Hi! New converter w/ cleaning kit question

Hi! First post here!

I recently purchased a new 223 Saiga and am already in the middle of "converting" it (back half). I like the handguard so I'm going to retain that. I already ditched the factory sling loop for a machine screw type sling swivel for the front handguard (left over Mossberg 500 mag cap part fit like a champ!).

For the back half, I'm going to use a CSS conversion kit w/ billet trigger guard, saw grip and K-var Warsaw length stock (will install a swivel screw into that as well, rather than utilize the sling loop).

I've already stripped the reciever and removed plate, painted the undersection (I used Restoleom flat black/textured.. which is amazing close to factory finish, although a tad more glossy), and am ready for the new parts. I will NOT be reusing the BHO (I want to keep this build simple, I see no need for a "partial" bho as it doesn't hold back all the way (behind mag), and it's just one more unnessesary part to fail during a critical moment as well as it interferes with trigger use with gloved hands), so will order an UNMODIFIED trigger group (standard AK, not Saiga specific) to accommodate the lack of BHO.

My main question is this: What do people use for a cleaning rod in the field? The Saiga has no provision for retaining the cleaning rod. Again, I'm keeping the stock front handguard, so swapping out for one that provides for the rod is out of the question. Since the K-var Warsaw buttstock has provision for the "cleaning kit" (which mine came with), I'd love to have some means of utilizing it! I even tried mating it with my Otis portable cleaning kit, but the cable will not mate with the brush (nor any other attachments in the kit). If it had, I'd simply coil up an Otis cable into the saw grip, but it's a no-go. I could always stuff a "boresnake" into the grip, but that still leaves the "cleaning kit" useless for me, as nothing in there attaches to anything.

Does anyone have any insight into this, or a solution (for utilizing the provided cleaning kit, which conveniently fits into the K-var stock, with a bore brush)?

Any help greatly appreciated!

I've been using a vz. 58 cleaning kit for field cleaning AK rifles without provision for a cleaning rod. The vz. 58 cleaning rod is made up of two segments that are screwed together - the entire kit, with the jag, brush and rod fits in a little canvas bag that can be tied to your belt if you so desire.

Edited by Shandlanos

I always carry supplied OEM (AK style) kit and customized extended cleaning assortment in my range bag.

Most of the time it's more than I need for a day at the Range.

Realistically, adding only 2-3 piece off-the-shelf rod (or "snake) and 2-chamber oil/solvent bottle (AK style) should be sufficient for a day trip.

Even these are for unexpected issues only.

You can even use multipurpose cleaning oil and utilize Saiga's oil bottle.

Speaking of OEM kit, learn its features.

I still amuse my new-to-AK friends with all the gadgetry, packed into small cylinder: from sight adjustment tool to gas port cleaner and pin knockout, etc.

Edited by Sgt. Raven

I just use k-var stocks and keep the cleaning kit in the buttstock.

I modded the front end to accept a cleaning rod, but if I didn't, then I would just take a brass one that unscrews into smaller sections. If I did that, I would replace the cleaning brush in the kit with one that would screw onto the new rod I'd be using.

I still amuse my new-to-AK friends with all the gadgetry, packed into small cylinder: from sight adjustment tool to gas port cleaner and pin knockout, etc.

Would the 'gas port cleaner' be for AKMs with the 45 degree gas block? I can see how the pin can be used to clear a blocked gas port. Or are you talking about something for the 90 degree gas blocks that I dont know about?

Standard kit includes tool, "inherited" from AK/AKM kits.

I don't know any better use than just knocking down heavy carbon deposits.

K-Var is offering something a lot more practical (P/N AK-01GPCT):

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17745&cat=284&page=1

Or you can bent brass rod to your liking.

Check alternative AK kits on this page (scroll ~2/3 down to "AK47 Cleaning Parts")

http://www.ak-47.us/AK47_Parts.php#akcccc

East German kit offers more tools.

It also available from CTD for 7.62mm rifles: better description is here:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CLN021-6.html

My $.02.

Happy Shooting!