New to the forum and need a bit of advice on my 223 setup

Hello all, I have had a .223 for about a year and bought a Tapco intrafuse stock set for it but after getting ready to install the set something doesnt look right. I think the trigger has been moved up on my gun. I purchased it from a friend of my girlfriends that we dont have contact with anymore and I do not have the background of his mods to the gun. I am posting a pic see if you guys can tell. Thanks

post-42618-0-51426800-1338220345_thumb.jpg

Your rifle has been at least partially converted/restored by have the trigger group moved forward. I'm not that familiar with the T6, but it may be designed for a rifle that has not had the trigger group moved. Your best bet is to go with a "traditional" pistol grip and buttstock.

• Like 1

Your rifle has been at least partially converted/restored by have the trigger group moved forward. I'm not that familiar with the T6, but it may be designed for a rifle that has not had the trigger group moved. Your best bet is to go with a "traditional" pistol grip and buttstock.

This was the state I bought it in

IMG00012-20101014-1838.jpg

Edited by Zsolt67

From the picture, your saiga 223 has been converted and restored back to the AK configuration.

You really need the T6 stock for regular AK (not for Saiga ).

I am not sure if you can remove the pistol grip from your current T6 stock just using the stock. Other with T6 stock experience maybe able to help.

Edited by AE86FL
  • Like 1

At first I thought it was installed incorrectly, but now I see it just looks to have a weird bend. Hmm. I'd just order a new premade guard from CSS or somewhere and call it a day. They are very cheap and easy enough to install.

Edited by Brian M1
  • Like 1

At first I thought it was installed incorrectly, but now I see it just looks to have a weird bend. Hmm. I'd just order a new premade guard from CSS or somewhere and call it a day. They are very cheap and easy enough to install.

Whats the part Im looking for?

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-MAGAZINES-dsh-DRUMS-cln-SAIGA-223/Categories

Okay, looks like you have somewhat of an answer here but I want to add a few things.

I agree with canoecanoe, looks like the original trigger guard was re-used. Mine is this way also, nothing wrong with it and the bolt and nut is hidden with the pistol grip.

If you bought this...

STK07160BLACK.jpg

That stock/PG combo is for an UN-converted saiga. You don't want to use this as yours has been converted. (hopefully you can return it or sell it)

If you are looking for something similar to the T6, just buy a Saw pistol grip and a stock like this...

STK06160BLACK(2).jpg

Okay, looks like you have somewhat of an answer here but I want to add a few things.

I agree with canoecanoe, looks like the original trigger guard was re-used. Mine is this way also, nothing wrong with it and the bolt and nut is hidden with the pistol grip.

If you bought this...

STK07160BLACK.jpg

That stock/PG combo is for an UN-converted saiga. You don't want to use this as yours has been converted. (hopefully you can return it or sell it)

If you are looking for something similar to the T6, just buy a Saw pistol grip and a stock like this...

STK06160BLACK(2).jpg

Thanks for the info, what do you recommend for a pistol grip?

Out of what I have used, I like the Hogue grip so far. I've used the standard grip (like you have in your pic), the Saw grip and a Galil grip but none of those felt right.

Hogue-AK-grip.jpg

• Like 2

Out of what I have used, I like the Hogue grip so far. I've used the standard grip (like you have in your pic), the Saw grip and a Galil grip but none of those felt right.

Hogue-AK-grip.jpg

So I want a AK type not a Saiga correct?

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-292/Hogue-AK47-Saiga-monogrip/Detail

Edited by Zsolt67

You are correct. The rear of your rifle is no longer Saiga-fied and will accept standard AK pistol grips and stocks (for stamped receivers).

If you are going to replace the front handguard, you will need to buy specific Saiga furniture since the front of your rifle is not converted.

If you want to use standard AK front handguards you will need to purchase a lower handguard retaining bracket and install it (easy).

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-460/Saiga-Lower-Hand-guard/Detail

Then your rifle will be able to accept standard AK front handguards (though, a standard gas tube will need some modding).

You are correct. The rear of your rifle is no longer Saiga-fied and will accept standard AK pistol grips and stocks (for stamped receivers).

If you are going to replace the front handguard, you will need to buy specific Saiga furniture since the front of your rifle is not converted.

If you want to use standard AK front handguards you will need to purchase a lower handguard retaining bracket and install it (easy).

http://store.carolin...nd-guard/Detail

Then your rifle will be able to accept standard AK front handguards (though, a standard gas tube will need some modding).

Thanks for the great info!

Speaking of spares and leftovers...

Are you planning to fill up the original trigger group (FCG) pin holes?

I have plastic plugs I used before installing the receiver adapter for my folder.

You can have them for free: I'll just slip them into regular envelope, or send me self-addressed and stamped bubble envelope if care about more protection.

Send me PM if interested.

P.S. Maybe we should start "leftover and surplus" thread with"free to good shooters" stuff listed?

Edited by Sgt. Raven
  • Like 2

Just a little "heads up". Check the three parts of the fire control group (FCG) trigger, hammer and disconnector and make sure that they are marked USA. Your rifle looks to be converted to a minimum of US parts count per 922r. The buttstock looks to be an Arsenal stock and should also have USA on it. This will keep you legal unless you use US made mags only as they will make up three of the required parts listed, body, follower and floorplate and offset the FCG.