Jamming on Hood

In my experience, the best material for spacing the front of the follower to reduce tilting is UHMW -- it's self lubricating and comes on a self adhesive roll. It's used for wear strips on conveyors and other friction points on machinery. Cut it to size with scissors. The 0.036" thickness works best. McMaster-Carr has it "Wear-Resistant Slippery UHMW Tape 1" Wide X 5 Yards Long, .036" Thickness" Part Number 76445A772. It about $15 a roll.

• Like 3

In my experience, the best material for spacing the front of the follower to reduce tilting is UHMW -- it's self lubricating and comes on a self adhesive roll. It's used for wear strips on conveyors and other friction points on machinery. Cut it to size with scissors. The 0.036" thickness works best. McMaster-Carr has it "Wear-Resistant Slippery UHMW Tape 1" Wide X 5 Yards Long, .036" Thickness" Part Number 76445A772. It about $15 a roll.

That's a good tip.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally made it to the range last Wednesday.

Before going I put all 4 of my SGM 8 rounders in the boiling water with the sparkplug socket. Also dremelled each one so that no part of the top of the rim would drag before coming to the top.

Also ordered four followers from AGP. These fit perfectly and kept the nose of the shell further down. I was getting impatient and decided a drastic change was in order. Wanted to make sure I covered as many variables as possible.

Tested all 5 magazines (factory and SGM) with 250 rounds of Winchester Universal and Super-X #7.5. Only had failure in one magazine. All others functioned perfectly. The one magazine had obvious marks of the top of the rim dragging.

Also ran slug through it for the first time. Fired Winchester slugs with the factory 5 rounder. Surpised how pleasant they were to shoot and how accurate.

Ran Rio 00 Buck through the temperamental magazine with no failures. This goes without saying as the photo I posted shows how much longer they are. I ended up reworking the magazine and feel it should be as good as all of the others now.

Overall I am greatly plesased now with the gun. Even more so now that I know it will run Universal.

Feels so good to have a pleasant range day!

downloadfile-8.jpg

• Like 2