Sgm magazines durability over time.

So I picked up a sgm mag and after the first range trip I noticed some of the plastic is already worn away on the follower. Only a small spot but I can see some metal. Sorry I don't have a good camera but it's on the bump that the first round sits next to.

It works fine and I had no problems. Just wondering if this wear is typical and what I can expect over time.

SGM (Formerly Surefire) mags have plastic followers with a metal "hump" insert. That hump usually comes bare to begin with. Perhaps you didn't notice it when new? At any rate.. it's normal and will not affect funtion. Don't worry. :-) They are fantastic mags, and despite being plastic (other than spring and insert in follower), have a reputation for lasting quite some time.

I have a few SGM (surefire gun mags?) in here. I took a look and I dont see too much wear. Although to be honest, I've never really used them for more than one range trip and like 200 rounds spread out over 4 of them.

Now, the FOLLOWER in itself, has metal in it. Mostly in the rear, I think. This is the part that functions as a bolt hold open on the last round. The bolt face hits that bump (which does not exist on AK mags), and gets 'jammed' on it. Then when you remove the mag, the bolt carrier flies forward. It would make sense that the bolt constantly hitting the follower (when the gun runs empty) would create some wear on the hump on the follower. This is why metal is used, it makes sure that the bolt does not chew up the hump.

For what its worth- metal beats plastic. This doesn't mean that the plastic will crumble and fall apart into DUST, but it does mean that the plastic will "break in" to the gun. This will create a little bit of wear around where the plastic touches the gun. Its perfectly normal and no cause for concern.

Now if you were using PROMAGs, then yes, you would need to worry, as those tend to fall into pieces.

SGM, though is good to go.