Checkpoint-USA or Waffen Werks VZ-58

Went to the gun store today and saw a VZ-58 but it did not say Checkpoint-USA but D-Technik A.S. Check Republic Waffen Werks Knoxville, TN. They kept assuring me it was a Checkpoint-USA but they were really busy and I did not want to keep asking questions. Came home and tried looking on the net for answers and coming up with nothing.

Can someone please help me with some information on these companies? I looked on the net for a comparison and with the name Waffen all I get is WWII references. Had two sites that were somewhat along the lines of what I was looking for but did not help.

Is Checkpoint-USA Waffen Werks? or does Checkpoint-USA import the CZ-58 from Waffen Werks? or does Waffen Werks import the rifles from Check Repub and sell them to Checkpoint-USA to sell? Sorry for the confusion but that's what I am right now...confused.

Went to the gun store today and saw a VZ-58 but it did not say Checkpoint-USA but D-Technik A.S. Check Republic Waffen Werks Knoxville, TN. They kept assuring me it was a Checkpoint-USA but they were really busy and I did not want to keep asking questions. Came home and tried looking on the net for answers and coming up with nothing.

Can someone please help me with some information on these companies? I looked on the net for a comparison and with the name Waffen all I get is WWII references. Had two sites that were somewhat along the lines of what I was looking for but did not help.

Is Checkpoint-USA Waffen Werks? or does Checkpoint-USA import the CZ-58 from Waffen Werks? or does Waffen Werks import the rifles from Check Repub and sell them to Checkpoint-USA to sell? Sorry for the confusion but that's what I am right now...confused.

D-Technik is the Czech manufacturer of brand new receivers and barrels for these things. Czechpoint is the importer/distributer. Waffen Werks are the guys who Czechpoint contracts to do the actual work on these rifles: widening the mag wells, installing the internals, etc.CZ-USA used to go through Czechpoint to get their vz58s too. Waffen Werks is a very good shop. They do some great AK builds.

I've handled several of the CzechPoint VZ58's--they are very well-built firearms. Only negative comment would be the plastic parts they use for 922r compliance (trigger, etc.) That's not enough to stop me from owning one though.

I've handled several of the CzechPoint VZ58's--they are very well-built firearms. Only negative comment would be the plastic parts they use for 922r compliance (trigger, etc.) That's not enough to stop me from owning one though.

The plastic trigger is not that big of a deal, because it's actually a striker-fired weapon. The trigger just serves as a button.

I have been looking at VZ58s myself and I also want to stay away from century. I very rarely see a VZ58 here that is not a century in the gun stores, and that's if I see a VZ58 at all in the shops around here.

• Like 1

I have been looking at VZ58s myself and I also want to stay away from century. I very rarely see a VZ58 here that is not a century in the gun stores, and that's if I see a VZ58 at all in the shops around here.

Pretty much how it is around here. I'll see what's on the market at the gun show tomorrow. Haven't been in nearly six months, so perhaps there'll be something new.