S20 rescue thread

I'm new to Saigas. I bought an S12 a few weeks ago and converted it last weekend and absolutely love it. I asked my lgs about a Saiga 20 because I thought it would be fun for smaller people to shoot (read: my gf might like to go shooting more if she can handle one). My lgs informed me that they can't find them listed from any of their suppliers and that it looks like they aren't being made. I figured I'd end up getting a 410 but found a used S20 at a pawn shop in town and picked it up. I can tell this thing has been beat up some, but I've never known AK weapons to be easily broken so I bought the thing.

I broked it down in the store to make sure I didn't see anything broken or cracked but didn't attempt to remove the gas plug. Now that I'm home and am trying to get it off it's being a bitch. This thing is on there. I soaked it in oil and am letting it sit for a while before I get back to it.

Anyways, I plan on updating this thread as I perform modifications. It seems like there are less parts out there for this platform, but I think it'll be a fun project. I'll get some pics posted in a bit. It seems like this is the place to go for questions so be ready for them, and thanks in advance.

Daryl

mine was the same way.

first you need to make a tool for the plug. i used a socket that fit the recess in the plug. then cut slots that i slid a piece of flat steel to grab the slots in the plug.

use a vise to hold the gas block. heat the gas block with a torch. use you tool with a long ratchet handle. in my case it took about an 18" bar over the handle. and twist like hell. it finally broke free.

Edited by smartbomb
  • Like 2

ok, i got it out. i had to take it over to a friend's place that had a big vice. heating up the gas block was the trick. i ended up using the old chisel and hammer; looks like i'll be getting one of the snazzy new 5 setting gas plug caps now.

there was a lot of rust in the threads and in the ring lands below the threads. i don't know the technical terms for a lot of stuff so i revert back to my car knowledge.

here's some pics i snapped. my cell phone isn't the best and the lighting sucks, but there are gun parts in there so try not to complain too much....

the aftermath....

photobucket-25259-1338518362545.jpg

photobucket-18435-1338518439396.jpg

the bolt carrier and bolt:

photobucket-29996-1338518383688.jpg

photobucket-28824-1338518403015.jpg

and the furniture that came on it. why anyone would want a pistol grip without moving the trigger forward is beyond me. the trigger sucks with the extra pivot/slop points.

photobucket-24469-1338518420945.jpg

and here's one of the 1911 i built a little while ago. it's a 38 super with a fusion frame/slide. i'm waiting for a 9mm storm lake barrel to come in so i can shoot either round through it. 9mm is way cheaper with as much shooting as i like to do. you may ask why i'm putting a 1911 pic in here. answer: because i love this pic and post it up whenever i have a chance...

photobucket-36161-1337610542826.jpg

yes, it's shooting a little high. i'm not going to change the front site out until i fit the 9mm barrel.

anyways, i'll be playing with the S20 a lot between now and my next deployment. i'll try to start posting better pics; it's just a pain to carry a camera and a cell phone around.

I got the gas block off and found 4 nice holes in the barrel. I am tracking down a tap for the gas plug. the threads are a little damaged and I'd rather not try to force them. I think I'm going to go with a tac-47 auto plug. I like the idea of not having to change settings every time I switch ammo.

photobucket-31329-1338529691606.jpg

Some choke tube paste helps keep them removable.. And I put some dry film spray on just the puck to keep the plastic residue from sticking, and keep the gas tube dry and oil free.

Would choke tube paste work better than anti-seize on the threads? I have some a-s but don't have choke tube paste. I'll have to shop around for some. Thanks for the tip!

I read up on the thread about how to remove the gas block and everything was pretty straight forward with one exception. Once I got the gas block moved down far enough he said to remove the gas tube. How does the gas tube come off, and more importantly, does it need to come off for any reason? I have it sitting in the gun vice with the gas tube still in the receiver and it doesn't seem to want to just pull out.

Some choke tube paste helps keep them removable.. And I put some dry film spray on just the puck to keep the plastic residue from sticking, and keep the gas tube dry and oil free.

Would choke tube paste work better than anti-seize on the threads? I have some a-s but don't have choke tube paste. I'll have to shop around for some. Thanks for the tip!

Its the same stuff.

Try Dinzag for the gas block tap. it is NOT the same thread pattern as the muzzle. Use lots of cutting oil when using the tap and go slowly, 1/4 to 1/2 turn then back off at a time. I think it was an M22x1.0.

nyclu3

I have an M22 x 1.0 bottom tap on the way already. My brother works for a large fab shop and tracked one down for me.

The email reply I got from tac-47 said that the plug was designed for the S12 but should work on S20, but I might need to open up the ports a little. I have the gas block off now and haven't measured the hole diameters of the ports but I think they look pretty good. I'll probably enlarge the opening of the hole in the gas block itself and hope for the best. I don't want to have to take it back off again after I'm done.

I have the conversion kit on the way from CSS. I bought my kit for the S12 through them and was really happy with it. I like the design of their trigger guard.

I"m going to have to refinish this gun before it all goes back together. I've been thinking of using the high temp engin enamel instead of duracoating it. I read up on the painting thread and the links it took me to already. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with this? I've sprayed a few rifles on deployments in the past and haven't had any issues. Should I strip down the finish that's on there now since it isn't very durable?

I used a hand drill to clean out the four gas ports on the barrel and started prepping the receiver for the conversion kit I have on the way. I have to leave town for a few days so hopefully all of my parts will be in for me to put this back together next weekend.

photobucket-18235-1338757943356.jpg

I cut the rear tang and filed it down flush. All I have left to do is chase the gas plug threads, clean it, paint it, and reassemble it with the new parts when they come in.

I have a set of hk sights on the way with my parts. I was initially going to put them on my S12 but I might use them on this one.

I also have to figure out which forearm I want to use. Do all S12 forearms fit on S20's?

photobucket-8414-1338760112812.jpg

sorry for the crappy lighting. I guess kitchens don't make the best gunsmithing shops. I really need more lighting in here.

I picked up the M22 x 1.0 bottom tap last night and cleaned up the threads. The plug easily threads in now. My conversion parts came in the mail from CSS and my auto plug came in from Tac-47 as well. I'm ready to get started on this thing after work. I'll post up some more crappy pics tonight.

i got the gas block back on and shot it with paint. when i picked the engine enamel up i just grabbed a can with a flat black lid and moved on. it's semi-gloss. it's definitely a bit shinier than i wanted. i might go back and sand/repaint it later, but i want to get it out to run some rounds through it first.

i know i should have let the paint cure for at least 24 hours, but i had all these parts and just couldn't help myself....

it's the standard conversion kit from css with the css trigger guard and ace 8.5" stock. i'm going to let it sit like this overnight and will continue to reassemble it tomorrow. i need to clean the bolt up some more and don't want to slam that factory handguard back on till the paint has had more time to dry.

photobucket-6661-1339029709252.jpg

i did notice that i still have a lot of trigger movement with the safety on. the sear is still holding the hammer when it hits but i'd prefer it to be tighter. I'm going to look at a way to add some material to either the safety or the sear to keep it from moving as much.

• 3 weeks later...

hows the build progressing? any chance i could talk you into sending me your bolt for some testing in my gun?

IMG_20111222_122652-1.jpg

some pics o my recent 1911 build. its a 45 acp with a colt slide that someone milled new sighs in wrong place. i hand filed some new sights outta brass-aluminum....IMG_20120503_004744.jpg

IMG_20120507_140908.jpg

IMG_20120607_121611.jpg

IMG_20120617_203729.jpg

some pics where i was trying to adjust the sights. i made em pretty high for use with a suppressor. see that brown splotch? that was blood from my thumb. i accidentally stapled it to the target, so i used some to make a contrast for a point of aim reference...