Does IZ332 require a bullet guide for AK magazine?

I read on another thread, from Mr. BlahX3, that there maybe some IZ332 out there that doesn't require a bullet guide to use an AK mag. To avoid hijacking that other thread, I'd might as well just start a new one. Hope you don't mind BlahX3, I copy and pasted your post here:

"You may not need a bullet guide.

My Saiga 7.62 IZ 332 is fully 922 compliant.

I had to file my mag catch for it to accept "regular" AK47 magazines.

While I had the AK 47 mag in I though why not so I pulled the bolt back and it chambers and ejects from each of my magazines. Metal surplus, Circle 10's, all of them.

Without a bullet guide installed.

Woohoo"

Prior to reading Mr.BlahX3 post, I purchased a 10 round magazine from a vendor at a Gun Show. Vendor claimed it was for a Saiga 7.62x39. After taking it home, I compared it to the factory mag and noticed the forward lip of the opening were different. When the Gun Show arrived in town again, I talked to the same vendor and asked if they truly are selling the correct Saiga magazines. They took my factory magazine and started comparing it to the different AK and Saiga magazines that they offered. The vendor came back and said the factory magazine actually matched closer to a standard AK magazine. Well, I was a bit shocked, and wasn't sure what to think. I looked at the lips of the AK mag, and it did seem to match somewhat to the factory Saiga mag. I started to question (to myself) if the vendor organized their inventory correctly. I decided not to buy or exchange anything until I learn more of what's going on. Now reading Mr.BlahX3 post, I think I may have the same situation now where my rifle does not require a bullet guide. Afterall, the factory magazine appear to look like the standard AK magazine. Unfortunately, I don't have a true AK magazine readily available to compare or test at home.

Now, my question to everyone, can anyone else elaborate more on this? Was this a variance in manufacturing? Has anyone else been able to use and AK mag on an IZ332 without bullet guide?

I attached the photo of the two mags I have on hand. I did my best to focus but this cheap point and shoot camera don't have much too offer. The smaller black one is the factory magazine. The earth tone colored one is the aftermarket "supposed" Saiga compatible magazine. Unfortunately no photo of a true AK magazine.

Thanks in advanced. Sorry for being long winded.

post-40056-0-08104100-1338522396_thumb.jpg

post-40056-0-46171600-1338522452_thumb.jpg

The purchased magazine is NOT stock saiga compatible. The mag is a "normal" ak mag. The two distinguishing features are the thicker rear lug and lack of a raised lip. These will not lock into a saiga that has not been filed down. As for feeding, some people have had luck with normal magazines feeding in guns without bullet guides but it can also vary from magazine to magazine. It may or may not feed in your gun but if you plan to use this after market mag I would HIGHLY suggest using a bullet guide, especially with hollow points. They are notorious for feeding problems. If I were you I would install a bullet guide and file down the mag catch, I would also stock up on surplus mags of your choice. You can also make the saiga mag feed in a gun that has had a bullet guide/filed down mag catch by taking a dremel and cutting down the front feed lip to match normal mags.

Thanks for taking the time folks. I was totally oblivious to the hollow point bullets. I haven't come across those yet. I can imagine the issues one can have with those. I'll see how far I can get away w/out a bullet guide for now. If it gets too problematic, I'll have one installed. I am not a machinist and such, I'd probably have to hire a gunsmith to put one in for me. I'm slowly seeing bullet guide install gone bad stories out there, I'd probably be one of them.

I use the thermold 30 round mags in my IZ332 w/o bullet guide with no problems. I had to file the mag a little to get it to lock in. I probably have about 500 rounds ran through it, but only 1 box of hollow points. I will eventually add the bullet guide whenever I get around to it, but maybe not since it works fine.