Saiga 7.62x39 Conversion Help for an AK Newb

Being a long-time AR guy, I have never owned an AK before. A few months ago I decided it was time to change that. Since I've already converted two Saiga-12s, I decided to give a 7.62x39mm Saiga conversion a try. I bought a 16" Saiga Model 170260 (IZ 132?) as my starting platform, but it has been sitting in its box for almost two months now while I try to figure out what-the-hell I want to do with/to it.

I've built a bunch (and I mean a BUNCH) of ARs myself, and I've converted two Saiga-12s. I have access to all sorts of tools, a welder and a great Cerkote guy. Since the AK platform is (or has the illusion of being) "simple", I figured this would be an easy conversion/build. The more I dig, the more I find that's not the case.

I want to keep things light and simple. I'd like to have a collapsible stock because my wife and daughter will be shooting it. I want a railed gas tube to mount a micro dot of some sort. I'd like to shorten the barrel and pin/weld a muzzle device (AKBC?).

With the exception of the stock, what I am basically interested in doing is converting this:

IZ132.jpg

Into something like this, only in 7.62x39mm:

hsp.jpg

I've been reading all about Travis' gun (pictured above) and I've seen a few videos of Jim Fuller explaining what all he changed on a "factory gun". He started with a Century Arms gun, though. I'll be starting with a Saiga.

I think I'm good on the back end of the conversion. I'm good on the 922® compliance thing. It's the front end that has me confused as I know that the Saiga front end is different than a standard, "real" AK. I'm a bit confused about what all I'll need to do to my Saiga to set it up like the RD/HSP gun (with the Bolton gas-block, Ultimak, etc). Can someone set me straight?

I am not asking about converting the back half of the Saiga. I've done that before with a pair of Saiga 12s.

I am not asking about the stock. I've also done that before, and I am familiar with folders, fixed stocks and collapsable stocks.

I am aware of the legalities of shortening a barrel and pinning and welding a muzzle device. I own multiple NFA toys already, and I've got a few pinned ARs as well.

What I am asking is what is different in the front half of a Saiga than any other "traditional" AK. What is required to put a normal forend on it? What has to be done to get an Ultimak on it?

FYI: I ordered the Jim Fuller AK Armorer video from Panteao hoping that it might help, but it hasn't arrived yet and I'm bored at work and in a "parts shopping" mood.

the front end of a saiga is pretty much the same front end as an ak 100 series. it has a similar front sight and gas block. By this I mean, the front sight has a barrel sleeve instead of a 24mm thread adapter attached to it. The gas block does not have the accessory lug and the cross pin is longer and extends outside the block. this pin is for holding the saiga forearm on.

You may wish to look at the following items, bulgarian front sight with 24mm threads, ultimak gas rail, k-var lower forearm, and a lower handgaurd retainer. You can get lower retainers that you can personally modify to fit, or pre fabricated ones that will fit. Dinzag usually has some, along with a few other places.

these items will give a very similar look to what you have pictured.

The FSB and gas block can either be pressed off or cut off, depending on whether you might want to reuse them.

When you take off the FSB and the gas block (as per your build), you can slip on any old AK lower hand guard retainer. You will need to cut/file a groove for it in the barrel (it is good practice--and sometimes necessary--to do this even with a bolt-on retainer).

As you are just threading the barrel for an attachment, any difference in the FSB shouldn't affect you. RD's bolt-on (bolton?) gas block should just clamp right on over the old gas port. I believe Saiga's have a 90 degree gas port? Someone else jump in on that. If so, you'll have to get one of Rifle Dynamics promised new version that supports either 45 or 90, as the original is evidently only compatible with the 45.

Good luck!

I found the new version of the Bolton block that works with 45 and 90 degree gas ports at Venom Tactical. I think I can order the AK Battlecomp right from Rifle Dynamics, right?

Since I don't have a press, I guess I'll need to cut the gas block and front sight off. If I can find someone to shorten and thread my barrel (and maybe notch it for me), I think I can do the rest.

Does anyone know of a 'smith in Ohio (Central Ohio would be awesome!) that can do the work I need?

Also: Should I order the Ultimak with or without ports? There are no ports in the Saiga gas tube, but I'm pretty sure the Bolton block I'll be using isn't vented, so should I get the vented tube? I will not be using a suppressor on this gun.

Edited by Hooz