I put one of these on mine. It cuts the recoil and looks better than the Tapco..

I got the parkerized one..

Can you link that here or PM it to me? So far im looking at:

AMD65Tech 3 hole 4.3" brake - $45

IMG_0349.JPG

CNCwarrior Draco Muzzle Extension 4.7" - $40

25001-2T.jpg?1352231649

Extended M92 Krink style 4.7" - $160

Extended Bulgarian 4 piece style 4.7" - $90

23984-2T.jpg?1352055565

I like the look of the AMD65tech one, but I dont want something loud and annoying at the range. The bulgarian is supposed to work amazing, but weights a more than a 1/2 pound (!) which again defeats the purpose of a light, quick manuevering AK. Im concerned the Krink style will cause issues, as the design is in part mean to help the draco cycle, a problem we dont have.

Someone needs to do that bulgarian 4-piece style in lighter aluminum. I think the tradeoff of durability vs weight would be worth it in that case.

Edited by mostholycerebus

So, my understanding is that some are built in the USA using FEG recivers and som are built in HUngary onFEG recievers. How can you tell which is which?

It will say FEG on the receiver. I think all the big vendors are selling the FEG versions at this time.

ive always wanted an amd65, but never got over its ugly (to me) utilitarian look. so i built one, with mods. it was a bit of a challenge because everything required refitting or shimming.

DSC_0109.jpg

amd65 pattern barrel, amd65 front trunnion, amd65 length piston, extended 3 hole brake from amd65tech which i extended further by an inch at the end, amd65 trigger guard, and built on a 1.5mm receiver. the rest polish underfolder, NOS bolt & carrier, selector, bulgarian hinge block, gas tube, hand guards, resized cleaning rod, tula krink dustcover, russian pistol grip, galil front sight gas block, east german sling

the 45 degree 1/8 size gas port hole is about a half an inch away from the muzzle, and it cycles beautifully even after throwing a handful of dirt inside the action ( hey, if it cant handle dirt, its a bad build imo). 16.5 inch barrel, with 12 inches of rifling. i welded a 1 inch steel spacer in front of the amd65tech 3 hole brake. imo i think it looks better than the 4 hole. the brake will not make your gun front-heavy and does its job with the recoil. some people might not like it because its loud, me i like big loud fireballs.

Edited by m1lk
  • Like 1

So, my understanding is that some are built in the USA using FEG recivers and som are built in HUngary onFEG recievers. How can you tell which is which?

It will say FEG on the receiver. I think all the big vendors are selling the FEG versions at this time.

Sure, but just because they are built on an FEG reciever, that does not mean that they weren't built in the US. The reciever isn't, but the rifle may be. I have a Global Trades AK built in the US on a FEG reciever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just got mine in yesterday. Tapcos wont fit right, the front of the magwell is too tight so there isnt enough front-back space for the mags to fit it. Comblocks lock in quick and easy. I filed the front contact points and have a few tapcos that will work now, but i wouldnt really trust them for reloading under fire.

I really like the rifle, but it is front heavy. This is why I sold off the 16" upper on my 5# AR project to make a shorter barrel pistol instead. The amd65tech riser should restore some balance, but i really need to get weight off the front end. Not sure if i wanna go with a lightweight pinned comp (FSC30 is only 3.4oz) or just get an SBR stamp, which will also cut 2" off OAL, let me swap muzzle devices, and let me save $ on useless 922r parts.

• 1 month later...

I'm trying something different with mine. About the only thing I wasn't crazy about with the AMD is the factory PG's. They are fairly comfortable and ergonomic but just always seemed like an afterthought. Looking at other options but not wanting to deviate too far beyond the original design, I found that the original style "candybar" grip is relatively comfortable as a replacement and looks natural on (any) AKM variant. Feels good in the hands and just as maneuverable as the originals. The only downside is these grips are a little smaller, but not too much of an issue with the lightest production AKM next to a Draco or M92...

post-17248-0-57185700-1362578935_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Some FEG AMDs had a lousy job done on the single to double stack machining. I'm pretty sure they were made oversized to accomodate the polymer US made mags so it can be sold as 922r compliant. I've got one thats so wide that with a little force I can pull a steel 20 round mag out w/out hitting the release.

IMO the best option for an AMD is to build your own on a Nodak receiver.

• 1 month later...

If you really have a hard on for one and cant wait for a deal, id try for $550 OTD. Showing up with cash in hand usually helps when dealing. However, at $600 you are getting pretty close to decent AR15 or Vepr territory. Unles it comes with extras.

The AMD65 virtually requires a $50 stock adapter. If you ever want anything other than irons, your only options are the MI forend or Ultimak. The cheap plastic grips are old, thin, and slippy, so expect to replace them with a Hogue or similar. The finish is spray paint. The mag wells sometimes are tight or loose (generally tight). There are 922r issues.

Its a great weapon. Im into mine for $650 and I love it. Lots of fun. But then, I built a REALLY nice AR15 for $750. Every once in awhile Veprs go for $500-$700. In that context, I wouldn't jump at much over $450 unless I really wanted one now and could live with overpaying.

The UTG made in USA quad rails are about $70 and are very nice. Except the rail covers which are way to thick

Will they work with a bare gas tube? The AMD doesnt have the upper handguard retainer bit, just like a stock saiga. Plus, they are supposed to be very heavy.

Just took my AMD65 out today and did 200 rounds at the range, lots of fun. Surprisingly, my 5.56 AR with Rainier mini comp was LOUDER.

• 4 months later...

I love mine. I screwed and mounted a rail on the bottom of the heat shield and put a afg on it and replaced the back with a hogue.. I want the dog leg from texas weapons systems.. so I can get a rear peep sight and red dot .. they are fun and loud for sure. Anyone got that dogleg ill trade a drum for it lol

As I read this I remember a guy from another forum saying he was reaching 300yards with his in a 12"x14" target and hitting it all day. Mine is accurate enough at 75 yards I am suprised. Guy in texas is selling his for $650. Which is way steep but not horrible because they are hard to find. I love mine. Trying to get the money together for parabellum armament rail or tws.