Izhmash updates the Saiga 12

Will be interesting how this effects the aftermarket if they are cleared by the ATF to import here.

For example the integral Magwell may encourage the drum manufacturers to have their new devices fit this magwell which would make it the defacto standard magwell even if other aftermarket rigs are better.

Will be interesting how this effects the aftermarket if they are cleared by the ATF to import here.

For example the integral Magwell may encourage the drum manufacturers to have their new devices fit this magwell which would make it the defacto standard magwell even if other aftermarket rigs are better.

Like the bottom of the article says,

Historically the ATF has blocked the importation of sweet and glorious machines such as these, claiming that they have no sporting purposes (a particular irony as that is given this shotgun was developed specifically for competition shooting), however a recent act of Congress, H.R. 5326—the appropriations bill for the Departments of Commerce and Justice, Science, and Related Agencies fiscal year 2013—passed on May 10th, 2012, prohibiting:

"...The Department of Justice from requiring imported shotguns to meet a "sporting purposes" test that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has used to prohibit the importation of shotguns with one or more features disliked by the Agency, such as adjustable stocks, extended magazine tubes, etc."[/Quote]

they can't deny them.

Edited by theturtlepond
  • Like 2

They'll be great for the "buy and shoot" crowd. But for those of us that have gotten the convert bug, meh.

Besides, an extended neck on a drum would bugger with my bullpup build.

Edited by BpS12
  • Like 1

Like the bottom of the article says,

Historically the ATF has blocked the importation of sweet and glorious machines such as these, claiming that they have no sporting purposes (a particular irony as that is given this shotgun was developed specifically for competition shooting), however a recent act of Congress, H.R. 5326—the appropriations bill for the Departments of Commerce and Justice, Science, and Related Agencies fiscal year 2013—passed on May 10th, 2012, prohibiting:

"...The Department of Justice from requiring imported shotguns to meet a "sporting purposes" test that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has used to prohibit the importation of shotguns with one or more features disliked by the Agency, such as adjustable stocks, extended magazine tubes, etc."[/Quote]

they can't deny them.

I wan't to beleive.

• Like 1

The safety is the button above the trigger..

Some variation of this is more likely.. The top mount is nice and is clearly allowed by the current view by ATF. But that stock and muzzle device are going to not be allowed.

Some pics from official site

1 Picture of Ilyn with his Saiga-12 for IPSC.

saiga_12_2.jpg

2 Picture of Ilyns Saiga-12 for IPSC.

saiga_12_fpsr.jpg

3 Picture of Ilyn with his Saiga-12 for IPSC.

saiga_12.jpg

This new model looks almost like my gun.

100_2705.jpg

IMHO, this Saiga-12 for IPCS looks almost like Ilyns Vepr-12, not your Saiga sad.png. This Saiga-12 as well as Vepr-12 for IPSC was made under cooperation of IPCS shooter Vsevolod Ilyn and Molot and Izhmash. Most ideas of his Vepr-12 IPCS ware moved to Saiga-12 platform with regulated gas block.

Vepr-12 VPO-206 IPSC model, was made in cooperation of IPSC shooter Mr.Vselolod Ilyn and Chief Constructor of VYATSKIEPOLYANY MACHINE BULDING PLANT(Molot) Mr. Sergey Urzhumtsev, has many improvements such as: Collapsible Buttstock with Buffer and Buffer Sping, Metal Magazine Well, Picatinny M1913 instead of Rear Sight, Improved Trigger System, Improved Slide Stop Button, additional metal Barrel Handguard, Improved Gas block, Removable Left Bolt carrier Handle, Safety Button.

4 Picture of Ilyn with his Vepr-12 for IPSC.

Ilyn.jpg

Edited by PapaZorro

"...Saiga claims this shotgun is also modified for enhanced reliability, with early prototypes running 1,500 rounds without stoppages...."

1500 rounds?!?!? that's it? I'm only at 500 since my last cleaning, but I was hoping this weapon system could go for thousands upon thousands. I guess I'll see how far mine will go... scorn.gif

• Like 1

Some pics from official site

1 Picture of Ilyn with his Saiga-12 for IPSC.

saiga_12_2.jpg

2 Picture of Ilyns Saiga-12 for IPSC.

saiga_12_fpsr.jpg

3 Picture of Ilyn with his Saiga-12 for IPSC.

saiga_12.jpg

This new model looks almost like my gun.

100_2705.jpg

IMHO, this Saiga-12 for IPCS looks almost like Ilyns Vepr-12, not your Saiga sad.png. This Saiga-12 as well as Vepr-12 for IPSC was made under cooperation of IPCS shooter Vsevolod Ilyn and Molot and Izhmash. Most ideas of his Vepr-12 IPCS ware moved to Saiga-12 platform with regulated gas block.

Vepr-12 VPO-206 IPSC model, was made in cooperation of IPSC shooter Mr.Vselolod Ilyn and Chief Constructor of VYATSKIEPOLYANY MACHINE BULDING PLANT(Molot) Mr. Sergey Urzhumtsev, has many improvements such as: Collapsible Buttstock with Buffer and Buffer Sping, Metal Magazine Well, Picatinny M1913 instead of Rear Sight, Improved Trigger System, Improved Slide Stop Button, additional metal Barrel Handguard, Improved Gas block, Removable Left Bolt carrier Handle, Safety Button.

4 Picture of Ilyn with his Vepr-12 for IPSC.

Ilyn.jpg

I have to admit, you are correct.

I do have inverted left side fire controls

100_2713.jpg

But mine is the "Only" S12 in the world with a ported gas system.

100_2715.jpg

The "Bug Out" group.

100_2711.jpg

• Like 1

With them weapons, another persons help to operate two of them and plenty of ammo. Why the hell would you bug out unless a whole Brigade was coming was coming at you. big_smile.gif

So I don't have to shoot up asll my ammo. LOL.

I think it's funny how people usually want something just because they can't have it, or have been told they are not allowed to have it. (922r...)

I'm sure there are some here who can verify this, so it won't come as a surprise to them, but I have it from friends I've spoken to in the UK that some of those "coveted" features on the 030 style guns and others, which we have only recently been able to import here, they have actually been removing from their competition guns to get better reliability and ease of operation.

Among these features.... magwells AND the Russian LRBHO.... funny.

2c.gif

• Like 1

"coveted" features on the 030 style guns and others, which we have only recently been able to import here, they have actually been removing from their competition guns to get better reliability and ease of operation.

Among these features.... magwells AND the Russian LRBHO.... funny.

German, Czech dan Russian Guys who win IPCS European competiotions maybe forget to remove these options from their Vepr-12 and Saigas sad.png . Lets see Siagas/Veprs of the winers on Shotgun World Championship in Hungary in September.

Edited by PapaZorro

Not everyone is trying to build a competition/race gun.

True, BUT, guys like me like to build/modify them so that they run the best in the worst conditions. I'm not going to throw everything that is on a race gun on my gun, that makes no sense, but I WILL try to do every bit of reliability mods that they do!

r and r targets impressed me with this type of crap already. Its not a hard concept to make a box fed shotgun similar to an ar15. I know Europe and Russia are mastering these race saiga 12s but in America we have been customizing these things all the same without the blueprints.

• Like 1