Conversion finished (for now)!

I finished my Saiga 223 conversion today. I used CSS kit #6 (warsaw length). This kit included internals (I specified UNmodified FCG, as I am NOT reusing the bho), Billet Trigger guard, warsaw length Kvar fixed stock, and Tapco Saw Grip (which was "upgraded" to MFT Engage grip since they were out of Tapco Saw grips). The AK is a "no brainer" and easy to figure out and reassemble (especially with the encluded retainer piece in the kit). All went according to plan. Easy out with the internals, Dremel/drill the rivets holding the Saiga plate, Easy drill out of the original trigger group, etc. Since I used the JB Weld method of plugging the original trigger pin holes, I opted to spray the sides and under of the receiver with Rustoleum textured black (which looks awesome, btw). I then installed the billet trigger guard, fitted the Kvar stock (required some minor filing of corners at the trunion mating as well as where the bolt comes though for the rearmost billet TG bolt, and ditched the noisey "sling loop" drilled and installed a regular sling stud between where the sling loop screw holes are), installed unmodified G2 hammer, then unmodified TG, then let the springs back down into place. Then installed the MFT grip (love that grip, has finger grooves, texture (though not a sticky kind like Hogue) but admittedly lacks a decent beavertail so your hand wedges up against the receiver. Oh well). Other than the respray of the reciever (and JB weld), it was sooo easy! Also replaced the weak sling loop on the forearm with a left over machine screw type sling stud (left over from a Mossberg shotgun project). The paint, however, has been a PITA. It has a aVERY long cure time, and I've since baked it to speed it up. Still has a ways to go to fully cure though.

The only niggle I can pick about the CSS kit is: I wish CSS would drill/tap the billet trigger guard pistol grip hole ALL the way though. They do not. I'm sure they're thinking is, if you use it for a receiver without a PG hole (such as Saiga 12 or 308) you don't go too far with the screw. However... if you HAVE the PG hole (as 223's/7.62's do), then you are limited by the PG screw hole and it is VERY sensitive to length. Grips/screws hae varrying thicknesses/lengths and they do not play nice with the billet hole. The MFT replacement grip supplied a screw tht was too long and I had to stack numerous washers to "shorten" it up enough to work with the billet TG. This would not be an issue if CSS drilled/tapped the hole ALL the way though.

All in all.. I'm extremely pleased and happy with this project! It was easy, yet challenging enough to keep me entertained! And the result is amazing! I'll follow up with pics as soon as she's reassembled and ready to go!

Edited by Brian M1

008.jpg

009.jpg

Thank you to all on this forum for the info and insight for making this conversion a smooth process! With the help of this forum I was able to do this project the RIGHT way the FIRST time! Thank you again!

Edited by Brian M1
  • Like 1

Thanks guys! Yeah, I wanted to keep this build as simple/clean as possible. I do love the look of the stock Saiga forearm.

As for the MFT Engage grip (basic version, no changable back/frontstap), I do like it. The pebble texture and mild finger grooves give great purchase on it! The only gripe I have with the grip is it completely lacks ANY type of beavertail. It squares up to the receiver and is not as comfortable where the web of the hand meets the receiver. Other than that, though, I love it.

Just took it out today to function fire it (was a virgin Saiga!). Fired flawlessly with factory 10 rounder, and 30 rd SGM's. I almost laughed at the lack of recoil on this thing! I'm used to shooting a 18" mossberg 500 (short stock. That thing is WAYY lighter than the Saiga) 12ga 00, so this thing was laughable. SOOO much fun! I was also surprised at how it shot too. 1.5" @ 25 yrds, freehand (having a hard time adjusting to the sights, or lack thereof). The sights, surprisingly, needed to be at the 100m mark to shoot on point of aim. But directly in line and close groups they were! I'd much prefer a wider rear blade notch, but I guess I'll get used to it. Trigger (G2, unmodified) was excellent (slight creep, but clean break), and the handling was superb for what was once a VERY front heavy carbine. I'm soooo glad I did the conversion and would do it all over again! Absolute blast to shoot! This is going to be an expensive hobby now, as thing thing is now my favorite firearm to shoot :-)

That was one thing I was surprised about the .223 as well... almost no recoil. The rifle is so heavy and the round already has low recoil...

It was my first rifle though and I was surprised at how LOUD it was, lol. And the ball of flame.