Trap Shooting sights for saiga? bead front and rear sights?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so hello agian!

I just finished my trigger,pistol grip,stock and forend mod on my saiga. I bought lots of my stuff off of carolinashootersupply, they were great. I had it out to test with some friends at the range and decided to try it on some clays at the trap houses. I was wondering if anyone could suggest my best options for trap shooting sights? I've seen online that some people will just thread in a neon bead upfront (easy,cheap and looks good)...but what about the rear hornsight? The stock sights are all black and I'd like better target aquisition? Any suggestions as far as which beads to go with? other sight options? Has anyone put a small bead on the rear, larger up fron and taken off the horn, like the usual trap shotgun setup?

I was looking at CSS SAIGA 12 BOLT ON TACTICAL SIGHT SET

http://store.carolin...SAIGA-12/Detail

But I don't think theres enouph neon on the front raised sight for the price, lol. Or if I even like the look, or its benifit for trap shooting. Also, a front bead at midway costs 6-30 bucks, and the rear horn is again, black.

I know alot of trap shooting comes from just plane practice and the fit of your shotgun, and I defentaly need the practise. But I wouldn't mind the help of better sights.

Thanks!

Edited by cswann821

Interesting that you should ask about this, I was just on the Truglo site looking at the options for replacing the stock front bead. They have some items that are billed as being for "Wing/Clay" shooting.

The first one "Starbrite Deluxe" has a fiber diameter of .060" and is .25" long. The second "Fat Bead" is .100" in diameter and .50" long which should still fit replacing the front dot. I don't know what the best thread sizes would be. For clays something else might be better, I don't know. The page with these on it is here. I'd lean toward the larger diameter fiber which I think would mount a little differently than the bead replacement.

post-41803-0-18436400-1338844834.jpg

post-41803-0-51635200-1338844843.jpg

I was told you don't use sights when shooting skeet/trap. You simply learn the barrel and point. Not really something you can do with the saiga since the gas system completely hides the barrel from your eyesight.

I put Krebs sights on my gun and love them. Just get the bird in the ring and it's going down. Not exactly the fluid motion that skeet people go for. In fact I would hit them best with the gun pointing down & not completely shouldered, then once the clay pulls I'd draw the gun up and the sights would be on target.

I don't hunt or shoot skeet so I cannot say what's best for this purpose. For my use it seems that replacing the front bead with something more visible makes sense. +I have a UTG rail on top that allows the stock sights to be used. I may end up putting something on the rail but no matter what I do with the rail I'll always be able to use the stock setup in addition.

Are you againt putting a sight post on the end of the barrel?

For my own purposes I'd prefer not to, but I can't say what anyone else should do. If it's good for hunting or trap shooting then it should be considered.

I use a cheap red dot reflex sight and called a cheater when I do clays. I like it and its much easier. I almost feel bad but eh, I'm new to it and its fun keeping up with the so called pro's. That and the box mag semi looks out of place with the classic pumps and double barrels.

I've been shooting trap for 20+ years so.

Best sight for trap is a flat sight rail with a bead or fiberoptic front. Sometimes a mid-bead is used as well. (example sight picture here. You don't aim when shooting trap, you point-shoot, so the speed of rail-bead is best. Some models of S12 (the IZ108 for example) are actually sold with the right type of rail stock, but it's really too short for trap.

The main limiting factor on trap is going to be the S12's trigger. It's just not good compared to trapshooting triggers, the lock time alone is huge. Adjusting is going to be tricky.

Many ranges are going to require you to use a 2-shot magazine, so be ready there too.

Edited by Sian

I shot trap with my Saiga last week. First if you have a 19 inch barrel - forget it.

With the 24 inch barrel I hit about 15 out of 25 birds. Not bad considering that the Saiag is in no way built for trap. With more practice I will do better.

My range requires single loading so I just turned the gas system off and operated the S12 as a bolt action and left the magazine out entirely so I could load from the bottom.

Do not waste your money buying sites just for trap. Your point of aim will change with brand of ammo you use (or reloading recipe). I'm shooting 32 grains of W571 behind a claybuster wad and an ounce and a quarter of mixed #8 and #9 shot. If I cover the bird withmy barrel as I swing, it breaks the bird every time.

Thanks Sion and groovy mike....and everyone else.

The more I read, The more I think I just want to buy a cheap over under for Trap. I Heard CZ-USA has some good/cheaper ones. If the CZ shotgus are the same quality as their pistols I know I'll like it. They have over unders in the 600-900 range with is what I can spend. Diff cant dish out thousands for a trap gun / nor want too.

Anyways, as far as the S12 goes. I do have a 2 round mag, and I've just been loading through the chamber...which is a big pain in the butt. I think I'll just do a neon front bead or raised front sight attachment like the krib, until I get a real trapshotgun. I'd go with the raised front sight, because it's further down the barrel and would, I would think, let me line my shot up better or more accurately. The bead is nice but because of the gas system it to much to the rear it seems.

Has anyone used this raised sight from Carolina shooters.

http://store.carolin...SAIGA-12/Detail

It's the only one that I can find with neon in it. Can you put a colored front sight on the Krebs? I think I do prefer the circle rear sight on the krebs, rather than the horned pistol sight found to come with others.

Edited by cswann821
  • Like 1

I don't shoot trap competively so if that is your goal, ignore me. I shoot trap because I like busting targets and I want to get more time with my hunting shotguns. For me, trap is practice for hunting - so I shoot with my hunting guns - these include semi autos, side by sides , and outside hammer damascus guns. Use what you like and have fun, but don't feel like you need a dedicated trap gun just to enjoy trap. smile.png

Edited by Groovy Mike
  • Like 1

I've shot a lot of trap using a Benelli semi-auto, a Saiga, and an overunder.

With the Benelli I had rifle sights. This worked pretty well. I only stopped using the Benelli because I sold it to fund other acquisitions.

With the Saiga I definitely stood out and annoyed people for no particular good reason other than they are grumpy old farts. I did stop using the Saiga, mainly because it's difficult to single-load, which is a requirement at the range I use. Also, I used a 30mm red dot which was too high for a cheek weld and I definitely wasn't going to ever do really well with that setup.

Now I use a cheap overunder and I can fit in with the grumpy old farts. Most importantly it is with this gun that I first hit 25/25, and I do much better than I did with the Saiga and a little better than with the Benelli. Typical for OU shotguns, mine has a sight rail that runs the whole length of the barrel. The front sight is a large white bead and I had a small brass bead installed in the middle of the sight rail. That mid-bead was an immediate and noticeable improvement for my scores. The only thing I don't like is that the recoil is really punishing; the semi-autos were both much softer to use.

One last thing, I recommend picking a specific ammo and sticking with it. When shooting a moving target, leading the target is critical. Stupid as I am, it took me a long to realize that there is a wide variety of velocity among 12 gauge ammo. Although it's something I always knew, I didn't really think about its importance. The velocity has a huge impact on how much you need to lead. Obviously with faster rounds you lead less, and slower rounds you lead more.

• Like 1

I don't shoot trap competively so if that is your goal, ignore me. I shoot trap because I like busting targets and I want to get more time with my hunting shotguns. For me, trap is practice for hunting - so I shoot with my hunting guns - these include semi autos, side by sides , and outside hammer damascus guns. Use what you like and have fun, but don't feel like you need a dedicated trap gun just to enjoy trap. smile.png

^^^^my thoughts as well , also the 19" s12 with a choke is a fine bird / trap gun . i shoot trap / birds with my eotech 512 , makes it to easy , almost like a video game , actually went 49 out of 50 on memorial day ,
  • Like 1

I shot trap with my Saiga last week. First if you have a 19 inch barrel - forget it.

Seriously? Never had a problem hitting clays with either my 18" S12 or my 8" SBS. Sure, the patterns not as tight on the 8" gun but theres no reason you can't shoot skeet with it. A 24" gun may be better for it, but is in no way required.

ETA: No chokes either.

Edited by DistalRadius

I shot trap with my Saiga last week. First if you can't hit shit with a shotgun - forget it.

i had to fix that for you

the loss of velocity between 24" and 19" is minimal and you won't notice it, if you already can't hit shit 5" of barrel isn't going to make a difference

Edited by Russian Hammer
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

i had to fix that for you

the loss of velocity between 24" and 19" is minimal and you won't notice it, if you already can't hit shit 5" of barrel isn't going to make a difference

Your so called fix is not appreciated and uses language I don't want to be associated with. You may not know it, but velocity has little to do with accuracy.

Edited by Groovy Mike

i got a polly choke on my saiga and at the time i went to shoot clays i had no sights at all on my gun. if you look at the thread "need new iron sights" you will see the rear ring i bought. havent used it for clays yet but it gets on the target fast and nice.

and i was told you dont use sights for trap/clays too

and the saiga for clays 35 yards and less is cake to shoot clays imo. and fun too

I don't often agree with what you say, but once in awhile you're right.

Just a simple front bead is ideal for clays, you are just pointing and shootin as quickly as you can. Lining sights up could just be a distraction, especially if you're using the pistol rear sight that comes on the gun. It makes your sight picture busy and blocks the area to the left and right of the bead that you could loose the bird in. It could be done, it would just take practice.

But if you want regular sights that you could use at a skeet range for fun or just practice aquiring targets, I'd really recoment a Krebs set up. I just put a rear peep sight and took the insert out, and added a Dinzag front sight. The rear ring can be learned to be ignored when shooting instinctively and then all you have to worry about is the stake out front. It's a pretty flexible set up, and I'm very happy with it

Just a simple front bead is ideal for clays, you are just pointing and shootin as quickly as you can. Lining sights up could just be a distraction, especially if you're using the pistol rear sight that comes on the gun. It makes your sight picture busy and blocks the area to the left and right of the bead that you could loose the bird in. It could be done, it would just take practice.

But if you want regular sights that you could use at a skeet range for fun or just practice aquiring targets, I'd really recoment a Krebs set up. I just put a rear peep sight and took the insert out, and added a Dinzag front sight. The rear ring can be learned to be ignored when shooting instinctively and then all you have to worry about is the stake out front. It's a pretty flexible set up, and I'm very happy with it

This sounds like a solid setup. When I shoot I completely ignore the rear sight. I have been thinking about removing it ever since I bought my gun.

But if you want regular sights that you could use at a skeet range for fun or just practice aquiring targets, I'd really recoment a Krebs set up. I just put a rear peep sight and took the insert out, and added a Dinzag front sight.

What rear peep sight did you go with and where did you get it and how much was it?

• 2 weeks later...