48 members have voted

1. 1. Should I stick with the Mako or go back to the K-Var?

• Mako
    • K-Var

Hey Gang,

New to the forum and just completed my first Saiga conversion (7.62). I like what I have on it but not sure if I like the Mako stock or if I should put the K-Var I originally bought back on. Let me know your opinions on this or any other items/What would you do differently?Thanks again for all the great information.

Finished with...

-Duracoat tactical black

-Arsenal USA AK-74 style Compensator

-Mako stock

-Hogue grip and hand guards

-XS tritium night sights

-JTE Performance Power Hammer Spring

-Shepherds hook

-Tromex Tapco G2 trigger group

-Tromex oversized bolt handle knob

-Shepherds hook

-Tromex oversized bolt handle knob

- Krebs Custom AK selector lever

I just picked up some Promags and Tapco magazines because I can't seem to find any US Palms in stock anywhere?

post-42292-0-40307000-1339009966_thumb.jpg

post-42292-0-75736900-1339010178_thumb.jpg

Edited by Potus2000
  • Like 1

I have a US Palm that I got from a former member, it's an excellent magazine. But I haven't actually looked for them online. Have you checked gunbroker?? I haven't been to their website in a while either.

At any rate, great conversion!

Well, it works great. If you can find the thread on it (a review thread) from a while back, you'll find a wealth of knowledge. The only thing I dislike, it the inability to move the floor "block" for cleaning, but after a few minutes in the shower, it cleans out well.

• 1 month later...

I have two of the Makos, on a 5.45 and a 7.62 so my vote is for them. They are folding and have a cheek rise if you ever need it. Those stocks are reversible if you mount anything on your side rail. If looks is your only concern, the kvar looks better in my opinion.

Edited by Redman92
  • Like 1

I have two of the Makos, on a 5.45 and a 7.62 so my vote is for them. They are folding and have a cheek rise if you ever need it. Those stocks are reversible if you mount anything on your side rail. If looks is your only concern, the kvar looks better in my opinion.

Finally got to get it out and shoot it this weekend. I liked the way the Mako feels.

The answer is do another one so you have both.

Right on Mr. BlahX3!
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'd go mako. Side-folding might be very useful when shit hits the fan and that day is probably coming soon. The shit has been taken... the fan is plugged in...

I like the bolt handle. And how's the selector working for you as compared to stock I mean. That's probably my next move and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I like muzzle brakes that have a gut/door busting edge so I went with the razr brake. It supresses the hell out of the flash and its intimidating as hell. Plus it again might help when shtf.

Otherwise i'd say looks great! Definately like the duracoat uniform flat black look.

And about the hogue furnature. I like the grip and the look but I battle-test my firearms and sell them/modify them if they don't pass and on my remington 870 12g I sold the hogues because they feel "sticky" and or "slick" in too many environments/weather conditions. But that was a different product. May differ for you.

In even weather and kept perfectly dry it was the best feeling grip I had. But as soon as something changed as far as weather it seemed less than optimal. So I just got the blackhawk setup for my 870 and went with a mako grip on my Saiga 7.62.

Its shaped well enough ergonomically that wet or dry slick or slippery glogeved or bare handed it my grip is solid.

*note* even wet the grip seems to hold its own better than most. Stay away from the saw grip as it failed most all of my tests.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...