accident / negligent discharge / or stupidity?

Yes Mr. Axe it is the design of the guns fault, I mean what were they thinking making it so if you pull the trigger it fires??

That guy fucked up by not paying attention and probably worried about doing his tactical unholster shoot and reholster as fast and as cool looking as he could make it

and had his finger in the triggerguard. Glocks are great as well as many others, but shit happens.

Heres a dumbass who did the same thing but he was unholstering and he was going for speed and he pulled the trigger. He had a 1911. Bad design????

I think people get too comfortable and forget the basics. Finger off the trigger unless you're shooting.

I also had an accidential discharge once and shot myself in the leg..20 years ago a prom. Never even got it out of the holster...damn thing just went off.

• Like 1

john browning was a genius. i have owned 1911's in the past. carried one in the military police and civilian security work. it is of course antiquated technology. however, browning's design is possibly better and safer than a glock. naturally training is always a factor.

glock + stupidity

• Like 1

john browning was a genius. i have owned 1911's in the past. carried one in the military police and civilian security work. it is of course antiquated technology. however, browning's design is possibly better and safer than a glock. naturally training is always a factor.

glock + stupidity

[media=]

[/media]

Im sorry but he did the same thing as the other guys, pulled the trigger, doesnt matter if it was with a glock or 1911 or whatever. I love 1911s too, but I carry and trust my Glocks more oh well good thing we can choose eh.

All I got from from you was,boo hoo blah blah blah Glocks are bad and they suck, in fact I think that was your intention with this whole thread. Your first question was

does it being a Glock have anything to do with it? Are you telling me you couldnt figure it out,that he accidently pulled the trigger, and were wondering if was because it might be a Glock? You were in the military? And security? And you never fired a stryker fired pistol or know how they work?

I know how to handle lots of hadguns and how they work and operate, Sigs, Hks, Glock, 1911s to name some.

I would think "negligent discharge" Should have had control of the firearm.

"stupidity" would be if he did not understand what would happen when pulling the trigger.

"accidident" is probably what happened after shooting himself.....

post-11862-0-74470100-1339029087.jpg

Edited by read_the_wall
  • Like 6

This ends up being one of those circular arguments with different people in different camps.

It's certainly not that Glocks (or the 1911) suck. Single action guns have short pull, sensitive triggers, that's how they are designed.

Personally, I do not like single action only guns whether they have a safety or not (not looking for argument, just my preference). My preference is a DA/SA gun even with the bad DA first trigger pull (chambered, no safety engaged).

No matter what type of gun you have, it's your responsibility to operate it safely, single action, hair-trigger or not.

• Like 2

Happens more than you think with trained personel. You would think ahh what a fucking idiot until you see it happen. I think its cockiness and disrespect for your weapon. Call it stupidity or whatever there is still a human involved.

The only one who knows has a hole in his leg. I picked up a Gen 4 Glock 34 within the last 24hrs and without taking it to the range, to me it has a decent amount of take up in the trigger. You just have no way of knowing if this guys gun had trigger work performed or it snagged something on the way in. I will say that being a Glock, I'll have to take the mind set of keeping my index finger away from the trigger to a new level. What ever happened, he'll be playing it through his mind over and over-learn from the mistakes of others and be mindful of your equipment.

Edited by 6500rpm
  • Like 1

Hmm whats that saying, slow is smooth, smooth is fast? Blaming it on any gun would mean that shooting someone would be legal. The individual made a mistake and paid for it. Just be happy it was him and not someone just standing there..............

• Like 1

It all comes back to piss poor/improper training. You ALWAYS keep your finger outside the trigger guard until the muzzle is pointed towards the free fire/target area. We are only talking hundreds of a second to manipulate the trigger when done properly. Draw, re-holster, movement while not engaging targets and magazine changes, same difference; Finger outside the trigger guard.

Two law enforcement officers have shot themselves in the leg, in the last 3 years, at the local PD Range. One during a Re-Holster and the other during a speed draw. Both obviously had their finger on the trigger. One of them was the Primary Fire Arms Instructor for the Leesville PD!!!

I was under the impression that the safety was in the trigger on a glock.(dont own one) Could be that it is a design such as this that leads to complacentsey which contributes to these type incidents with glocks. Which seams common.

Edited by tatonic

I also had an accidential discharge once and shot myself in the leg..20 years ago a prom. Never even got it out of the holster...damn thing just went off.

Could have been worse. My last accidental discharge resulted in my second son. Much more expensive than a bullet wound.

Edited by TacticoolTim
  • Like 7

We had a Special Forces troop pop himself in the leg reholstering a Beretta M-9 here a few weeks ago. He wasn't following the manual of arms which requires the pistol to be decocked before holstering so it was in SA instead of DA. Being too much in a hurry can hurt. Try to remember, Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast. When you rush, you are actually slower and fumble/stumble while running the weapon. Doc Holiday said, "Take your time in a hurry" to describe how to win a gunfight.

• Like 2

It clearly says "he pulled the trigger and shot himself". Any gun will do that. Sounds like he just got too complacent with handling firearms for so long.

Glock's safety design works fine, if you do your part and aren't careless and/or stupid. It's not going to go off unless you pull the trigger, and you shouldn't pull the trigger unless you want to shoot. Simple.

EDIT:...................and honest "accidental" discharges are very, very, very rare with any gun. It's almost always negligence that causes it.

Edited by -Shooter-
  • Like 1

His shirt was probably loose and hanging out on that side. When he went to holster it, part of the shirt got inside of the trigger guard and when he seated the gun in the holster, the shirt pulled tight, firing the gun. It happens all the time. Just ask the guys at GunSite. They continuously run around telling their students to tuck in their shirts, and retuck them all day long. They have had several students shoot themselves that way.

Typically, that would not happen with guns equipped with manual safeties or decockers, since you would/should engage the safety or decock it before the gun is holstered. It could still happen on a decocked double action gun, but it's quite a bit less likely than with a Glock style trigger.

• Like 4

glock + stupidity

[media=]

[/media]

The dumbass-discharge was what I had in mind when I read about the instructor shooting himself.

Don't know about the instructor, but that DEA agent who was teaching a class was definitely fucking stupid.

"I'm the only one qualified enough.."

Edited by Agent Lemon

For everyone that shoots themselves with a Glock, there are tens of thousands...if not more...who don't. I doubt the percentage of people who shoot themselves with a Glock is any higher than with any other pistol. You just hear about it more because there are so many out there.
  • Like 2

For everyone that shoots themselves with a Glock, there are tens of thousands...if not more...who don't. I doubt the percentage of people who shoot themselves with a Glock is any higher than with any other pistol. You just hear about it more because there are so many out there.

I am certainly not going to disagree, however, in some instances the glock style trigger is an issue. I do quite a bit of hand gun hog hunting, on the ground, in thick brush. There are many times when hogs are very close and the pistol (44 Automag) is drawn but not cocked, or cocked and locked, as I maneuver through the brush a short ways in order to get a clear shot. It would be very easy for a branch to enter the trigger guard and fire a Glock type trigger. You would really need to be careful or not draw the gun. I don't know about you, but when hogs are in thick cover, just feet away, I would want my gun drawn.....how 'bout you?

• Like 3

I am certainly not going to disagree, however, in some instances the glock style trigger is an issue. I do quite a bit of hand gun hog hunting, on the ground, in thick brush. There are many times when hogs are very close and the pistol (44 Automag) is drawn but not cocked, or cocked and locked, as I maneuver through the brush a short ways in order to get a clear shot. It would be very easy for a branch to enter the trigger guard and fire a Glock type trigger. You would really need to be careful or not draw the gun. I don't know about you, but when hogs are in thick cover, just feet away, I would want my gun drawn.....how 'bout you?

I think it would still be pretty unlikely to happen. If your trigger finger is indexed along the side, covering one side of the trigger guard, a branch wouldn't be able to make it through. If it did, you'd still need to keep pushing on the branch enough to activate the trigger. The branch would have to have a good amount of resistance and you'd need to press against that resistance.

I just don't see it happening unless you just have a chain of unfortunate mistakes or are bulldozing through the brush, which I assume would be hard to do in thick brush. Then again, I have zero experience with hunting hogs in thick brush with a handgun.

Hello

If there's a "silver lining" to the "Tex" Grebner auto-shooting, it would be that he was facing off with a piece of paper rather than an actual armed threat. Kind of underscores the value of real-world training.

If you're gonna fuck up, do it at the range.

-guido in Houston

"God Loves Liberty"

• Like 1

Well, pretty-much everyone has covered all the viewpoints; there's nothing I can add.

The following thought crossed my mind as I was reading through the replies to this thread: Rock climbers and that ole' saying, "There are those that have fallen, and those that have yet to fall." (I'd say that applies equally to motorcyclists laugh.png .) So. . . perhaps if an individual is around firearms long enough; they are involved either at the instructor level, or simply due to their profession have a firearm with them throughout most of their day, almost every day (i.e., military, LEO, etc.) . . . statistically, sooner or later they are likely to experience a negligent discharge.

Interesting premise, no? happy.png

Obviously, all the more reason to never become complacent whenever around or handling a firearm (like, "duh" right?)

• Like 2