Well, I done got me another project! I traded my 1986 Toyota 2wd pickup for a 1973 VW bus to keep my '74 Beetle company. She is a project for sure, but an original Montana vehicle which means.............NO RUST!!!! Wheeee-Haw!

Of course it is a bit banged up, but I can get new metal for the damaged corner. I drove it home, but it is a good canidate for a Subaru motor swap.

This one has some very Gun-friendly modifications in it's future!!

It was bound for the crusher, so I had to do it.

post-16191-0-89154100-1339051053.jpg

post-16191-0-25040300-1339051092.jpg

post-16191-0-40175700-1339051148_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

No, not my camo 4runner. I also had a 2wd pickup....my 4th vehicle.

I am thinking "False walls" for hidden rifle racks. Making custom wider interior panels to have some sort of Gun rack that is behind panels so I can maybe stop by places after the range and not be wooried about visible rifles in my rig.

• Like 2

I used to run with a man that took that power plant(motor and trany) and put it in a bug.

His had the geard axle, He did a few mods the the engine, He could dump the clutch and stand the bug on its rear bumper.

Have fun!!!

No, not my camo 4runner. I also had a 2wd pickup....my 4th vehicle.

I am thinking "False walls" for hidden rifle racks. Making custom wider interior panels to have some sort of Gun rack that is behind panels so I can maybe stop by places after the range and not be wooried about visible rifles in my rig.

This is interesting. I had a similar idea about putting a "false bottom" in the bed of my truck. I was even scoping out 30"-48" 500lb rated drawer slides yesterday. The drawer wouldn't have to be but 4"-5" tall. This way the only way the drawer could be accessed is when the tailgate is down giving new meaning to the country boy phrase "when the tailgate drops, the bullshit stops". It would be a lot easier to put a secure lock on the tailgate than any other door or compartment on the vehicle. Best of all it would be hidden and usually a hidden or unknown space is a more secure space.

I have zero welding-fabricating skills so it would be pricey and it would only make sense if you were going to keep the truck a while. And if you didn't run with a bed cover of some sort care would have to be taken to keep water out of it when it rains.

This is interesting. I had a similar idea about putting a "false bottom" in the bed of my truck. I was even scoping out 30"-48" 500lb rated drawer slides yesterday. The drawer wouldn't have to be but 4"-5" tall. This way the only way the drawer could be accessed is when the tailgate is down giving new meaning to the country boy phrase "when the tailgate drops, the bullshit stops". It would be a lot easier to put a secure lock on the tailgate than any other door or compartment on the vehicle. Best of all it would be hidden and usually a hidden or unknown space is a more secure space.

I have zero welding-fabricating skills so it would be pricey and it would only make sense if you were going to keep the truck a while. And if you didn't run with a bed cover of some sort care would have to be taken to keep water out of it when it rains.

Here ya go, be quick before the link getts gone

http://www.weatherguard.com/truck_tool_boxes/view_products.php?subcat_id=18

we had one when I Was a kid.. my dad hung curtains in it... worked like a charm... used dacron line strung up from the little hangy knobs above the wndows... no one could see in from any point if the curtains were drawn... and it looked NICE too!!! :up:

:smoke:

Nice VW. Don't let the Montana thing fool you. They put more mag chlor. on the roads than any other state I have been in. They spray the liquid all over major roads where most states only apply it at intersections. The gravel has been mixed with mag chlor and salt for over ten years now. It may have been true in the past but anything driven on the roads here in the last ten years has just as many oxidizers applied to it as a car in the midwest rust belt.

I live here and avoid modern cars that have no service for them within miles. Not a good place to buy a mercedes. OK on the VW thing. Lots of dealers here.

Have fun with your new project!

• Like 1

Seems like this van has been off the roads for a while. There is still mostly factory paint covering inside wheelwells and on the frame(see pics). I feel lucky to have such a solid rig to start with

Maybe some gunports, since I have no sunroof, Or a flip open hatch on top?

post-16191-0-69062400-1339186147_thumb.jpg

post-16191-0-44718700-1339186180_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I love that turret! Oh and no shot out windows, although the windshield is smashed on the right front.

Naturally, if it had any bullet holes in it, I would leave them there.

Yesterday I scraped out all of the old carpet/padding. Now it smells noticably better inside!!!

I am bummed that there is NO key for it. Jerry-rigged ignition (read:screwdriver) and no way to unlock doors from the outside, should they become locked....I can see my dog locking herself in there by being all Dog-like and messing around in there.

Nice.

Wish I'd known you had that truck. Got an '81 Toy truck myself. It belonged to the wife's late aunt, and she owned it from the day it hit the lot. 22R/2bbl motor has 105K original on it, 5 speed, but the body's eat up with cancer(as in Fred Flintstone floorpans). I soooo want to find a 4-runner and do it up like yours.

I was supposed to be selling my 2wd toyota to Downsize my automoble family, but when I saw this for trade......well it's like a girl and shoes.......or any of us and guns.......

......so much for downsizing.

Lots of ideas floating around in my Noggin for this one. Like also having a turret mount like a Side gunner on a WW2 bomber, so with the sliding door open, I could shoot down enemy cans of shaken up soda-pop!!

This will NOT be a Hippie-van.