s12 converted trigger guard removal question

I am attempting to remove the already converted trigger guard and replacing it with a Tromix DIY trigger guard, but am unsure of the proper way to remove the current TG. I cant locate any videos or pics on this topic, only on the initial conversion, which in my case is already done. Does anybody have info on how to do this properly? thanks.

Those are rivets and its gonna require grinding or drilling to remove it.

FYI, a riveted on trigger guard is usually a little more desireable then a bolt/screw on guard.

Yours looks like the factory "sporter" trigger guard thats just been re-used and riveted in place.

Your receiver is also cut for a traditional pistol grip nut, which is also a bit more desireable then the DIY integrated pistol grip mount found on the majority of DIY trigger guards.

Edited by Mullet Man

Well I was hoping this was a bit easier and less time consuming, but if thats what I gotta do I guess I have no choice.

Actually, it would be easier and safer to the finish on the gun to drill the rivets from the inside of the receiver. Just get a bit that is slightly too large to fit into the hole in the rivet. You're not trying to drill all the way through. Just get enough to let the rivet release it's grip and then pop the guard off.

• Like 1

I dremeled them off from the inside. It's done. I'm just not a fan of the SGM Tactical parts that were used for the conversion or the rounded trigger guards. Im all about the little details, so it's all getting changed. The trigger guard, stock, charging handle, handguard, and muzzle brake are gonna be Tromix parts, and the pistol grip is gonna be a SAW grip, and HK sights welded up top. It will look alot better with these pieces. I'm supposed to call Lonestar Arms next week as well as Mach1 Arsenal (which is where I purchased the gun from originally) to see who will tackle this for me at the best price. I was gonna do this all myself, but now I'm thinking I'd rather have it professionally done. Plus I'm having a couple parts painted OD and I don't have any supplies to do that.

That's great man! Everyone has their own ideas for their conversion, and there's nothing wrong with what you are doing. When I converted mine I wanted to retain the AK style look, so I ended up with this:

2012-06-06_12-18-45_94.jpg

Good luck with your project!

Edited by tunnelrat

I dremeled them off from the inside. It's done. I'm just not a fan of the SGM Tactical parts that were used for the conversion or the rounded trigger guards. Im all about the little details, so it's all getting changed. The trigger guard, stock, charging handle, handguard, and muzzle brake are gonna be Tromix parts, and the pistol grip is gonna be a SAW grip, and HK sights welded up top. It will look alot better with these pieces. I'm supposed to call Lonestar Arms next week as well as Mach1 Arsenal (which is where I purchased the gun from originally) to see who will tackle this for me at the best price. I was gonna do this all myself, but now I'm thinking I'd rather have it professionally done. Plus I'm having a couple parts painted OD and I don't have any supplies to do that.

Price shopping is not always wise shopping.... especially in the firearms industry.

• 1 month later...

Nah the way it was originally converted nothing lined up properly on the receiver bottom for the trigger guard when attempting to DIY. After getting it all disassembled I immediately knew it was too much for me to handle as there were holes that needed welded over and I couldn't do it properly since I'm not a welder. It wasn't done very well to begin with. If you saw it when dissasembled you would agree it needed a professional. Anyways, It's all done now and is done right and looks just how I wanted.