Bird shot for home defence video

This topic has been debated on this forum quite a bit with differing opinions. Here is a video of bird shot into MEAT. Draw your own conclusions.

[media=]

[/media]

Castalia

Edited by Castalia
  • Like 9
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This topic has been debated on this forum quite a bit with differing opinions. Here is a video of bird shot into MEAT. Draw your own conclusions.   [media=] [/media]  Castalia

I would bet my Saiga that that guy still ate that meat

people that thought that bird shot COULDN'T kill a human were idiots (especially at across-the-room distances), and shouldn't have been listened to in the first place. its clear that birdshot digs out

I think birdshot would be more of a death sentence than buckshot if the recipient actually lived long enough to go to the ER. Seems like it would be extremely hard to stop the bleeding with all of those small holes. If they were gutshot, they would likely get infection as well. I have always been an advocate of birdshot when the potential for injuring/killing unintended targets exists within the home.

The first time I shot a 5 gallon bucket with birshot.... I knew it was GTG for HD.

My 12 gauge isn't normally what I use inside the house but when I do I prefer #4 shot over 00. Looks like #6 birdshot would be plenty good enough. Gonna get a bit more spread out of a 19 barrel than the bird gun he used but like he said, at twenty feet it would be devastating.

• Like 1

I have a case of 2 ounce #4 turkey loads that I always figured would do the job if I was worried about over penetration. I'd bet those would have chewed a nasty hole clean through that bag of meat and bone.

• Like 1

Honestly I had my doubts...not any more. Nasty!

Same here, based on other demonstrations showing it's seeming lack of penetration. I guess I'll revise that opinion. I have some #4 loads myself, and 00 Buck, but it looks like just about any reliable, affordable ammo would be quite sufficient from a shotgun at "indoor" ranges. :)

I know him personaly and he probably can afford more meat then you and i put together. Hes a heck of a nice guy and as honest as they come. He and his brother boge are characters but i guess some would say the same about me.

I would bet my Saiga that that guy still ate that meat

For HD? Buckshot, dude. BUCK shot. Personally, I'm okay with 00, #1 or #4. I stock all three.

Birdshot is for birds...unless the buckshot runs out during the zombie apocalypse. In that situation, aim for the head...multiple times :)

• Like 1

I like to load my home defense mossberg pump with (in firing order) Bird, bird, buck, buck, slug. Though I it unlikely that any intruder is still going to be aggressive after a chest/gut/face load of birdshot at 20 feet...

Edited by pfbz

people that thought that bird shot COULDN'T kill a human were idiots (especially at across-the-room distances), and shouldn't have been listened to in the first place. its clear that birdshot digs out and tears up flesh. there is going to be a lot of blood loss with really no way to fix it.

the difference with buck is that it can penetrate. bird will dig out a 4" well, buck will drill 9 holes much deeper.

if a baddie is in your house and you shoot them in the face from 3 feet away with bird or buck, they aren't coming back.

that being said, I prefer the options that buck provides. against soft, clothed targets, at close distances both will work. increase the distance or durability (read: really heave clothes or armor) and bird won't work. Buck might, it might not. but I'd take a 10% chance of it working over 0%. keep a couple slugs in your pocket just in case.

and really with HD, you need to have layered security. if there is a bad guy in your room and you have to resort to blasting willy-nilly risking everyone around, you've already failed. HD should be such that you are never surprised. they can get in (maybe) but you'll already be up and ready for them because the previous few layers of security have already alerted you to their presence and location.

• Like 2

Nice video, but bear in mind that he is shooting a Remington Versamax Tactical with a 22" barrel...an excellent shotgun but not exactly my choice for HD. Shot pattern and penetration is a function of barrel length and choke. Also, I agree that your type of residence and/or proximity to neighbors should factor in when deciding which type of ammo to use. I live on a 1/4 acre lot in a subdivision...neighbors with kids close on both sides and across the street...can't take a chance with over penetration...#6 birdshot or the Federal law enforcement "low recoil" 00 buck is my choice for my particular living arrangement.

Edited by tunnelrat

I don't think I could stomach the ribs. I favor the meat experiment of the gel. I think 2's or 4 buckshot would be a happy medium. I lean to the 1 shot 1 kill way of thinking. I presently have low recoil 00 in a Mossy 500 181/2 barrel

Edited by Fox84

I can't think of anywhere on my body I could take a 4" x 4" hole and still feel frisky

Even with a vest on the bad guy aint getting up to fast.

I sell custom armor and can say from having tested a lot of vests that the BFD (back face deformation) from a close range 12 gauge hit is devastating, with buckshot and birdshot appearing the same until you get some range. Scarily sometimes s few birdshot pellets sneak through the kevlar, this never occurs with buckshot.

In other words the pellets won't penetrate but there will be a 3" dent in your chest and only 1.57" is considered acceptable BFD. It's hard to be a threat when your busted up ribs are poking into your tattered lungs.

Edited by preparehandbook
  • Like 2