Barrel threading help

I'm attempting to thread the barrel on my 762 saiga. I've looked at a couple of how to videos and everything but none of them talk about this. I can only get the threading die to remove aout 1/8 inch of material from the barrel. I can't get it to start cutting threads no matter how much pressure I put on the handles as I turn.

I've checked all the likely culprits...lettering on the die is facing the work, the tat is not in contact with the barrel at all, in fact I've probably got a 1/4 inch of clearance there. I'm using a light machine oil as cutting fluid, so maybe that's too thick or something?

Anybody have any ideas?

7.62 NATO or 7.62 x 39?

The NATO barrel is a bit thicker, you might have to thin it down a bit.

Sandpaper and time will help.

Do you know how thick your barrel is?

What thread pitch are you trying to use?

I did my S308(7.62 NATO) and it was tough to start but did and came out great.

post-37682-0-69064800-1339248937_thumb.jpg

Well, I'll be damned. That worked. I guess mine accidentally had the lettering etched on the wrong side.

Lettering side means nothing on dies. or any other tool. Different manufacturers use various marking techniques.

• Like 1

Another tip is to open the die up with the set screw, to the widest it will go and still fit in the die stock. Make your first cut like that, then make several more cuts closing the die up a little bit each time until your muzzle device with thread smoothly on. Also undercut the base of the threads with a round jewelers file or a dremel if you're brave. Look at the threads on a standard AK barrel for comparison, and you'll see what I'm talking about. This allows the muzzle brake to seat properly.