How many mags should one have??

Total mags or just load out mags? I have fifteen (15) 25 rd mags and two (2) four round mags. Load out total would by much less. Consider them throwaways (nonretreaveable) if the SHTF. HB of CJ (old coot)

You know the Finnish and Russians both issued floor plates with loops on them.

Sounds like I should make lanyard loop floor plates, looks to be a market.

I figure that 2 to 4 loaded 20mags is the range that most people would be comfortable packing out with, based on weight and bulk. So 2 to 4 20rd mags and a 5 or 8 for hunting.

But if some is good and more is better - then too much has gotta be just right!

edit to add: We need a drum for these. Even if that would empty the 401K buying ammo!

Edited by G O B

One should have at least $100 worth.

As with just about anything roughly consumable in the firearm market, "buy it cheap and stack it deep" seems to be my rule of thumb. I was sorting through my magazines when I noticed there was definitely a relationship between the number of magazines I have and the unit price of each type. Whereas I have bunches of steel AK mags and PMags, I have relatively few Uinta .308 and Circle-10 .223 mags. This wasn't a conscious effort, by the way. I've made very few "stock up" purchases, and I've instead acquired one or two here and there whenever an online order needed rounding out (shipping costs seem less obscene if the subtotal is higher!)

Edited by DrThunder88

Total mags or just load out mags? I have fifteen (15) 25 rd mags and two (2) four round mags. Load out total would by much less. Consider them throwaways (nonretreaveable) if the SHTF. HB of CJ (old coot)

You know the Finnish and Russians both issued floor plates with loops on them.

Sounds like I should make lanyard loop floor plates, looks to be a market.

2711_big-228x228.jpgThat is Finnish RK-62 mag. We used that loop to strap mag in the gun

How good are the cspec mags? They are stell mags right? I've been trying to get Uinta to corespond about ordering but I'm about to give up on him because he doesn't reply to any of my emails. What's the difference b/w Uninta and Cspec other than the price?

Thanks,

Joe

How good are the cspec mags?

As good as you will ever get for this rifle. You wont find a steel high quality mag for the 308 due to the limited numbers. Steel and x39 are common, this rifle comes with a poly, most manufacturers produce them in poly. AKs were made for steel, if you want quality go CSspecs, best you will find reasonably priced and in 10-20 round counts

• Like 1

What do you think is the average amount of mags one should have for their 308?

there is no such thing as "average amount", never was and never will be (this goes for any mags). the amount is whatever mags you want to have.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

What do you think is the average amount of mags one should have for their 308?

there is no such thing as "average amount", never was and never will be (this goes for any mags). the amount is whatever mags you want to have.

Bingo! We have a winner.