Tapco G2 trigger in my Vepr question?

I have a standard Tapco G2 trigger single hook, not a modified one from Dinzag or CSS. And I put it in my Vepr and there is a lot of hang up and drag with the bolt carrier and it some times wont close. Comparing the Tapco and factory hammers the ledge where the trigger hook sits on the left side of the hammer (scope rail side) the factory is thicker about 1/16-1/8 and the angle of the factory trigger hook is more square compared to the Tapco, which would hold the factory trigger closer to the bottom of the receiver and less drag on the bolt carrier. The Tapco has 2 edges on the front of the hammer that I will polish to see if that eliminates the hang ups but I don't like the fact that it has a lot of extra drag on the bolt carrier. I want to convert this gun and need these 922r parts. The pull is also much lighter and crisp. If I can get the hang ups eliminated what about the extra wear on the bolt carrier would that be a concern? Anyone else put a Tapco G2 in and have these problems?

Edited by draftpick

I dont have a Vepr, but I have a G2 thats been temporarily floating through some Saigas. I have no Idea about Veprs but I think that the same issues will happen as in a Saiga.

Sounds like typical tapco bullshit to me. The hammer on a tapco needs to be re-profiled due to its retarded round design. On a Saiga, you can use the factory hammer with the g2 trigger/disconnector, and all works well after that. Put the stock hammer back in the rifle with the G2 to see if it doesnt hang up after that. If it doesn't hang up with the stock hammer in place, and you really want to use the tapco hammer, then put the stock hammer and the g2 hammer side by side for comparison, and reprofile the tapcos hammer face to match the shape of the stock.

I have made a thread about this in the past showing pictures of how the hook on the tapco holds the hammer much higher than than the stock trigger on a Saiga. Everyone was like "HURR YOURE OVER THINKING THIS TAPCO IS GOOD TO GO". Then they proceed to tell everyone to reprofile the hammer, which the tapco desperately needs.

So yeah, if the VEPRs are like a Saiga, then this is somewhat easily fixed, depending on how much time you want to spend on that tapco.

Edited by Agent Lemon
  • Like 1

I dont have a Vepr, but I have a G2 thats been temporarily floating through some Saigas. I have no Idea about Veprs but I think that the same issues will happen as in a Saiga.

Sounds like typical tapco bullshit to me. The hammer on a tapco needs to be re-profiled due to its retarded round design. On a Saiga, you can use the factory hammer with the g2 trigger/disconnector, and all works well after that. Put the stock hammer back in the rifle with the G2 to see if it doesnt hang up after that. If it doesn't hang up with the stock hammer in place, and you really want to use the tapco hammer, then put the stock hammer and the g2 hammer side by side for comparison, and reprofile the tapcos hammer face to match the shape of the stock.

I have made a thread about this in the past showing pictures of how the hook on the tapco holds the hammer much higher than than the stock trigger on a Saiga. Everyone was like "HURR YOURE OVER THINKING THIS TAPCO IS GOOD TO GO". Then they proceed to tell everyone to reprofile the hammer, which the tapco desperately needs.

So yeah, if the VEPRs are like a Saiga, then this is somewhat easily fixed, depending on how much time you want to spend on that tapco.

I know what your talking about on the face of the hammer. And I'm not totally sure if that will solve all the issues in this case. I have read some of those threads about the G2 and the Saigas. But what I'm referring to is that the ledge of the hammer where the trigger hook sits and holds the hammer down the factory trigger is a 1/16-1/8 of an inch thicker than the tapco! So with the tapco hammer being thinner on the ledge it allows the tapco hammer to be higher and thus more contact on the bolt carrier. Now re-profiling the face may stop it from catching but I don't know that it will stop the excess bolt carrier contact. And I have a saiga hammer handy and the G2 hammer ledge is the same as the saiga, where the trigger hook sits. But the Vepr hammer is thicker in that area compared to the saiga and the tapco G2

Edited by draftpick

Update. I put the tapco trigger in with the factory vepr hammer and it wont work!!! The vepr hammer won't stay latched, with the vepr hammer ledge being thicker won't allow the tapco trigger to seat properly. I did get it to latch once and the slightest bump to the gun and it released. So no interchanging trigger parts when it comes to the vepr. I did polish to a mirror and took down the sharp angles on the tapco hammer and it won't hang up any more and it racks back better but it's still harder than it needs to be. May do some more polishing on the tapco hammer.

Did some more work on the tapco g2 today and took the main body area down a 1/16. Did a side by side with the tapco and factory and and the tapco was a little taller, took it down and now the action is much smoother and no hang ups. Took it to the range after I got finished and put 100 rounds through it with no problems. Ran smooth. Looks like I have the tapco problem solved. Also the tapco was nice and smooth I would say around 4 lbs. And I sent Atlantic an email, as that was where I bought my rifle, asking if the put tapco's in there conversions and if they were having the same issues and all they said was they had tapco triggers in the conversions and nothing else. So they were not much help.

Edited by draftpick