I'm wanting to buy a new Saiga rifle. Since I already have an AR15 in .223 and an SKS in 7.62x39, I'm asking for suggestions and ideas as to what others would do. I'm really not asking for the "buy both" type answers, just pros and cons of either. I'm putting this in the general discussion because is seems the best place......

Would you get a Saiga .223 to share caliber with the AR15 or would you go with a Saiga 7.62x39 to share caliber with the SKS? Reloading cost may be a little cheaper for the .223, but 7.62x39 is much more traditional for an AK.

7.62x39, for the same reasons I gave in that other, nearly identical thread started by zombiemilitia. wink.png

(cheaper ammo, cheaper mags, more fun than .223)

I know, Huh? He was a little later though. LOL

I have had each of the rifles you mention: A Colt AR in 5.56, a Saiga in .223, an SKS (M or D model) and a Saiga 7.62x39. I tend to shoot the Saiga 223 the most, but that's me. The 7.62x39 Saiga isn't completely done up the way I want it yet though (basic conversion only). The SKS was fun enough, but I just never shot it that much.

Which do you shoot more, the AR or the SKS? Do you have more ammo in one caliber than another? Finally, what are you wanting to do with the rifle? Hunt? Target practice? Home defense?

• Like 1

I would go with the .380. It's way better that the .45. You shoot someone in the arm with a .380 and they will fall...oh wait, wrong debate...go with the 7.62.

Edited by cooger

Which do you shoot more, the AR or the SKS? Do you have more ammo in one caliber than another? Finally, what are you wanting to do with the rifle? Hunt? Target practice? Home defense?

These are some good questions. I definitely shoot the AR more. Mostly because I reload a super accurate load for it, it's cheap to reload for, and it's a great varmint gun out to 300+ yards. I love shooting the SKS, but it's got an inherent problem..... finding the spent brass, and most cheap ammunition for it is steel cased. The saiga would be more of a range toy/ target rifle/ home defense/SHTF weapon. I know I already have the SKS for this, but to be completely honest, I'm not fond of the trigger and ergonomics of the SKS. Still, the SKS is a good weapon to have in the safe if the need arises, but I believe I would use a an AK before the SKS if the need arose. I doubt I would ever use it for hunting since I have rifles for hunting