Classic Arms NC Saiga Sporter 7.62 X 39 Model I.D.??

Got my Saiga from these folks no problem about 8 months ago. Needless to say, I love it!

My problem is one of not being able to identify which model this is ie: SGL21. The Russian Saiga manual that comes with it has pictures of about 8 different models.

This is the Izmash 'sporter' model I bought already converted with 922r compliance Tapco parts for $519.00 @Classic Arms in NC. Anybody else get one from there??

probably the iz132 that has just been converted, classic arms doesnt SGL series rifles that Ive ever known of.

The IZ132s are imported in sporter configuration, then some companies convert them to what you are talking about. The SGL series rifles are done by Arsenal usa.

Edited by Chevyman097

probably the iz132 that has just been converted, classic arms doesnt SGL series rifles that Ive ever known of.

The IZ132s are imported in sporter configuration, then some companies convert them to what you are talking about. The SGL series rifles are done by Arsenal usa.

I second. An IZ 132 that classic had converted. Not an SGL only Arsenal does those and they are $8-900.

I bought a Saiga from Classic a couple of months ago, the 16" barrel, paid $319 for it, it's the military version with the dimples and no step in the chamber, but other than that it was just the sporter version, I had to do the conversion myself.

If you look in the white "certificate" book, on page 5 there should be a notation as to what version it is, mine says "03".

Then you look on page 4 of the green "Service manual" and find the version that you have at the bottom of the pages, then look to see what letter the drawing is for that version. Mine, being an 03, was drawing letter (d).

Edited by mogunner

I bought a Saiga from Classic a couple of months ago, the 16" barrel, paid $319 for it, it's the military version with the dimples and no step in the chamber, but other than that it was just the sporter version, I had to do the conversion myself.

If you look in the white "certificate" book, on page 5 there should be a notation as to what version it is, mine says "03".

Then you look on page 4 of the green "Service manual" and find the version that you have at the bottom of the pages, then look to see what letter the drawing is for that version. Mine, being an 03, was drawing letter (d).

Thanks for that! Reading is essentialhaha.gif Mine is a version '03' as well. What was your 'Extreme spread of impacts (4 bullets) @ 100 metres'??? Mine says 138mm.

I bought the converted IZ132 saiga 7.62 from the Classic Arm pass thanksgiving. It is not an Arsenal SGL but their local shop converted sagia. 900rds mix of silver bear and M67 so far, it functions well. no complaint.

Edited by AE86FL

Thanks for that! Reading is essentialhaha.gif Mine is a version '03' as well. What was your 'Extreme spread of impacts (4 bullets) @ 100 metres'??? Mine says 138mm.

Says 137mm. 5.39 inches...not sure if they fire it in a gun vise, if they do it must not be tightened down as both me and my buddy were getting two inch three shot groups at 50 yards and three inch at 100! No vise, but shooting off his bench and a Caldwell rest.

Classic has taken some pretty good hits across some of the other forums, and I've only ordered twice from them and had stellar service. First one was a Mosin 91/30 bought with my brand new C&R FFL, had it in my hands three days after ordering it by phone. The Saiga I bought using their online checkout, it's a bit wrong as it says (or said, might be changed) that I would get a notification when it shipped and I didn't. Called after three days and asked, they said it was shipped that same day, so called my FFL and he said yep, it's here. The Mosin was actually in better condition than they had it described.

It seems Classic can be hit or miss. I've heard of them giving people the run around and not having the firearms they claim and slow about giving refunds. I called them to order 3 saigas 7.62x39 in 20" barrels. I was told they were out, was not expecting any soon, and were not taking backorders. The next week I called and spoke with a different person and they said yes they had plenty, I asked was this a new shipment and was told no we have had these. They were promtly shipped out the next day. Guess it depends on who answers the phone.

Thanks Folks!! All yer inputs are always appreciated ... both useful and entertaining. So now that I know my new Saiga is a IZ132, let the fun begin. Since I acquired this baby, it now completes my 'Russian' collection .. a Mosin, an SKS and this Saiga.

I marvel at the thought of the Russians never having started a war yet, they have all these simplistic, hand-held 'weapons of mass destruction'.

What rattles me the most is my 91/30 ... reading about the destruction of the Romanov dynasty, a couple of these Mosins (along with various other 'cannons') were used in the obliteration at very close range.

Edited by bluezguy

I'm just missing the SKS out of those three, been spending a lot of time on the Mosin's. First few times I shot my 91/30 I had the thought cross my mind that these were for shooting enemy soldiers with these portable cannons, it's really hard to imagine someone getting shot by one. Where I shoot, it's heavily forested, and I've walked down to the 100 yard target board and seen where the bullets exited the back side of an 8" oak tree.

I bought a couple kit builds from them about 4 years ago... absolutely horrid! Instead of taking the refund minus their restocking fee, I sold them on the interwebs and got my money back.

Honest to God, they were pretty bad. Barrels all galled up and whatnot.