This may have been beat to death but, I'm curious how the Hi Point carbine shoots?

My father had a Hi Point pistol that I thought was garbage but he loved the ugly thing. He used it for target practice more than the other pistols he had (S&W revolvers, Ruger, Taurus, and Beretta pistols). I guess he didn't want to put miles on the nicer stuff.

I know there is a lot of bad feedback about Hi Point, but is there ANY good feedback???

I have a 995TS carbine that I have more rounds through than any other gun that I own. If you can tolerate the lack of hi-cap magazines it's a fine, dependable, and cheap weapon. You have to respect the pistol caliber carbines's limitations. It's NOT a target rifle and it's NOT a long range rifle. It is a dependable, 3-4ish MOA, pistol caliber carbine, that everyone seems to want to shoot when they see it. HP's warranty and customer service is second to none.

P1020425.jpg

UpdatedPics02.jpg

Edited by Yeoldetool
  • Like 2

I think of my hipoint carbine as an american AK... or what an american AK would be if there was NEVER a russian one to compare it to... It isnt pretty... It is simple, cheap, and RUGGED. I have never had any jams, or FTE, or FTF... it WORKS, and works every time. :up: I like mine a LOT! As stated above... its not a long range weapon, nor a target weapon... but for plinking fun, and general all around shooting... its a BLAST!!!

:smoke:

Well, I bought my first Hi Point about 6 years ago because I had a psycho soon-to-be ex-wife that had an alcoholic new boyfriend that lived just a little too close and liked to make threats, and I had sold all my firearms soon after the wife had developed her new hobby of living on gin, so had nada in the house for protection other than a stick and a pellet rifle. Bought one of the .40 JCP handguns, probably shot 1k rounds through it over the years. The magazine that came with it functioned perfect, the other ones I bought didn't, the ears on them were all sorts of wrong, so I set them to the same widths as the original and they all ran perfect, the Hi Point Firearms forum uses those specs on their website, since 90% of all problems with these bricks can be traced to the magazines.

It was accurate as heck, probably due to the fixed barrel, and shot everything I fed it, went bang everytime. I picked up one of the 9mm pistols, a C9 with the compensator on it, used and barely functioning. Figured out what parts I wanted, called Hi Point's customer service line, gave them the serial number and three days later I had the parts in the mail, totally free of charge. They carry a lifetime warranty whether you are the first owner or the 100th. The 9mm had problems with the ten round magazines until I did a fluff-n-buff on them, then they worked as well as the 8 round ones did. Went bang every time, ate any ammo I threw in it.

Sold them after they'd been sitting in the safe for a year without being shot after I'd managed to move on up to a concealed carry permit and they don't work well for that due to size and not having a striker block safety, so I wouldn't carry one with a round chambered.

There's actually LOTS of good reviews on them, several gun mags have done reviews on them, and there's a very widely watched youtube video of two guys doing ANYTHING that they could think of to try and blow the thing up, including grinding it into mudholes, running over it, jamming stuff in the barrel, etc. Even they had to admit that ugly as it was, it was one hell of a truck or toolbox gun. If someone steals it, you're out $160 bucks, not $800 or more.

• Like 1

I love mine! I intentionally tested its durability by NOT cleaning it until I had put 2000 rounds through it. It worked like a charm! No jams or failures of any kind. I can hit a paper plate target @ 100 yards every time, so that is good enough for a plinker, IMO.

Paid maybe $239 with a red dot on it, many years ago. I have only had 1 box of Blazer ammo that seemed like the primers were too deep in there, and it just couldn't get the firing pin to hit it enough. None of those 50 bullets worked in it.

That was my ONLY negative experience with it and I blame the ammo.

• Like 1

I keep mine next to my bed. It's not for home defense, though. I just look at it when I need to slow myself down during sex.

Well, technically that could be considered self defense, ya know.

• Like 1

anyone shoot steel case ammo in their 9mm carbine?

It was steel cased Blazer ammo that gave me trouble, but the casings had nothing to do with my issue.

I stick to buying bulk brass cased ammo @ gun shows.

Oh, BTW. I don't have my 9mm carbine yet but have researched them thoroughly and tend to agree completely with Yeoldetool and Indy. Regardless of my frivolity on the forum, I do take my weapons dead seriously. I simply won't own a firearm that I can't trust my family's life with. Otherwise it's worse than useless. While it will have to prove it's up to the task (as every one of them do) I'm inclined to believe it will be.

I'll freely admit that I was on the anti Hi-Point bandwagon at one time but belatedly realized that was ridiculous without giving them a fair shot. The way I see it, Hi-Point is doing the consumer a big favor by offering US made, cheap, reliable weapons without any pretensions. They certainly aren't the best for looks or fit and finish but they damn sure don't charge exorbitant prices either. Sometimes I wonder if part of the ridicule may come from other manufacturers wanting to suppress competition in order to keep their own prices inflated. Who knows?

When I do get mine I'll post honest evaluations and impressions of it's performance. I'm not here to peddle anything but am more than happy to supply hopefully useful information to anyone considering this firearm. I'm looking forward to pulling the trigger. smile.png

Tim

• Like 1

There are alot more fans on here than I thought there would be.

Like I was saying, my father loved his Hi Point so much he used it more than his S&W revolver. He got the pistol for less than a $100 so I could see his point of using it more than the nice guns he had. He knew he was gonna beat it up. That seems to be the consensus with everyone on here too.

Thanks for the feedback.

I would say that it works always, and the stock sights are great. However, the rear sight is mounted to the dust cover, so thorough cleaning may affect zero. It is not intended to be fully stripped for normal cleanings, which mitigates that issue.

Id never own one but guys that do sure have a lot of fun plinking. Not bad accuracy either.

May I ask why you wouldn't own one? I know you like Kel-Tecs and a lot of people disparage them for basically the same reasons. Just curious.

There's two reasons I'm not a BIG supporter of their firearms. One, the firing pin is also used as the ejector, so it's exposed while during the extraction/ejection process. You will end up with bent firing pins over time, if it double feeds the pin usually takes a pretty good bump. That being said, you can call UP up and they will send you one to keep as a replacement (just tell them your's is bent), and just watch your expended cases, you'll see the primer strikes start walking off to the side and can take care of it before it's a major problem. Two, the safety on these is a sear block, not a striker block. When a round is chambered, the striker/firing pin is under full spring tension. The sear isn't a real hefty chunk of metal on these. If the tip of the sear or the rear lip of the firing pin fails, or anything is worn enough to let the slide move up high enough to release the sear, the safety won't do a damn thing to keep it from discharging.

They're a blast to shoot and damned accurate, but more of a range gun than an HD or SD gun unless you don't chamber a round.

• Like 3

There's two reasons I'm not a BIG supporter of their firearms. One, the firing pin is also used as the ejector, so it's exposed while during the extraction/ejection process. You will end up with bent firing pins over time, if it double feeds the pin usually takes a pretty good bump. That being said, you can call UP up and they will send you one to keep as a replacement (just tell them your's is bent), and just watch your expended cases, you'll see the primer strikes start walking off to the side and can take care of it before it's a major problem. Two, the safety on these is a sear block, not a striker block. When a round is chambered, the striker/firing pin is under full spring tension. The sear isn't a real hefty chunk of metal on these. If the tip of the sear or the rear lip of the firing pin fails, or anything is worn enough to let the slide move up high enough to release the sear, the safety won't do a damn thing to keep it from discharging.

They're a blast to shoot and damned accurate, but more of a range gun than an HD or SD gun unless you don't chamber a round.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it won't be a problem for me though because I don't leave a round chambered and never use the safety in my HD guns. "Rack and roll" is my motto. Besides that, it's primary function will indeed be as a range gun. I'll only use it for HD if the Ruger and Saiga 223 happen to be down at the same time. That's pretty unlikely.

Edited by TacticoolTim

Then you'll more than likely love the hell out of it. If you have any feed problems just tweak the mag ears, double feed or nose up, bring them in, nose into the feed ramp loosen them up a little, I have the specs on the .40 mags, .45 shouldn't be a whole lot different, the mags are the same except they put a plastic spacer in the front of the 40 ones.

• Like 1

I run Tula 9mm steel case through the carbine all the time, runs fine. On another note, first thing you should do if you purchase a carbine is to unscrew the charging handle and put some blue Locktite on the threads, they have a tendency to work loose.

• Like 2

I run Tula 9mm steel case through the carbine all the time, runs fine. On another note, first thing you should do if you purchase a carbine is to unscrew the charging handle and put some blue Locktite on the threads, they have a tendency to work loose.

Good advice. I've heard of this happening on occasion. Easy preventative measure too.

I'll have to admit, when they changed the design on the carbine, I was sorely tempted to purchase one, but held back because of the lack of larger capacity mags, and the strange unavailability of aftermarket offerings. But when I got to handle one, I really enjoyed the heck out of it. Now, if they offered that sucker in a S/W 500, now that would be a seller, for sure!! May need to call their engineering dept on that one! bad_smile.gif

Edited by unclejake

Id never own one but guys that do sure have a lot of fun plinking. Not bad accuracy either.

May I ask why you wouldn't own one? I know you like Kel-Tecs and a lot of people disparage them for basically the same reasons. Just curious.

Im into uzi and cobra pistoos and carbines already. i have shot tbe hipoint 9mm arbine. it was ok. maybe someday i would buy a pistol from them to bury in the woods with ammo!

fuckung kindl

I had a hi-point .45 pistol back some time ago.

I sold it to get money for a Glock after I realized the safety issue and the FP is always under tension.

The rear of the slide is only held down by a roll-pin through a tiny post on the pistols. If that post fractured that the pin goes through & the rear of the slide kicked up ever so slightly, the person better hope they're not carrying it Gangsta-style in the front of their pants, or the guy's going to get a gender reassignment operation when he least expects it.

That being said, I never had a malfunction while shooting & for a $150.00 pistol that shoots .45 caliber & can be left under the seat of your car and you wouldn't be bummed if it got stolen, not a bad weapon.