Bottom Rail Mounting screw.

I had to go up to 14mm, the 12mm would barely thread in my rail, even after cutting on the rail so it would sit as flush as possible with the gas block. Before I cut on the rail, the 12mm screw stripped on the very tip (the only part that was actually biting). After I cut, the 12mm screw still didn't go in far enough that I felt comfortable using thread locker on it.

An engineer friend told me you want at least 5 full turns into the thread, so that was the standard I was going by. The 14mm gave us just under 6 complete turns with a tight fit. As mentioned, I did have to grind/cut on my rail to get it to seat properly - I had a funny burr that was perfectly square that was pushing the rail off of the gas block. So, that being said, my rail might not have been completely "standard," so your mileage may vary.

Yeah, it should also be noted that I have two small shims between my gas block and my rail to try to make it sit flush, so this would make up for the extra distance.

The screw that came with my rail stripped the last 1/8" or so of thread and came out, then a replacement from Lowe's broke and had to be extracted. I filed the burr some and tried again with a grade 10.9 which also broke. Now I've completely ground off the burr and have a grade 12.9 (hardest available to my knowledge) with a couple of shims to ensure proper fit loctited in place so I know that the screw backing out won't be the cause of a break.

(By the way, I e-mailed your support on this issue, Cameron, and was e-mailed back, but I believe I have solved my problem. I will be in contact if this final screw breaks, as I have no idea what to do beyond what I have done. Your customer service and support is excellent as always, thanks!)