Safety barely engaging?

My camera does not focus well close, but here is a pic of what I'm talking about. The trigger "hook" barely engages the hammer when on "safe".

001-1.jpg

This is with triggerd pulled, while on "Safe". It barely catches (camera is misleading, it probably catches between 1/16 - 1/8th"). I have tried bumping buttstock on the ground and it does not seem to fire (let go). Is this little of contact common for AK's?

Edited by Brian M1

Yep, you are gona need to add a bit of weld to the safety, then file to get the right fit.

Use google to search "forum saiga 12 safety wont engage".

I used this video as a guide:

and my build turned out exactly as such. It seems they are not worried about the excess trigger movement either (nor it barely catching with safety on). Example of this is 11:00 mins into the video. This leads me to believe this is normal for these conversions.

• 3 months later...

Wouldn't be surprised if the FCG is out of spec. I have three G2 groups and each of them has very slight casting differences. The safety engagement is small on each of them, but not that small. Regardless, I've checked engagement on all three by pulling the trigger on safe while wiggling around the hammer and trigger. They won't release.

I think the G2 group is a great product, but IMO the casting quality is not great. I haven't looked at the RSA or Arsenal FCG. Honestly if I could skip over the 922r BS, I would just have NOS military FCGs in all of my AKs.