SVD style handguard on Saiga 12?

How's it going guys? I've searched and looked then searched some more and found nothing about this.

I'm sure many of you have seen this with SVD furniture:

http://legionusainc.com/izl-46-saiga-12.html

Now I love that look and want to mimic it.

I searched and found this SVD style FPK handguard:

http://www.troupsystems.com/svd%20kit.htm

I like the open top a hell of a lot better than the close on the first image.

Outside of having to open up the inside to accept the handguard and modifying it to fit inside the Saiga 12 rear retainer and danzigs front retainer would I encounter any more problems?

I plan on putting an extended NATO length AK butt stock on as well (6'8") as the Warsaw on my AK47 puts my face way to close to the reciever.

Opinions? Input? Advice?

Thanks!

I have been looking at the same thing for a while now, there isnt too much more info about it other than what you have already posted. I guess the only thing to do is give it a try. I think it looks great! I just never decided what i wanted to do.

Well I ordered the handguard from them and an extended AKM butt stock from IWD today. I guess I'll do my best to document fitment onto my S12 for anyone interested, could take a while because I just started my Masters degree and my time is devoted primarly towards it. For those interested, I ordered walnut to better match the two parts. Wish me luck, I'm probably going to need it.

• 1 month later...

Well I got it all figured out.

I sized the handguard so that I have easy access to the gas setting detent. I also used a dremel to open it up and a file to make everything flat.

gallery_42986_1065_1477377.jpg

Is the handguard long enough to just drill a hole and attach it using the original s12 screw without using retainers?

That is what I did, the hanguard already has a hole drilled for attaching a bipod. You will have to drill another hole exactly above it to match the hole for the gas block. the swivel sling will cover up the original hole drilled in the handguard

These are a little thicker then the factory SVD hand guards. factory SVD hand guards are a little thin. The only way I knew for sure the hand guards and pistol grip would match is if it came from the same block of wood. Reinforced the front retainer area.

IMGP0237.jpgIMGP0236.jpg

Edited by red_cedar
  • Like 1

I really like this look. It would also help in sweeping from target to target for those of us that prefer to hold as far out as possible in competition. It would have to be black composite for my personal preferrence though. It does look cool even in wood.

Edited by 45Bretired

Here is an old picture from a ways back, Its currently in disassemble waiting for me to rust blue it. Its been waiting awhile. The handguard on here is the original polymer style found on Russian tigers. Also have the polymer SVD style handguard

IMGP0011.jpg

Edited by red_cedar
  • Like 1

Red_cedar, that polymer gives me uh wood. Can you post where I can purchase the polymer forend? It will eliminate alot of problems I've been working out. I hold way out on every long gun I compete with and this is meant for me to have. Bless you for showing me the light. I hate to get off subject but is that a SGM Magwell? I'm on the fence about whether to get the JTE or the SGM. I keep getting negative feed back on the SGM and I'd like to hear if it is really a piece of shit from somebody who actually owns one. I'd also like to know how the SGM mags that are already converted work in it compared to the JTE. Like I said nice shotty. Any knowledge about the magwell you or anybody else can send my way would be appreciated. I may start a thread later tonight about it anyway.

Edited by 45Bretired

Red_cedar, that polymer gives me uh wood. Can you post where I can purchase the polymer forend? It will eliminate alot of problems I've been working out. I hold way out on every long gun I compete with and this is meant for me to have. Bless you for showing me the light. I hate to get off subject but is that a SGM Magwell? I'm on the fence about whether to get the JTE or the SGM. I keep getting negative feed back on the SGM and I'd like to hear if it is really a piece of shit from somebody who actually owns one. I'd also like to know how the SGM mags that are already converted work in it compared to the JTE. Like I said nice shotty. Any knowledge about the magwell you or anybody else can send my way would be appreciated. I may start a thread later tonight about it anyway.

Gun Broker for the handguards, both Russian Tiger and Russian SVD

The magwell is Russian.

The gun now looks different from the picture. The picture was when I was in the process of reworking it.

You can buy them now with the handguards in place and you just add the grip and different stock.

Edited by red_cedar