Takedown procedure

Gentlemen, and perhaps ladies, I recently purchased a Saiga .308 here in Calif. upon the advice of my gunsmith not to get a PTR91. I think I made the right decision and saved a lot of $$. I can't take possession of the gun for another week but I wanted to get familiar with operations and dissasembly. I found the manual for Saiga's but the photos are poor. Is there a clear write up with photos someone has done here to help me see how to disasemble the rifle correctly?

Thanks for any help, and I'm enjoying all the posts on mods for this rifle. I can tell this Saiga is going to get fun quick.

• 5 weeks later...

@K3Gixxer,

Sounds like we are in the same boat. I too paid for my Saiga .308 recently and am anxiously waiting for it to clear. Sounds like we might have even gone to the same shop (Rifle Gear) as I was also wanting the PTR91. I'm curious why your gunsmith talked you down though. Also could you tell me how you found the manual, so far I have had no luck.

I'm curious why your gunsmith talked you down though. Also could you tell me how you found the manual, so far I have had no luck.

It's because he's a gunsmith, duh... 021.gif The PTR comes ready to go. The S-308 requires ...gunsmithing... in order to be at its best.

It's also worth noting that getting a .308's bolt and carrier back in is a bit more annoying than standard AKs. It just takes a bit more finagling.

Shouldn't be a problem though. Most members here are expert finaglers.

It's also worth noting that getting a .308's bolt and carrier back in is a bit more annoying than standard AKs. It just takes a bit more finagling.

this is good to know. I always have so much trouble with the damn thing! its nice that its not just me!

amazing.gif

• 2 weeks later...

@K3Gixxer,

Sounds like we are in the same boat. I too paid for my Saiga .308 recently and am anxiously waiting for it to clear. Sounds like we might have even gone to the same shop (Rifle Gear) as I was also wanting the PTR91. I'm curious why your gunsmith talked you down though. Also could you tell me how you found the manual, so far I have had no luck.

He didn't talk me out of a PTR.. but he wasn't talking me into a Saiga either. He had the opinion that the PTR was prone to more trouble and since the Saiga was less expensive and relatively trouble free that the Saiga would be his choice for a .308. I have to say I'm very happy with this decision. Other than being a heavy bastard (wood hunting stock, SGM muzzle break, and POSP scope), it's an awsome rifle.