For what they're charging for this thing, I'd rather have a steel drum, (proven reliability and durability). wink.png

ymmv.

I would actually give it a try if it was under 50 dollars. In my mind thye did very good with Saiga 12 drums so maybe they can pull this off.

I saw that too. I'll go steel Romy first. I like their S12 12rnd, but given the choice, I'll go steel EVERYTIME.

the top loading one?

i dont have one but im not sure i want one i have a 75 ati korean and a 100 rd chinese and like most people id try the promag if it is was cheap (price, that is not quality like i expect it to be lol)

I'd prefer the back loading. I've heard very little good about the Korean drum(pop metal, cheap rivets, etc). May be a luck of the draw thing though. I've never heard anything bad about the Romys and the Chinese are rare to say the least.

I'd prefer the back loading. I've heard very little good about the Korean drum(pop metal, cheap rivets, etc). May be a luck of the draw thing though. I've never heard anything bad about the Romys and the Chinese are rare to say the least.

My experience w/ the Korean exacly. I got the ATI Korean drum and wished I hadn't. Shells start jumping out of the feed lips after half a turn of the spring. The shell-holder wheel things are mal-formed; some of the ammo cells are too small and some are too large. The feed ramp to the magwell part was bent to hell right out of the box.

I've never been able to use it and don't think I ever well. If you got one that worked, cheers. I didn't.

If Promag can make it work right, good on them. Hope they do.

I doubt they got in trouble, something like 5+ batches came in. I think they are keeping them in Bulgaria for the required number of years. and then importing them. Risky but within the laws as they are currently understood.

The Promag could actually work well. The way the drums work could fit right in with the poly type that promag uses. The fingers within the drum would probably work well with a self lubricating poly.

I doubt they got in trouble, something like 5+ batches came in. I think they are keeping them in Bulgaria for the required number of years. and then importing them. Risky but within the laws as they are currently understood.

The Promag could actually work well. The way the drums work could fit right in with the poly type that promag uses. The fingers within the drum would probably work well with a self lubricating poly.

If they are going to go through the trouble they should at least bring the 100rd drums! Hopefully that works for them.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

The top load Romanian and Russians are nice. They wont fail you, but you have to have a thumb of steel to load them. you gotta press the lever down for each round you insert. Other than that, they are strong, sturdy, take abuse drums. I like the conture of the slant forward for the RPK's on bipods. I own several drums from Romanians to Chinese and I do like the back load and wind up, but I have had even the Chinese drums jam up. The top loads.... Never had a jam, slip, or any problems. They're just consuming to load.

The top load Romanian and Russians are nice. They wont fail you, but you have to have a thumb of steel to load them. you gotta press the lever down for each round you insert. Other than that, they are strong, sturdy, take abuse drums. I like the conture of the slant forward for the RPK's on bipods. I own several drums from Romanians to Chinese and I do like the back load and wind up, but I have had even the Chinese drums jam up. The top loads.... Never had a jam, slip, or any problems. They're just consuming to load.

Is $80 a good price on them? I only have one Romanian back loading drum that I paid $100 for. Now I see local gun shops and vendors at shows pricing Korean for $120.

Bulgarian is the way to go! naaaa.gif

The Bulgarian were actually Chinese made, some company stamped the "circle 10" to get them in, but got in some deep shit, at least according to the internet.

That was ATI, and they did get in a little shit. They were not the ones stamping them, though. Someone was importing them into Europe, stamping them, and passing them off as Bulgarian. THEY got in deep shit

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm going for it. just cause I can't get a steel Romy shipped to me and I figured I better get one before they can't sell them anymore(hope not). I'll let you all know.

There you go! Please let us know when they are actually available and how it tests. I'll need one if I want to put a drum on the AMD-65 and be 922r good.

Meanwhile I just ordered a Romy Drum from Apex to replace the "failure to launch" API Korean-POS.....if the Romy doesn't work, I'll give up and keep my few remaining C-Bills to myself. :)

Wow! The Romy drum mag passes the Snap-Cap test with all my AK variants.....the ATI Korean failed w / every one of them......if you look at the two drums side-by-side, there is NO! Comparison,.....

The Korean ATI drum has two flimsy, sheet-metal flaps for feed-lips whereas the Romy has the same system as any decent box magazine.........

Got 2 Excellent ATI mags for my Saiga 12.....however, their 7.62x39 drum mag is a NO GO!

Edited by DropKick867
  • 2 weeks later...

ATI SAIGA-12 Mags?????? The only manufactured S-12 mags I've found are Factory,AGP,SGM, and PRO-Mag correct me if I'm wrong I'm fairly new to the saiga12 but not so new in the AK realm but aperantly there is an ass load of new information I've learned off of you guys on here it is nuts some of y'all really know your shit wich is awesome and not to steal the post but has anyone ever heard of someone selling the 10 rnd AGP S-12 mags for a Rediculous 65.00 or am I crazy I can get them from the e- store for 30.00

Edited by Warthog35F
  • 2 weeks later...

Warthog, check the S12 section, if you haven't already. And welcome to the forums.

I talked to ProMag . They're suppose to have another patch going out soon. Here's hoping my vendor is one of the shipments. Backordered a month now. bad_egg.gif

Edited by BpS12