Hypothetical 922 Inspection

As some of you know, I'm new to this great world of AK's and conversions, and I don't think that anybody is ever going to look at my rifle, but if some agent was to look at it, how is he/she going to know what is american or foreign parts? I'm going to save all the receipts for all my parts just in case I have to prove that they are made in the great US of A.

As some of you know, I'm new to this great world of AK's and conversions, and I don't think that anybody is ever going to look at my rifle,

in short, nobody will. there is no "922r police". about the only time I foresee anybody will look at it, is if you do something really, really stupid with it, ie. "shoot up the place". then if it isn't in compliance, they'll just throw that charge in with the variety of other charges you'll be facing. course, if your going to "shoot up the place" i serious doubt that a 922r violation would even register for you. "oh my, I can't "shoot up the place" I don't have enough US parts, better order some and install it before going on that rampage"

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1

Good Lord, some of you people obsess over this. :rolleyes:

No one has ever been charged with violating 922®. If anyone ever is, it will be a "tack-on" charge, just another one they can throw at someone whos' facing far more serious shit.

If you want to save your receipts, you can, but that's entirely unnecessary.

Most US-made parts will have "US", (or similar), somewhere on them. Some do not. Most foreign parts, (except the receiver, barrel, bolt, bolt carrier), are not marked as such.

Most ATF agents will have no idea wtf they're looking at anyway, and probably aren't too familiar with 922® to begin with.

I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like 1

"Officer, I am not in posession of anything illegal."

"I decline voluntary consent to any search."

Then shut your mouth, comply with directions, and let the nice officer prove his probable cause for search in court.

Since I'm using domestic mags, I wanna see him demonstrate his ability to see that my bolt is (hypothetically) unmarked while watching me fire it from 10 feet away.

Well yes, its an interesting hypothetical, in much the same way that "does spontaneous human combustion occur?" is an interesting hypothetical. But in the real world there are just 2 ways for it to come up in 49 states:

1) You announce "The rifle in my posession is not 922r compliant" in the hearing of a federal agent with the knowledge of what you are talking about, the juristiction to arrest for that violation, and the attitude to give a crap.

2) You completely dissassemble your saiga in a public place, in public view, in presence of said agent, while raising and rotating each part so said agent can see the requisite number or parts are not stamped "USA".

In which case, you will take a ride, get a court date, and have to present your papers and/or gun log showing you were 922r compliant before using standard cap mags. Though the more interesting route would be engaging the NRA and fight it as a law applying strictly to manufacturers, so we could all finally get some clarity.

Sorry, two other scenarios: you use the weapon in a crime, or you get stopped in cali for an unloaded check.

• Like 1