I've never hunted in my life. Not because I'm against it, but because I know pretty much nothing about it, and the idea of sitting out in the woods for hours and not being able to have a cigarette doesn't appeal to me.bad_smile.gif

My ex's dad is big into hunting, and offered to show me the ropes many times. But our schedules never worked out, so it never happened, unfortunately.

So anyway.............my parent's have been having a problem with woodchucks. Bastards are digging up their garden and under parts of the foundation to the garage. I jokingly said I would shoot 'em for them. (Jokingly, because while they don't exactly live inside the city limits, it's not the "country" either. We can't make a habit of shooting here regularly.) But to my surprise, they asked me to do it. So I happily obliged.

Myself and a bunch of other fam/friends went over for a cookout and I brought my new AR (well, new upper, old lower). We were sitting out on the deck, smoking and bullshitting when I see one of the bastards at the base of a dirt berm, about 25 yards away from the house. I grab my AR and proceed to creep into the side room with a window that faces where the 'chuck was (too many people on the deck to shoot from there, unless I had ear pro for everyone! lol). I put my muffs on, slid the screen up, put sights on the bastard and fired 1 round. His body jumped pretty good.

Aftermath below. Turn away now if dead animals offend you:

photobucket-6748-1340407686552.jpg

Ammo was plain old 5.56; 55gr Prvi FMJ. Shot out of a 14.5" Spikes upper, LaRue fixed BUIS and a perm-attached DynaComp. I know 5.56 doesn't have much recoil to begin with, but...................DAMN, that DynaComp, paired with the midlength gas system? Felt like shooting a damn air gun.

So anyway, that was my first kill shot, aside from picking off birds with the ol' Crossman BB gun as a kid. There's a couple more 'chucks running around, so I'll be keeping my eye out.bad_egg.gif

• Like 2

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck????

NONE, he's blown UP!!!

Yes, that he is. When I picked it up, he guts pretty much fell out.

So me being the nice guy that I am, sent a picture of it to my sister (who is severely grossed out by such things) with a text that said "His epidermis is showing". She didn't find it funny, but I did! Hahahaha.

• Like 1

Nice cavitation. I used to shoot rabbits with a .303 Enfield ( no neighbors at that time, except for coyotes, rattlesnakes and jackrabbits). There wasn't much edible meat.

• Like 1

Good enough for the destructive little bastard! I love killing woodchucks. You'd know why if you had any idea how many times I've twisted an ankle in one of their holes, out in the hay fields.

• Like 2

Nice cavitation. I used to shoot rabbits with a .303 Enfield ( no neighbors at that time, except for coyotes, rattlesnakes and jackrabbits). There wasn't much edible meat.

I did this once with a MN 91/30, surplus ammo and a squirrel about eye level on a tree. To say there was nothing left is an understatement.

I have to admit though it does make me feel bad. I cant help it, there is something cute, in a fuzzy sorta way about these critters.

• Like 2

Cool! I love smoking the ground squirrels out here in Montana with a .17hmr. They turn into a red dust ball upon impact. The cows will thank you for your support and the ground support they get. Much better to kill all the ground squirrels by any means possible than to loose a cow or a horse to one of their damn sink hole tunnels.

Now that you have a taste for blood. Consider deer hunting. Not only do you not get to smoke, you can tear the back straps out and cook them right after the kill. A real reward. It does something to a man when they go primitive. You understand the cycle of life much better and develop a great respect for G-d and the environment.

Hunting for food is even more fun than exploding gophers and ground squirrels!

If you really get into it, I might see you out here some day quartering out a bull elk! That will really change your world!

Congrats on your first hunt! Best of luck in the future!

Edited by Stryker0946
  • Like 1

Hunting is a great hobby to get into because first of all you get to shoot guns plus you get to see animals in a different perspective. You learn their habits and eventually you know when and where to nail them. It really does give you a new respect for the animal.

As for blasting nuisance animals like your woodchuck, graphic kill shot. Anyway down here in Florida we are allowed to kill wild boar without any kind of license/permits since they are considered an invasive species.

Great target practice if nothing else as long as it's a nuisance.

• Like 1