Saiga 12 030 vs 040 new models?

Alright.. So I'm kind of hoping the Vepr 12's hit stateside soon. I know they're in the process of being brought over, but who knows how long this could take.

(As an aside, does anybody know how the latest Saiga 12's compare to the Veprs?? It seems like they have alot of the same features.. Anything really outstanding between the two?)

So I'm in the market for a new model Saiga 12. What I'm confused about is the difference(s) between 030 and 040 models. Is there anything substantial? I heard that the 030's don't have a variable gas system.. From what I understand, on shotguns, isn't that kind of a big deal? It affects the kinds of ammo you can cycle reliably right?

I don't see any "converted" 040 shotguns from Atlantic or Legion like I do the 030.

In general I am in need of some of the sage wisdom here from fellow Saiga lovers!

Thanks in advance!

030 do not have an adjustable gas system and have a shorter sight radius.

040 has an adjustable system and a front sight on the barrel (longer).

The Russian site members seem to prefer the Molots over Izzys. Basically, the same but better attention to detail.

The imported Veprs will have a slant back receiver which is a deal killer for some.

Regarding the lack of an adjustable gas system- how bad is this in practice?

I don't understand your question. The guns were brought in earlier this year with, what was said to be, a "self-adjusting" gas system. So, there was a lot of hope that we could run whatever load(s) we wanted and not have to worry about beating the rear trunnion to death. Upon delivery, it was discovered that the system does not work as claimed. It is a closed system with no adjustment (self or manual). Furthermore, member Ramlake realized that the longer US barrel caused more dwell time. Thus, the use of magnum loads may not be advised.

Wow, so the 030's aren't all that great then?

No, I didn't say that. They are just different.

The obvious answer is always, get both;-)

"Just different" but having a borked or only semi-functional gas system.. To me, does not sound like it is merely different. Inferior. Even if only slightly.

Unless this 'closed' gas system has its perks? That's what I'm asking. Bottom line what does the 030 gas system bring to the table to make it "different" instead of markedly worse. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this is all, I don't mean to come across like a massive nub.

No worries, Vulgotha.

The 030 was sought after for years. Many of us threw down serious $$$ years ago on a hope that we would get one (or two) of the supposed 200 that would ever be imported. Most of us have yet to see a gun or our $$$ back:-(

The 030 is not for everyone. It is certainly a unique/boutique gun. To me the appeal was the handguards, the gas system, the magwell, and overall the look and rarity of the gun.

The 040 or the traditional 109 models certainly offer more options and variability.

What model to get really depends on what you want to do with the gun. Once you have the sickness, you will find that you need one (or five) of each model. ;-)

No worries, Vulgotha.

The 030 was sought after for years. Many of us threw down serious $$$ years ago on a hope that we would get one (or two) of the supposed 200 that would ever be imported. Most of us have yet to see a gun or our $$$ back:-(

The 030 is not for everyone. It is certainly a unique/boutique gun. To me the appeal was the handguards, the gas system, the magwell, and overall the look and rarity of the gun.

The 040 or the traditional 109 models certainly offer more options and variability.

What model to get really depends on what you want to do with the gun. Once you have the sickness, you will find that you need one (or five) of each model. ;-)

Ok, so what does the 030 gas system provide in return? Anything?

Regarding the lack of an adjustable gas system- how bad is this in practice?

So far, I've experienced no problem. Tested mine out (stock IZ433) couple weeks ago and it digested slugs, 00 buck, #4 & #7 1/2 without a single hickup. Don't know what to tell ya. Mine works.