i was stripping down the gun to get ready for conversion and noticed the pin on the bottom of the gas block. I bought the midwest industries aluminum quad rail and was wondering if people left the pin sticking out on both sides or ground it down since the handguard wont cover it. Here's a pic of what i'm trying to explain.

DSCN0453.jpg?t=1340588306

Don't cut it off, lol.

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to find a 3.02mm pin that is longer than the regular FSB/GB pins? If you find some, let me know. One time I improvised one out of a screw driver that I found in the library in highschool years ago. It was like 3.1mm though.

If I were you i would order a regular pin, then tap out the long one and put the regular length one back in. This would allow your rifle to look sexy without that out of place looking pin, and if you ever want a Saiga type handgaurd, you can take the regular one out and put the elongated one back in.

Elongated pins are good to have. Once upon a time I installed a new FSB for the first time, and the rifle moved a cunt hair while drilling. This made one of the pin holes a bit wider than 3mm at one point. After shooting the hell out of the rifle the pin drifted out just a tiny tiny bit. Being the asshole that I am, I was not okay with this. I took the pin out and installed the elongated pin. I then dremmeled it down till it was just a millimeter or two too long on either side, drilled a dimple into each end of the pin, and then flared out the sides. That pin is not coming out anytime soon, no matter HOW much bigger than pin channel may or may not be.

• Like 1

Don't cut it off, lol.

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to find a 3.02mm pin that is longer than the regular FSB/GB pins? If you find some, let me know. One time I improvised one out of a screw driver that I found in the library in highschool years ago. It was like 3.1mm though.

If I were you i would order a regular pin, then tap out the long one and put the regular length one back in. This would allow your rifle to look sexy without that out of place looking pin, and if you ever want a Saiga type handgaurd, you can take the regular one out and put the elongated one back in.

Elongated pins are good to have. Once upon a time I installed a new FSB for the first time, and the rifle moved a cunt hair while drilling. This made one of the pin holes a bit wider than 3mm at one point. After shooting the hell out of the rifle the pin drifted out just a tiny tiny bit. Being the asshole that I am, I was not okay with this. I took the pin out and installed the elongated pin. I then dremmeled it down till it was just a millimeter or two too long on either side, drilled a dimple into each end of the pin, and then flared out the sides. That pin is not coming out anytime soon, no matter HOW much bigger than pin channel may or may not be.

Good advice. I think I will do this to mine. I seems to me it would be quite handy to have the longer pin for future use.

Don't cut it off, lol.

Good advice. I think I will do this to mine. I seems to me it would be quite handy to have the longer pin for future use.

OK. So I drove out the long handguard pins (two rifles) ans replaced then with FSB pins. Now the pin is flush anbd i have two longer pins for future use. Great idea Agent Lemon. Thanks for the tip.