I have a SBS 12 cut to 12 in but the "gunsmith" that was suppose to thread the end for the muzzle break messed up the threads and essentially left it for me to try to fix. I think I can get the muzzle break welded on via tig weld but I am not sure if it matters ... maybe i should just leave the muzzle break off? Any suggestions? Does it make a difference outside of recoil? Thanks...

oh yea I never moved the gas block because I found with the heavier loads I was shooting I never had an issue... thanks..

I will try to get some posted... Like I said it is 12.25 in right now and I am afraid to go less than 12 least I have to move the gas block and I just don't really know how to do all that... I mean I read all the info on taking it off but making it shorter seems a bit more complicated... like I said I could just leave it off ... anyway I will try to get some pictures tomorrow

Here ya go. Too much of a pain in the ass to check your album bad_smile.gif

gallery_43013_1007_10945.jpg

BTW that looks like hell. Make him give you a refund, or fix his mistake. It is obvious it's messed up

Edited by socom688

Theres room to cut, crown, and rethread. Those threads look (and this is only based on photo) crooked. Puting a muzzle break on that might end up with some strikes, if it's not square. You could, assuming you have the equipment to do this cut and crown the barrle, then maching out the internal threads of your chosen brake, to just 0.001"-0.002" clearance and then have a break tacked on via tig. (if you cho9se not atempt a rethread...which is really much easier)

They are crooked and I did not pay for the "work" of course... He reamed out the muzzle break and tried to weld it on but I was able to break it off so didn't do a good job there... I have smoothed out the inside of the muzzle break and it now fits right over the barrel back over the threads... which is why I was thinking about having it tig welded all the way around but then it is permanent...

here is a how to that is great for chopping and re-threading.

http://forum.saiga-1...-with-no-lathe/

it is not that hard with the right tools. the gun is worth a lot considering it is a legal sbs, its worth doing right.

a few things to consider,

if you were to weld a break on it would fit a lot better and straighter with those threads cut off and then welded to the smooth barrel. also with the weld on option you will not be able to remove the gas block to work on your ports if you ever wanted to with out cutting the break off.

if you did weld a break on it, the opportunity to use chokes to tighten up the pattern and create a little more back pressure would be lost.

if you re-thread and lose a little more of the barrel you can make the barrel length back up with a choke tube and create a little more back pressure.

all of these options depend on your ability and what your willing to try. good luck i hope you get it sorted out the way you want it and i feel your pain that its not going as planned.

• 2 weeks later...

Still no have not made a decision and I don't know any good welders to tig weld this brake on if that is the final decision I was thinking maybe just cut it back to 11.5 and leave it and only run heavy loads... or finding someone to move the gas block back if I can't get a lathe to turn the barrel down...