need slug load info from members with experience in this area

I have an 8" saiga shorty. I have been casting the keyhole 1 ounce lee slugs. I have the once shot Winchester casings AA silver marked 3-1-8. Does that mean it is a 3 inch shell that held 1 ounce #8 shot?

Anyways, I would like to load some of these shell/slugs. With the understanding that I would use at my own risk, would you share some of your load data with me? I believe I have a pound of Aliant blue dot and one of green dot. I know some others may be better but I want to use what I have first. Would basically use for plinking but there are coyote out here and it would be nice to make a clean kill with whatever load I am making. By the way, I bought 500 wads, Claybuster CB1100-12 which replace the WAA12SL.

Thanks

eseaton

I believe you can MEASURE the casings... if they are 3" open, they are 3 inch shells... I would say the 3 printed on them means 3 DRAM eq. ( the amount of powder used in them. )

Most of those silver hulls A&A's were trap loads... so a one ounce 3 dram Eq, size 8 trap load makes perfect sense. :up:

:smoke:

• 2 weeks later...

One ounce is very light for Blue Dot. I feel like I'm wasting money. I'd be inclined to search for recipes using the green dot. Generally speaking, slugs have lower psi than equal mass of shot. Save the Blue dot for heavy loads.

• 3 weeks later...

Based on my original question, I need to add that I have red dot, green dot, unique vihtavouri N-340 as my current powders on hand. Can anyone scan loading data based on the wads, shells, powder and the 1 oz slugs to get me going on loading. I realize I should try to buy a loading manual but since this is the only load I intend to be working with for now, it is all I need.

ANy help is appreciated. Please email to my private email at: esea2000 (at) yahoo.com

This is what I will be shooting them in so I imagine a powder that has a faster burn rate would be better......

x3abz9.jpg

Thanks

eseaton

go to alliant's website for loading data for the dot powders, or vihtavuori oy's site for loading data for theirs... its ALL THERE... plug in the variables, and get your load., its THAT EASY!!!! really.... it is... 032.gif

http://lmgtfy.com/?q... reloading data

or

http://lmgtfy.com/?q... reloading data

000.gif