Bulging AR birdcage style flash hider on shorty 12

I spent some time looking and trying to see if I could find a picture in any of the threads that looks like my flash hider the presently resides on my 8" Saiga 12 gauge. it measures just slightly over 2 inches long and has 10 slots. There are 2 flat areas at the very distal end for installation and removal.

This was added a while back but I had not shot with it in place until a few days ago. I noticed a bulging of the piece. Does anyone recognize this and remember who the manufacturer is/was?

Do I have a problem with ammo selection and/or other matters or is it just a poor quality part? Is it getting ready to come apart? I did see one thread where one sort of similar but with holes drilled in the base had a failure and I think that was an ETAC product if I remember right.

Any help with this is appreciated.

Now, for the people who own shorty versions. I realize it is extremely unrealistic to expect much less than a fireball when shooting, but absolutely, without a doubt, based on your personal experience, who makes the best version of flash hider that fits the standard thread pattern?

Please feel free to contact me at: esea2000@yahoo.com with any info or comments you feel would help. I really appreciate the forum and knowledge found here.

eseaton

post-6979-0-21714000-1340906577_thumb.jpg

post-6979-0-37179200-1340906584_thumb.jpg

Wowz!

Of course, I could be wrong, but that doesn't look like an MD Arms flash hider. On an MD 10 slot, there are flats 180 degrees opposite one another at the end and where the FH goes over the threads of the barrel. That FH might possibly be a DPH? I believe they made one like that too, but someone please correct me if I an wrong.

The following pics are of a MD Arms 10 slot flash hider....

post-22401-0-74643500-1340968846_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-76601000-1340968877_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-62065000-1340968935_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-59630400-1340968966_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-33052300-1340969004_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-22594600-1340969032_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-09134800-1340969200_thumb.jpg

Wowz!

Of course, I could be wrong, but that doesn't look like an MD Arms flash hider. On an MD 10 slot, there are flats 180 degrees opposite one another at the end and where the FH goes over the threads of the barrel.

I missed that before, but you are absolutely correct. Mine has the same "flats" and mine is stamped/engraved MD ARMS. That looks to be another copy of the original Russian FH.

• Like 1

Wowz!

Of course, I could be wrong, but that doesn't look like an MD Arms flash hider. On an MD 10 slot, there are flats 180 degrees opposite one another at the end and where the FH goes over the threads of the barrel.

I missed that before, but you are absolutely correct. Mine has the same "flats" and mine is stamped/engraved MD ARMS. That looks to be another copy of the original Russian FH.

Good shot. I forgot about the engraving of the MD Arms name ;) Details....

I like the Phantom flashider. I looked at all types and figured it would be the least likely to contact the wadding or anything else.

I've only shot in the daytime, but looking at the muzzle, there is no apparent flash, or smoke for that matter. It is discolored, meaning it is disrupting the expanding gasses. This is on a 19" barrel. YMMV on a shorty.