So anyway.. I digress. I hope no one thinks I think they're crazy for "stockpiling" ammo, as that was not my intent (my thread title is prob misleading). It's never a bad idea to have more ammo than needed. I just hope people take away from this, what COULD happen, what COULD be most valuable to them, and how important an order to society is. We're all kind of screwed without that order, so let's hope it never gets to that! Just wanted to plant some seeds of thought to all those that are "preparing" for SHTF. IMO, it's not a simple matter of "get more ammo". I hope that's what gets across with this thread.

• Like 1
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

to me its another failed agency on a powertrip enforcing rules and regulations passed down by criminal thugs who stand against the very interest of the people. but then again, like many on this forum,

Stockpiling is crazy, I for one do not participate in this nonsense. In fact im thinking of selling my remaining guns b/c I dont need them, the government will keep me safe.

Brian M Thank you so much for getting back to me, and the bonus of a mini lesson on the wonders of the DHS was an unexpected addition. I have been reroofing my home so could not get back to you soone

Posted Images

That reminds me. I need to get more ammo!

I don't see SHTF/TEOTWAWKI/OMGWTFBBQ as a likely course for history to take during my life. Even if it is, I'll probably be helping direct jack booted government ninjas to shuffle people to their FEMA death camps before being secretly executed with a TSA .40 S&W myself...or something.

Anyway, my ammo supply is mostly as a result of getting while the getting is pretty good. I don't foresee prices coming down nor availability increasing, and, given the presumptive candidates in the upcoming election, Obamarama could be worse and more enduring than in 2008. And actually my stuff is a mess. I need to get my sarcophagus of 7.62 out of the living room.

So anyway.. I digress. I hope no one thinks I think they're crazy for "stockpiling" ammo, as that was not my intent (my thread title is prob misleading). It's never a bad idea to have more ammo than needed. I just hope people take away from this, what COULD happen, what COULD be most valuable to them, and how important an order to society is. We're all kind of screwed without that order, so let's hope it never gets to that! Just wanted to plant some seeds of thought to all those that are "preparing" for SHTF. IMO, it's not a simple matter of "get more ammo". I hope that's what gets across with this thread.

Then why does DHS need millions of rounds of 40 caliber JHP? Are they expecting a SHTF situation? What's the inside scoop?

Um.. video games? I'm 41 yrs old and work for US Department of Homeland Security. Maybe you shouldn't assume you know people you are speaking to on forums.

Uh oh it's the boogie man. Did you look at any of the threads on this subject? This subject is so diverse depending on who, what when, where it's not funny. Some think that ammo will be currency, others think precious metals. It might turn out to be water in NYC and ammo in Cedar Rapids. I will continue to do what I do. If you want to just stock a couple of boxes, go ahead. Just don't be surprised that people disagree with you.

• Like 2

I'm 41 yrs old and work for US Department of Homeland Security.horror.gif

Stockpiling is crazy, I for one do not participate in this nonsense. In fact im thinking of selling my remaining guns b/c I dont need them, the government will keep me safe.ph34r.png

Edited by big-J
  • Like 9

The way I see it, the only way you will survive this (yet another SHTF scenario) is to band together with a substantial number of like minded individuals in order to fend off the the hoards of former government assistance recipients.

I see a flaw in your reasoning. While it would be best to combine with like minded individuals, it is now in the society we live in a rather hard endevour to do -- we live encapsulated within our electronic cocoons, most don't even really know their neighbors. Now imagine a society torn apart from (fill in the blank) stressors... People would be even more wary of others, especially others that also have guns.

No flaw in my reasoning but yes, perhaps there is in society itself. There are plenty of people who plan along the the lines I've mentioned. They also do it well in advance of any need to, rather than hurriedly making shaky alliances at the last minute. Not me, of course. I'm a loner.

• Like 2

Threads like this are based off of opinion and perception as well as the area an individual lives in. Ammo for gun owners makes sense to "stockpile", especially if your a gun owner that loves to go to the range. If that's not the case for you then don't, it makes little difference to me.

Short question DHS guy, have you ever done a bound back or break contact drill? How much ammo did you go through per 100m? I know my answer, but I'd love to hear yours.

• Like 2

Really if your planning for some sort of catastrophe you should know your neighbors. Who knows, someone down your road could be a retired doctor or dentist, even a veterinarian could set a bone or preform surgery if really needed.

You don't really know how many useful resources you could have in your own neighborhood.

Ok thats a little off topic.

I stock up on cheaper ammo, I figure I can always shoot it later when I feel like it. Right now .308 is expensive so I tend to buy what I need, not stockpile anything.

In my neck of the woods it seems everyone has plenty of firearms and ammo. Having extra is no bad thing. I like to go to the range - it's a hobby. And buying in bulk is definately cheaper. When I go to the range now I make sure I have plenty of time. When the Range Master says "shooters, the line is going cold, do not reload, fire what you have, and make your firearm safe...and step behind the line...".

That used to mean to me - ok blast out what I have in the magazine rapidly. Now I remove the mag and fire the last shot. I am more cognizant of saving what I've got and spend more time looking through my spotting scope and jotting down observations on my notepad.

I don't stare out the window expecting thousands of zombies or a Wolverines type scene where I'd need to get involved in a lengthy series of gun battles. It isn't a TV show so in that scenario I'd likely be killed. So being prepared for the unexpected is a good thing; and ammo is only one staple that would be nice to have. Most people I know have a limited budget, so before buying another 100 pounds of ammo making sure all bases are covered is worth thinking about.

(I'm looking at a case of Golden Tiger right now at a good price...lol)

"work for US Department of Homeland Security". Now that's spooky. Now I really understand your flawed logic. Ammo completely vanished overnight after Katrina. Walmart of all places stopped selling gun. Packs of Obama supporters roaming the night trying to steal whatever wasn't tied down. Siphoning gas from autos just for the fuel. The city of Baton Rouge doubled in size overnight from the "roofer" migration. People in southern Louisiana flooded northern Louisiana looking for ammo. Neighborhoods had to band together to protect their property and sleep in shifts. Don't look now, but Washington DC is without power as I type this. Now that is a really scary thought. I'm not trying to be mean, but it might help you to join the rest of us in the world we live in. Yes ammo was used to help neighbors that didn't think they needed it. I know of someone who had 15 guns without ammo.

Be safe and prepared,

• Like 3

Then why does DHS need millions of rounds of 40 caliber JHP? Are they expecting a SHTF situation? What's the inside scoop?

and what about those mobile, armored pilloxes?

I almost posted in this thread two or three times already but didn't because I hesitate to jump into a conversation that is 100% opinion about a situation that may or may not occur and if it does it could be a wide range of scenarios.

But one point the OP made I disagree with is the idea that the unkown threat will choose to "wait out" a location where it is known the occupants have the ability to fire or return fire. There will be plenty of "targets" that will have little or no defense at all and it's hard to imagine the intruder thinking "I'll wait til they run out of ammo or just die". Then as now the criminal with have to ask themselves if they think there is anything behind the bullets worth dying for.

They'll move on to easier targets and there will be plenty of them.

• Like 3

Is it not interesting that a self professed employee of the DHS starts a thread extolling the "craziness" of stockpiling ammo????? Hmmm, an emasculated population sure would be easier to control would it not?

Brian -- the "son" and vid game refs were little psyops tricks to get under your skin. Sorry if they did but I was sure that with all that specialized training the DHS gave you that you would have been smarter than to fall for such simple tricks...

Edited by Odd Man Out
  • Like 7

Here's a real-life account from Serbia rather than specualtion:

http://www.tacticali...and-account.htm

I served over there -- it was some crazy sh*t. The ethnic hatred was unbelievable -- there were instances of people putting an AT mine against a house and detonating it, in one Serb camp there was an instance of Croats being forced to castrate a person with a spoon. Oh yeah, we are civilised.... but I digress.

The way I see it, the only way you will survive this (yet another SHTF scenario) is to band together with a substantial number of like minded individuals in order to fend off the the hoards of former government assistance recipients. This won't insure your survival of course but will spike the odds tremendously in your favor. To try to bunker down on your own or try to go mobile is folly but 20/30/40 (or more) people with guns and food on your side will probably get you through the point where the majority of the non-prepared either get killed or starve to death.

The only alternative I can see to this approach is to move to the remotes of Canada and keep yourself hidden. That might work too but would be a lonely lifestyle.

Luckily, we live out of town on a dead end road, and the neighbors are either family or adopted family that are like minded. We all look after each other, keep plenty of food , supplies, and ammo on hand because we like to grow gardens, and shoot... a lot! Luckily for us, our adopted son is an engineer with a wealth of knoledge, I am a jack of all trades, and a gunsmith, and his wife is a P.A. She keeps a nice supply of medical supplies on hand and the experience to use it. And if worse comes to worse, we have our farm in the mountains in a VERY tight knit community of like minded people that are mostly related to me and they take care of their own.

So, I am not worried about a SHTF situation. We have the will to survive, and if we don't, well, I know where I'll be after I take my last breath.

• Like 1

Over some years now, I see these SHTF topics emerge on sometimes a monthly basis. SO MANY folks get their heads wrapped around "defend my home and family this" "outgun the badguys that" and all that other fine shit.

Ill keep my long version opinion to myself, but I will share some serious points that have proven to be largely unarguable, and rarely brought up, in these many threads.

#1 - ammo. If you are preparing to grab a pile of ammunition OTHER than 5,000 rounds of 22LR, and a couple of magazines for a rifle or handgun, you are probably not gonna fend well for yourself or anyone else for that matter. See who shows up when you take a game animal with your shotgun or rifle and advertise guns, food, and equipment to everyone within 5 square miles. Your next weapon of serious consideration should be either a good quality camp knife, hatchet, or e-tool.

#2 - medical - if you dont have a bottle of iodine, well, sorry for you. it doubles as water purification.

#3 - disaster aftermath - after a generator, above said iodine and a gun with ammunition, cordless power tools with extra batteries are a huge plus during power outages when you need to say, fix your roof during the storm....

#4 - keep it simple, and keep it realistic. If you dont, inside a couple of months, you will probably be someones fertilizer when you do something retarded from lack of food or good water, or when you wake up from being brained in the middle of nowhere.

• Like 1

Not too long ago most would think it's crazy to even be thinking about this shit. Now it's crazy to not think about it (and prepare). We try to gather things we use anyway and take measures to preserve it. In re: the OP on ammo - I did not mean to suggest it isn't needed. It's just a struggle to determine the right balance.

Just finished re-reading George Orwell's 1984. It is a superb piece of literature.

Here's a real-life account from Bosnia rather than specualtion:

This was a good read. It seems that as a loner, the percentages are against me. One line stood out;

"If i can give some advice: first to prep is a weapon and ammo, then everything else.."

Oh and btw, where's the best place to get 5 gallon buckets of alcohol?

Edited by Squishy

Um.. video games? I'm 41 yrs old and work for US Department of Homeland Security. Maybe you shouldn't assume you know people you are speaking to on forums.

Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut. Funny coming here spouting off about prepping when your own employer has radio/tv spots encouraging it and buying enough ammo to shoot every US Citizen multiple times.

Oh, and "homeland security"?

original-homeland-security.jpeg?w=500

ASK THESE GUYS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DON’T CONTROL IMMIGRATION!

• Like 4

Here's a real-life account from Bosnia rather than specualtion:

This was a good read. It seems that as a loner, the percentages are against me. One line stood out;

Oh and btw, where's the best place to get 5 gallon buckets of alcohol?

Five gallon buckets of alcohol? That would be AMAZING!!! No seriously...haha.gif

http://www.amazingstill.com/

Never tried it...

No son, don't think people would. BTW, I am sure you have seen a whole bunch -- those vid games nowadays are brutal... (Sorry, just could not help myself.)

I see DHS praticing all the time at IAH. What a fucking joke bunch of commandos wannabees.
  • Like 1

to me its another failed agency on a powertrip enforcing rules and regulations passed down by criminal thugs who stand against the very interest of the people. but then again, like many on this forum, i actually have love for our Constitution and our people, unlike the assbags in washington that are running things and ruining them at the same time.

i guess im crazy since i prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. if thats wrong them im guilty. but i will have no shame in it.

• Like 9

to me its another failed agency on a powertrip enforcing rules and regulations passed down by criminal thugs who stand against the very interest of the people. but then again, like many on this forum, i actually have love for our Constitution and our people, unlike the assbags in washington that are running things and ruining them at the same time.

i guess im crazy since i prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. if thats wrong them im guilty. but i will have no shame in it.

But..But..they protect us from the terrorists!!!rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

But..But..they protect us from the terrorists!!!rolleyes.gif

and those awful, illegal hair dryers!

• Like 1

My family and I have our bugout plans set up, my two sons that don't live with me have been to the spot and both have topographical maps and the ability to use them to get there if roads are impassable. We have a select group of friends who will attempt to rendezvous there if it appears to be anything more than a short term SHTF situation. My buddy and his wife live there, we have people with various different skills, experience and abilities, long term (25 year) food storage at the site, reloading capabilities and supplies, blacksmithing tools, etc. His well has a windlass in case of power outage as well as a diesel generator if needed but wouldn't be run unless absolutely necessary. He borders up on 1.2 million acres of state park, with abundant small and large game from tree rats to feral hogs. He and his wife know all the local plants that can be used for all sorts of stuff, I was amazed at some of the stuff they have for medicinal purposes that didn't come from a store. Good folks to have on your side.

One downside is if anyone in your group requires maintenance meds, diabetics are going to fall out fast. Preparing just by stockpiling ammo is shortsighted, you need shelter, food, water as well. Defending any position would have to be on a military style basis, with both patrols as well as perimeter security, whether it be dogs or other means of detection. It's not just a case of "I have 10k rounds of ammo so I'll be ok", especially if the first guy you run into knows you have it, and where, and he wants it too and is a better or faster shot. There's just too many variables in this equation to be certain how it ends up, but one thing I'm betting on is that those who have no guns, no ammo, no food, aren't going to be around for long.

• Like 1