Krebs rear aperture peep sight

I've never liked the original sights on my Saiga. With my old eyesight I've had a hard time using the iron sights. I decided to try the Krebs aperture peep sight that replaces the rear notch sight. I watched several videos on youtube showing how to remove the rear sight and I used the screw driver method. I don't have a vise to put my rifle in so I put a piece of cardboard on the kitchen counter and rested the front of the rifle upright on it. I flipped the rear sight up so the edge of the spring under it could be seen in the gap at the front of the sight. I pressed down onto the spring with a screw driver and then wiggled the rear sight out. To install the new Krebs sight I pressed down on the spring and inserted the sight and it popped right in. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I like the sight picture better than the original. I'll post back with an update once I get out and shoot it.

Anybody else using one?

PS. The elevation slide is my original one. The Krebs sight does not come with one.

2012-06-30_22-14-47_772.jpg

post-39271-929980_thumb.jpg

Edited by tchick

I purchased one based on a suggestion/review in another forum. It was also suggested to upgrade the front sight as well which I did, I tried both and I returned to the original configuration shortly thereafter. The Krebs sight didn’t do it for me however YMMV.

I haven't tried the particular one, but I have tried peep sights on the AK and didn't like it. The usefulness of the peep sight is largely defeated when it's that far away. When you use it at farther distances, you'll probably see this. It's not cheap, but I've found the best solution to AK sights is a red dot.

I have a red dot I use with the side mount but wanted to improve the iron sights. I don't plan on any long distance shooting with the irons. This evening I painted the front post flourescent orange to see how that works along with the rear peep.

I went shooting yesterday and tested the Krebs sight and I like it a lot better than the original notch. I have a red dot sight I plan on using most of the time but I'll continue to practice with the irons every time I go to the range.

I have one on a 74 I like it alot another good one is mojos microclick? I have two of those one on a 308 and one on a 47 the krebs looks almost original that is why I like that one

I looked at the mojos micro click but I don't plan on shooting long range with iron sights so I figured I wouldn't be adjusting the sight past 100m. Like you mentioned, the Krebs looks closer to the original. That's one of the reasons why I chose the Krebs.