I can do it in a couple of minutes....

Remove handguard

drive gas block pins out from let to right (don't let the plug detent fly across the room into a dark corner)

smack the gas block hard to the left and right with a rubber mallet to break it loose

with the barrel clamped (but protected) in a vise, drive the gas block off with a dull chisel supported on the bottom lug

ETA:

Ooops.... reading comprehension. I thought the OP wanted to get a "good" look at the ports ;)

Edited by evlblkwpnz

How do you take apart a Saiga 12 to find out how many gas ports it has? Do I need any special tools, or is it very simple to do? If there are photos that show this, it would be very helpful.

Thank you for helping me.

Remove the gas plug setting and either use a dental pick or paper clip to find how many ports you have.

If you are looking from the front of the weapon, and the gas regulator was a clock, there is a little button at about 8:00 (regulator detent). Push that button while unscrewing the gas regulator (counterclockwise). After you screw it out a couple of turns, you shouldn't have to push the button anymore.

If you are looking from the front of the weapon, and the gas regulator was a clock, there is a little button at about 8:00 (regulator detent). Push that button while unscrewing the gas regulator (counterclockwise). After you screw it out a couple of turns, you shouldn't have to push the button anymore.

Thank you, I appreciate it. I'm curious to know if it has 3 or 4 holes. I'm going to get one of those dental mirrors from Harbor Freight.

How does one remove the gas plug setting?

I understand these questions are simple. I admit to being new to this. I want to learn how to do this without reducing my new S12 to a pile of parts.

It's fine. I was new in January 2010. I have grown to love seeing them like this....

post-22401-0-78893800-1341204057_thumb.jpg

.... because they end up looking like this....

post-22401-0-50336100-1341204122_thumb.jpg

Thank you, I appreciate it. I'm curious to know if it has 3 or 4 holes. I'm going to get one of those dental mirrors from Harbor Freight.

I just took a medium sized paper clip bent at about 30 degrees (hooked towards you) to see if I had a 4th port. I fished around and found it easily and the paper clip went right through into the barrel. :)

I actually used it to clear debris after running 250 rounds through it yesterday.

Does'nt matter, just get a flash light and a paper clip "small one" and bend it past 90 degrees back toward you and get in there, you'll see the 3 holes, the fourth will be by the edge closest to you, its tricky to find if its plugged, which it probably is if its a new gun, i just went through everything your about go through lol. Next your gonna ask why doesn't wal mart bulk 100 ammo work! Been down this road, all of us have.

I think I have a problem, because now I really want to take the whole thing apart, as was suggested above. I'm good with tools, just new to this platform.

I want to convert it myself, and learn about this platform inside and out. I don't like sending things out. I like to know how things work.

I think I have a problem, because now I really want to take the whole thing apart, as was suggested above. I'm good with tools, just new to this platform.

I want to convert it myself, and learn about this platform inside and out. I don't like sending things out. I like to know how things work.

cool I just did my first build last month and I'm still doing things to it, your gonna get all kinds of knowledge in this forum, its great.

• Like 1

I think I have a disease , because now I really want to take the whole thing apart, as was suggested above. I'm good with tools, just new to this platform.

It is.... a disease. I can't leave anything alone. Must.... make.... it more.... evl.

Edited by evlblkwpnz