Stock Saiga forend and HEAT

I finally found out what everyone else talks about when it comes to the stock Saiga forend retaining heat! 100 rounds at the range today, and after about 80 rounds the forend was so hot it could not be held (had to keep switching hand position and giving it "cool downs", which didn't work so well). Yes, I can confirm... this handgard COOKS when firing a decent amount of rounds! I still like the looks of it, so will be retaining it, but definitely see others points as to it getting hot!

I have a bent sheet of aluminum in the hand guard with holes drilled in the had guard and after 1-200 rounds the forend isnt bad its the barrel and gas tube that will scart your hand or face if touching it.

Edited by DJ Big Dog
  • Like 1

I have a bent sheet of aluminum in the hand guard with holes drilled in the had guard and after 1-200 rounds the forend isnt bad its the barrel and gas tube that will scart your hand or face if touching it.

Now, this looks like a fairly easy, common sense, approach to this problem.

Do you think layers of Aluminum Foil (heavy duty) would work for budget constrained folks?

I'd try it myself, but, my next range day is still a couple of weeks away. dammit... blush.png

Now, this looks like a fairly easy, common sense, approach to this problem.

Do you think layers of Aluminum Foil (heavy duty) would work for budget constrained folks?

I'd try it myself, but, my next range day is still a couple of weeks away. dammit... blush.png

It may but mine is a piece of sheet aluminum and the holes add airflow it looks good and not many rattles if it is positioned and bent right. Layers of heavy duty may be better if it adds a layer of air in between each fold and it is more pliable for initial install as well.

I lined up my Draco LHG with thin stainless steel (SS) sheet, available from Lowe's/Home Depot, and it helped a bit.

But on Saiga I went with vented guard (Fuglystick) and since then I forgot all about.

Also, it serves as a platform for whatever else you want to securely hang on your masterpiece (Harris bipod for me, and laser in the near future).

Mine got hot as hell too and that was stopping to load 10 round Mags since I didn't have bullet guide yet and using the stock fore-end grip. My question is, how did they deal with this on the battlefield when they had full-auto and high cap mags? Didn't they have to worry about the barrel warping on them too? Before someone says these are dumbass questions, they are, but I'm just trying to learn.

Mine got hot as hell too and that was stopping to load 10 round Mags since I didn't have bullet guide yet and using the stock fore-end grip. My question is, how did they deal with this on the battlefield when they had full-auto and high cap mags? Didn't they have to worry about the barrel warping on them too? Before someone says these are dumbass questions, they are, but I'm just trying to learn.

Most of the battlefield firefights consist of short bursts (2-5 rounds), mostly 2-3, and average firefight is lasting minutes, not hours.

You might fire more ammo in given time at the local range, than AK-armed trooper, ambushed around his FOB in Khost or Kandahar.

Service grade AK handguards lined up with SS heat shield.

Sure they heats up, but not to the skin-burning point under the lead-showering conditions at Joe's range in the boonies.

Funny thing is that you might be pushing the envelope well beyond the General Kalashnikov's and his crew's design specs.

Edited by Sgt. Raven

Most of the battlefield firefights consist of short bursts (2-5 rounds), mostly 2-3, and average firefight is lasting minutes, not hours.

You might fire more ammo in given time at the local range, than AK-armed trooper, ambushed around his FOB in Khost or Kandahar.

Service grade AK handguards lined up with SS heat shield.

Sure they heats up, but not to the skin-burning point under the lead-showering conditions at Joe's range in the boonies.

Funny thing is that you might be pushing the envelope well beyond the General Kalashnikov's and his crew's design specs.

Thanks, sounds like a good answer to me that makes great sense!