Which hinge and folding stock are the strongest/most durable?

I want something strong that can be dropped, fire heavy slug/buckshot loads, etc., without issue.

I'm thinking of the StormWerks hinge with Tromix's new aluminum stock. Since that particular stock has not yet been released, how durable is the StormWerks hinge?

I want to get myself an Ace folder one of these days.

But I'm tempted to get a Tapco folder and torture test it to see if I can break it. A lot of guys talk shit about it, but I've never seen one broken. I had one on an old WASR years ago, never had an issue until I broke off a screw head tightening it up...that's some good polymer.

How about the triangle folder or the polymer folder? I have been wanting to put a folder on my 12 and I really like the polymer folder, but the triangle folder would work just as well. I know they will reqire more work, but I have had the triangle folder on a Saiga 223 and I loved it. I also like the Beryl folders, I've heard they are pretty tough. Beryl stock is the last one.

post-43187-0-21610400-1341435807.jpg

post-43187-0-08519600-1341435824_thumb.jpg

post-43187-0-69080800-1341436137.jpg

Edited by WVMountaineer

CNC WARRIOR is selling the Bonesteel adapters. They are the best and they don't require you to cut the tang. IMO, it's either Bonesteel or the Russian/ Bulgarian folders. The Ace and stormwerkz are obsolete, unless you have already cut the tang..

My "obsolete" Ace sidefolder has been in use on my Saiga-12 since 2005 with countless bird, buck (some 3-inch magnum), heavy shot and slugs and has yet to fail or loosen. I have seen an early Tapco fail in a match causing the shooter to nearly drop the shotgun as the stock buckled under the recoil.

^ here ya go.

ak-23-cs.jpg

Is that welded onto something (the rear trunnion maybe)? How does that attach to the stock?

I'm thinking that must have some functional purpose. I'd prefer to leave mine on and use the CNC adapter.

The rear trunnion and the tang are all one piece. The hole is for a screw to attach the buttstock. It is a vestige of the wood stock era, with the purpose of extending into the buttstock for more strength, although it helps with the polymer stock too.

If you are using a hinge or other adaptor that is metal, then you don't need it and it is in the way. People argue that they might want to go back to a fixed stock "in the future" but they won't.

A traditional stock will STILL fit without the tang. Just because you don't have one screw, the stock won't magically break. It still has at least two screws holding it.

That's quite true, but I think that the Russians discovered early on that when the AK is used as a club, the buttstock needs more support.

Depends on what you mean by strongest... The pushbutton release hinges have the strongest lockup, but not necessarily the most solid. Lockup is very positive, in that it will not release or get looser unless the button is pushed all the way. But there will be a little bit of inherent rattle when the stock is extended, that you will never quite be able to adjust all the way out. On the other hand, my push button hinge (CSS) has never started to unlock under recoil like my standard Ace unit did on the S-12. Even though the standard hinge locks up tighter due to the angled locking lugs. It's a trade off.

I have two of the standard Ace hinges and one Stormwerkz... All are quality products, but I don't think the Stormwerkz is any stronger than the others, and it has a little more vertical play in the extend position. And due to the pivot point being further inward it will not work with some of the wider stocks, like the ones I make.

You could try just about any thread on the forum, he plugs his products quite a bit.

A traditional stock will STILL fit without the tang. Just because you don't have one screw, the stock won't magically break. It still has at least two screws holding it.

That's quite true, but I think that the Russians discovered early on that when the AK is used as a club, the buttstock needs more support.

That's quite true, but I think that the Russians discovered early on that when the AK is used as a club, the buttstock shouldn't fold.

I don't know anything about all those other's, but I have an ACE folder. I went with the one that is threaded for an AR15 tube stock as opposed to the plain adapter that you would have to attach the pig nose to. Worked great and held up nicely, but one thing I didn't notice or think about, was how much higher it sets your cheek weld. I could NOT get my eye behind the sights to save my life, and the only place you can adjust this, since it's all one piece, is where the folder meets the backplate. So you either have to choose not having a sight picture, getting aftermarket sights with a higher picture, or scoot the entire set up down until it digs in the the top of your hand when you grip the gun. I finally just took it off all together and slapped the pig nose back on the end of my ACE Socom stock. Not that the mech was loose, but it does give me more confidence about the strength, and I have a comfy grip and easy sight acquisition. I was kinda getting over the cool factor of having a folder anyway lol. Someday soon I hope to be able to replace all that with one of those SGM trunion replacements that threads the tube directly in to the back of the gun and not have to depend on those two lil screws holding the pig nose on.

edited for spelling

Edited by Goose

Just making sure I haven't violated some "thou shalt not .." rule. We modify our Saiga-12 shotguns in dozens of different ways and combinations sometimes actually improving upon the basic design. Yodeling the "keep that crap off.." is similar to a bystander watching the Wright brothers do early flight experiments and saying "if man had meant to fly he would have wings".

Sally

Edited by Ronswin
  • Like 1

I was sharing information that I'd gathered through trial and error by combining different parts. My intent was to try to give back to the community that made my conversion possible hopefully help someone make a more educated decision before placing an order. Forgive me Caged, for I have sinned...

• Like 1