Which hinge and folding stock are the strongest/most durable?

Wow, you're comparing someone converting a weapon with first flight? Nice analogy... It would be more fitting if you said that this guy was drilling out the jets on his carburetor whilst others were "yodeling" about a 12.5:1 air/fuel ratio...

Nah, I couldn't POSSIBLY know from experience, that's preposterous!!!

Hmm, drilling out jets?! Really? That so.... 20th century, don't ya think?! The latest fad is something called sequential fuel injection, or so the kids tell me. It might be around awhile from what I understand, but I was trying to use a historical event that everyone could relate to. Since you missed my point that INNOVATION may possible be the direction some members here are striving to achieve with our Saiga-12 shotguns and experimentation with new or different build accessories (stoichiometric ratios notwithstanding). But hey if 1998 is more comfortable then to each his own.

I love the traditional lines of an AKM. Having said that, no two in my collection share the same style configuration. Underfolders, sidefolders, telescoping and fixed....it's what is unique to each weapon. I like being able to reach into the safe and pull out something that has the same fundamental foundation as the others while being ergonomically solitary. It's more important to me for the weapon to be model-correct. The great thing about Saigas is that you can be creative. Like I have, you can try out different looks and feels until one suits you...or more importantly, suits the weapon.

Russian

Romanian

Isreali

German

Yugoslavian

Polish

Chinese

etc....

They are all AKM... and that my friends, is all that matters.

• Like 3

Hmm, drilling out jets?! Really? That so.... 20th century, don't ya think?! The latest fad is something called sequential fuel injection, or so the kids tell me. It might be around awhile from what I understand, but I was trying to use a historical event that everyone could relate to. Since you missed my point that INNOVATION may possible be the direction some members here are striving to achieve with our Saiga-12 shotguns and experimentation with new or different build accessories (stoichiometric ratios notwithstanding). But hey if 1998 is more comfortable then to each his own.

Says the guy on an AK website...

Think about it for a bit, my analogy was based on the skillset and equipment required to do both.

But, if you prefer:

That would be like watching someone remove the fuel injection system to replace it with a carb without modifying the fuel lines or changing the fuel pump.

There, now do you wanna stop now pumpkin?

My point is, it will still work but not like the original...

Your analogy is replacing current fuel delivery technology with obsolescent is to demonstate a skill set? Sure, lets replace the engine starter too with a hand crank while you are at it. My point was a closed mind is similar to a closed book, until it's open you cannot understand it meaning. Innovation is what this forum is about.

sally pumpkin

• 4 weeks later...

The Bonesteel folder looks like it is really heavy duty and the strongest but it also looks like it adds a few extra inches to overall length of the stock. Bonesteel does not list the length of the folder mechanism so it hard to tell how much it adds.

Can someone measure their Bonesteel folder and see how long it is from the receiver to where the stock mounts to it?

It seems most of the stocks are long and I like a shorter stock so I have been looking at the Ace 7.5" skeleton stock and the Bonesteel folder for my setup but I don't know how long the total length will be.

What length stock did everyone go with? And what is your stocks overall length with or without using these different folder mechanisms?

Most of the stocks on the websites don't give their lengths so it's hard to figure what your stocks total length will be when mounted with the different folder options without buying it and hoping it works for you?

It would be nice to be able to add up the length of the parts.

Bill,

I have a Bonesteel left side folding buffer tube adapter with a UTG "mil-spec" size tube. I chose to use a Magpul CTR stock for the extra friction lock that adds to the solidity of the setup. I have yet to shoot with this stock, but I already love it! It's the first Magpul piece I've owned, and it's a quality piece for what it is. I love the fact that I can fold and collapse and still lock up so solidly. The hinge is beefy and very quiet. It locks solid every time, and holds the stock in the folded position very well. The hinge attaches to the tang and inserts into the back of the receiver.

I measured the set up for you. I hope this helps:

*all from back face of receiver to rearmost edge of stock

Folded hinge protrusion: 1 3/8" (only 1/8" more than tang)

Shortest length (unfolded stock): 9 1/2"

Longest length (unfolded stock): 12 3/4"

The Bonesteel folder looks like it is really heavy duty and the strongest but it also looks like it adds a few extra inches to overall length of the stock. Bonesteel does not list the length of the folder mechanism so it hard to tell how much it adds.

Can someone measure their Bonesteel folder and see how long it is from the receiver to where the stock mounts to it?

It seems most of the stocks are long and I like a shorter stock so I have been looking at the Ace 7.5" skeleton stock and the Bonesteel folder for my setup but I don't know how long the total length will be.

What length stock did everyone go with? And what is your stocks overall length with or without using these different folder mechanisms?

Most of the stocks on the websites don't give their lengths so it's hard to figure what your stocks total length will be when mounted with the different folder options without buying it and hoping it works for you?

It would be nice to be able to add up the length of the parts.

our hinge that accepts ace stocks is 2" from the receiver, with a 7.5" stock you will have 9.5" total inches from the receiver

for comparison a standard ak stock is 9.4" from the receiver.

If you are not in a major hurry within the next 2 months we should have ready for release our own galil style skeleton stock that is integral to our hinge, and will come in lengths of 8.5", 9.5" and 10.5 " measured from the receiver. This will also be cheaper than buying a hinge and stock seperately.

Can anyone suggest a good folding buffer tube for say, a MOE stock? I'm a big fan of them.

of course I am biased, but imho this is by far the best option for a folding buffer tube, it is lighter, stronger and has a shorter minimum LOP than any other folding m4 tube setup available.

http://www.bonesteelarms.com/Ak-Saiga-Folding-stock-with-integral-M4-collapsable-stock-akfstb.htm

if you already have a MOE stock this is availalbe $15 cheaper without the stock.

Can anyone suggest a good folding buffer tube for say, a MOE stock? I'm a big fan of them.

of course I am biased, but imho this is by far the best option for a folding buffer tube, it is lighter, stronger and has a shorter minimum LOP than any other folding m4 tube setup available.

http://www.bonesteel...tock-akfstb.htm

if you already have a MOE stock this is availalbe $15 cheaper without the stock.

Thanks, much. I do already have a MOE stock, and I planned on getting one of those Enidine buffer tubes if/when I can. I'll just look into getting the adapter.