Hey Forum members,

What functions would you like to see in the ultimate AK magazine? Are there things you see in AR magazines that you wish we could have in an AK?

I'm a long time mold maker and would like to design and produce the very best AK magazine available. Thank's in advance your your input. Hopefully this will lead to a production run in the vendor area some day.

KeepShooting.com has a "New" Teflon coated mag and of course they speak highly of it. I have 4 on the way so we'll see how they compare to surplus metal mags. Don't know if the Teflon thing is a gimmick or not but at $10ea new I thought it was worth a try.

post-41803-0-71091800-1341375518_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Look at the circle 10 design. Make it American and drop the price a few dollars and you'd have a money maker. DO NOT mold the floor plate to the magazine body.

+10

If you wanted to emulate Russian mags, that'd work too.

There's no need to re-invent the wheel here. The Bulgarians and Russians have got it right. A US-made version, (with the correct steel reinforcements), would be extremely popular.

Don't emulate US Palm. An AK mag with a non-removable floor-plate is just plain bad design, and probably the worst new AK-related product I've seen in awhile.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input. I get reliable and the need for a removable floor plate. As molds are my background and not dies I'll probably stick with plastic. What do you guys think about going with a glass reinforcement? It would still be light but pretty durable. I'll look deeper into the circle ten as some of you really seem to like it.

Anybody have any feelings one way or the other on emulating a Magpul with the little finger hold on the bottom?

KeepShooting.com has a "New" Teflon coated mag and of course they speak highly of it. I have 4 on the way so we'll see how they compare to surplus metal mags. Don't know if the Teflon thing is a gimmick or not but at $10ea new I thought it was worth a try.

post-41803-0-71091800-1341375518_thumb.jpg

That Teflon sure looks slick!

Steel reinforcement throughout, or you're just going to end up copying Tapcos and Promags, which is lame.

Steel feed lips, steel lugs (front and rear) steel skeleton. Someone needs to post up that magazine Xray picture.

Steel floor plates too.

I personally dont care for the waffle pattern mags (like the circle 10's) i prefer the Russian traditional style bodies.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 1

I mean no offense when I say this, but don't expect to make a splash in the market if you don't bring anything different to the table.

Tapco and promag (more the former) have a good grip on the polymer only USA AK magazines. US palm has started to listen, but charge a fair amount, and still don't offer a full steel cage or removable floor-plate. If you don't wanna copy the waffle pattern, no problem, just make it so that you can get a solid grip on the magazine. Hell, worst case scenario I'll slap some board tape on a slippery magazine body to give that added grip

Steel Cage Bulgarian

AKMAGview.jpg

• Like 2

It has to be light, indestructible, and drop proof while loaded from a minimum 50 feet while attached to the weapon. Did I mention indestructible?

Standard drop test is 10 drops from 5 feet onto 3/4" plywood backed by concrete, normally I aim for the worst possible impacts I can generate. Practically speaking there is little possible chance that a drop will exceed 5 feet in the field.. Another set of tests is impacts, which we just use a 400 fps airsoft gun and aluminum BBs to simulate impacts.

If your using poly another good test is loaded high and low temperature drops from two or three feet.

For doing in firearm testing I'd suggest building a test stand with some surplus ak parts and bar stock to make the tests easier to duplicate. Guide rails will allow you to actually repeat the test in every way.

• Like 1

How about a thin clear window/cut out on each side that runs the length of the magazine? Its similar to the Magpul magazine but there aren't really any AK mags like that on the market. I know there are clear polymer mags that would serve the same purpose but I would like to see a mag similar to magpul's for the AK.

• Like 2

Why more AK mags?

What we really need is better S-12 mags.

(no crappy jamming, warping, or lips breaking off mags)

I have two drums, three SGM stick mags, and the stock 5 rounder.

I refuse to buy any more S-12 stick mags until better ones are available.

See if you can duplicate the Russian 8 round mags to start with.

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 3

Why more AK mags?

I read this twice because it rings so true...

What must be overcome:

The 12ga round in an AKM is like cramming a 350 into an S10 engine bay...it can be done, but it's shoe-horned in there. The magazine well (read cutout) is maxed out from side to side, therefore, there is a limited tolerance for the magazine. There are two solutions, but only one answer. You could make it out of steel. But with the much smaller magazines of other caliber AKMs being a testament, the weight of such a large magazine would surely bring cries of agony from the less-than physically fit. The other solution is to make it from polymer. This has been done and proven, ala the 8rd Russian original. The difference in it and the American versions? Steel reinforcement. Until the American manufacturers get that right, the Russian 8 reins supreme.

Now back on topic...

The x39 magazine market is already flooded, but the Saiga market could easily become a cash-cow by producing a wide range of mags of various capacities at AFFORDABLE prices with the bullet guide/tab (steel reinforced) in place. Look at Tapco (no, really) they produce a great quality polymer magazine that is second to only the original combloc steel mags. And now you can get them as cheap as the steel surplus mags, which makes them a great alternative. I really wish Tapco would produce an S12 magazine...

Oh, and I will be ordering one of those TEFLON-coated Keepshooting mags. I need another mag anyway and that one looks interesting. And for $10, no regrets.

• Like 2

Two words regarding AR/AK mags for me. Military surplus. Cheap, easy and reliable.

This is true for surplus AK mags. Surplus AR mags are junk unless you upgrade the follower with an anti-tilt follower like a Magpul which makes them a bit more reliable. Most AR malfunctions are mag related so why start with a shitty mag? $14 for a Magpul 30 rounder isn't a bad price to pay for a much better magazine.

Steel reinforcement throughout, or you're just going to end up copying Tapcos and Promags, which is lame.

Steel feed lips, steel lugs (front and rear) steel skeleton. Someone needs to post up that magazine Xray picture.

Steel floor plates too.

I personally dont care for the waffle pattern mags (like the circle 10's) i prefer the Russian traditional style bodies.

Definitely reinforce them! Otherwise you'll be in the same category as Tapco and Promag. booo.gif

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...

Why more AK mags?

I read this twice because it rings so true...

What must be overcome:

The 12ga round in an AKM is like cramming a 350 into an S10 engine bay...it can be done, but it's shoe-horned in there. The magazine well (read cutout) is maxed out from side to side, therefore, there is a limited tolerance for the magazine. There are two solutions, but only one answer. You could make it out of steel. But with the much smaller magazines of other caliber AKMs being a testament, the weight of such a large magazine would surely bring cries of agony from the less-than physically fit. The other solution is to make it from polymer. This has been done and proven, ala the 8rd Russian original. The difference in it and the American versions? Steel reinforcement. Until the American manufacturers get that right, the Russian 8 reins supreme.

Now back on topic...

The x39 magazine market is already flooded, but the Saiga market could easily become a cash-cow by producing a wide range of mags of various capacities at AFFORDABLE prices with the bullet guide/tab (steel reinforced) in place. Look at Tapco (no, really) they produce a great quality polymer magazine that is second to only the original combloc steel mags. And now you can get them as cheap as the steel surplus mags, which makes them a great alternative. I really wish Tapco would produce an S12 magazine...

Oh, and I will be ordering one of those TEFLON-coated Keepshooting mags. I need another mag anyway and that one looks interesting. And for $10, no regrets.

I think you may have pointed me in the right direction. I've been looking into it and about $45K is what it would take to get started. Anybody have any contacts with vendors that would be interested in carrying them if I took the plunge? :)

With Tapcos at $6 each, the non-reinforced mag market is cornered with one that is cheap and useable.

It looks like the Bulgarians just came out with one that is about $10-15 cheaper than the Circle 10's with similar metal reinforcements.

post-4669-0-72976100-1343834844_thumb.jpg

KVAR has them in stock.

With Tapcos at $6 each, the non-reinforced mag market is cornered with one that is cheap and useable.

It looks like the Bulgarians just came out with one that is about $10-15 cheaper than the Circle 10's with similar metal reinforcements.

post-4669-0-72976100-1343834844_thumb.jpg

KVAR has them in stock.

I got an email from KVAR too. First one to get their hands on one post a comparison with the Circle 10s! I intend on ordering at least a couple to try out.

I'm waiting to hear back from KVAR about some FSB plunger components so i can finally finish my 132 up. I think i'm gonna order 2-3 of those Bulgy mags at the same time, they look interesting.

Am i mistaken in thinking the Russian and Bulgy circle mags had a full metal spine all the way to the floor plate?

I'm waiting to hear back from KVAR about some FSB plunger components so i can finally finish my 132 up. I think i'm gonna order 2-3 of those Bulgy mags at the same time, they look interesting.

Am i mistaken in thinking the Russian and Bulgy circle mags had a full metal spine all the way to the floor plate?

check this out... http://sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=419