Getting Ready to "Pull The Trigger"

Early on after I joined the board here I asked about extending the range of my MAK90 with accuracy and one suggestion was to get the TWS Dog Leg and then some scope recommendations. The Dog Leg is in place and I've been spending time learning about the different choices in optics etc. I wish I had the means to go around $500 for this but I don't at this point.

One suggestion back then was the Millet DMS 1-4x24. I've been checking it out and it's doable for me and it seems as though it will fill the bill for now. As I've never had a scoped gun I could spend a lot of time reading and researching but at some point I need to just do it.

I'm thinking the Millet is the way to go for now but I wanted to say it out loud to see if anyone has input.

Sure, why not? :D

Honestly man, I can't give you any specific guidance with your project. The only optic I ever use on my 7.62x39s is a PK-23 red dot, (no magnification). How far out are you trying to stretch that MAK90?

I've got a POSP I don't really use, (reticle won't illuminate and I'm not sure how to fix it), and an older Weaver 3-9x scope that came with the 30-06 I inherited, but the majority of the shooting I do is with good ol iron sights.

How far? I'd say "Mid-Range". It would be foolish to think I or most people could make a...oh wait I almost used the "SR" phrase...gain long range accuracy with an AK. And if my eyesight was a good as many, or as good as yours I probably wouldn't be thinking along these lines. Rather than go back through it all again, I'll just paste something I said in the thread about putting a Tritium front bead on an S-12;

One reason is eyesight. If you have 20/20 vision uncorrected, I'm happy for you. In my case, my vision hasn't been that good since I was 10 years old. I have to wear glasses (tried contacts, drove me nuts) to see the front sight clearly when shooting a rifle but I can see the factory front bead on an S-12 clear enough without correction because I'm near-sighted. But unless the front bead is against a light background it's not so clear.

Add to this the fact that I was diagnosed during my last eye exam as having the early stages of "Endothelial Distrophy" which means my corneas are clouding up, it adds up to a situation in which an easier to see front bead would be a big help.....

So for the same reasons I'd like to have an "enhanced" way to shoot a little further with the MAK. But from what I've read and I assume the reason for the initial recommendation is that this Millet scope is also good for short, close in sighting also.

I'll probably get my corneas replaced at some point but I think I'll wait til my eyesight gets worse. It's not that bad now, just bad enough to make using irons a pain in the eye, er, ass.

I have a Millet DMS 1x4 and love it. I don't know if I'd use it on a MAK though. A 308 perhaps.

Ok, might I ask why you aren't sure you'd use it on a MAK? And would you have something else you'd suggest? I didn't mention it earlier but one thing I like about an optic (as opposed to irons) is the diopter adjustment, again this due to my eyesight. I'd prefer to not have to rely on my glasses.

PA, yes...the avatar image is almost too small to see it but I like the look on her face...she went from stoned oblivion to kicking ass with a Bren gun. I like Guy Richie's work, this movie, Snatch and Revolver. I wish he'd made more like these or maybe he will who knows? I think he pulls off what Quentin Tarantino just tries to...

...PA, yes...the avatar image is almost too small to see it but I like the look on her face...she went from stoned oblivion to kicking ass with a Bren gun. I like Guy Richie's work, this movie, Snatch and Revolver. I wish he'd made more like these or maybe he will who knows? I think he pulls off what Quentin Tarantino just tries to...

Yeah, I tend to agree with ya. Tarantino hasn't made a flick I really like since Pulp Fiction. Since then, he's been snorting too much coke and wayyyy too much of his own smug.

Snatch is one of my favorites. I don't know that I've seen Revolver yet. I'll have to rectify that soon.

I don't know that I've seen Revolver yet. I'll have to rectify that soon.

You should see it, there's a very important message in that film but I didn't pick up on it right away.

Ok, any other suggestions given the facts in this case? eyes_droped.gif

I see that the Millet is 11" long...might this be cumbersome on a shorter rifle like a MAK?

PA I hope you get back from the corn field soon....

Edited by Squishy

Alrightly then, any other suggestions along the lines of the Millet? I would be interested in a similar capability in a more compact package, and, I'd entertain spending more, just a few more visits to the blood bank.

I know no matter what I end up with I'll learn a lot about optics and that's a good thing. But making a choice that works well for both short and medium range and will last, is a plus.