Cleaning chemicals?

What is your weapon of choice when it comes to cleaning, I think I'll rain-x the gas block next time I clean it, what a pain, do you guys know of some super chemical that eats the crud? I'm using all kinds of things, and the brass 12 guage bore brush on a cordless drill like a roto rooter.

I heard mineral spirits and type writer oil works, hoppes sux, awsome and amonia is go for final clean, nitro solvent helps but $$$.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Birchwood Casey GunScrubber, the Synthetic Safe version, for 5+ years. It cuts through everything. I stress the synthetic safe version, b/c their regular product will eat cheaper plastics.

It will look like it strips the finish off the outside, but it's just a little residue. A little light oil, which you're gonna do anyway, and it disappears.

I've also used Formula 3 with pretty good results. Not the best for heavy-duty crud. It's great for regular cleaning and can be used as an oil. The first time I used it was the last time I used Hoppe's. Too bad, though. The smell of Hoppe's brings back some good memories. Someone suggested using it as a cologne.....

Avoid a product called MPro-7, if they still even make it. Sucks.

I hosed mine down with Winchester brand gun scrubber after I converted and it started running black with the paint that was being eaten off of it. So stay away from that unless you have a tougher finish and know it'll work. I use One Shot on the internals. It's like gun scrubber, but leaves a dry (graphite based I believe??) lube behind after it dries.

I'm trying to keep cost down, and so far mineral spirits has won, it just melts the goo off the gas parts, was really suprised to get the result from it. I'll going to try mixing just a little typewriter oil with it in a test bottle. less money on cleaner =more ammo.