Opinions on options for an AR muzzle brake on my Saiga 223

I have a SureFire MB556K on my Colt 6940. While it may be obnoxious to those unfortunate enough to be standing to the side of me, it does an excellent job of nearly eliminating muzzle rise. Followup shots are super fast.

I want to put the same brake on my Saiga 223 but have some questions about my options.

At first I was thinking large. Since the muzzle would need to be threaded anyway, I was considering having the FSB moved closer to the gas block, and shortening and recrowning the barrel to 14.5", so it would be just over 16" with the comp. I don't know anyone who does that kind of work, except maybe over at Tromix (and they are not accepting work orders until 2015 according to their website!). Are there smiths that would do a good job and wouldn't break the bank for this?

My second, somewhat less appealing option, is to just have the barrel threaded and have a SureFire break mounted to the existing barrel setup. I could live with a ~18" barrel. This could be done locally for me fairly inexpensively.

Any thoughts, pro or con? Any reason I should NOT go ahead with this? Thanks in advance.

I find that going to 14.5 with a pinned on brake makes a big difference to me. The couple of inches between 16 and 18 seem like a big deal on my weapons. This guy does that kind of work and does it well for small amount of coin. It is from JB Armory.

Edited by tritium
: non-vendor link removed per forum rules

Is a muzzle brake really effective on a 223 or is that more of a "tactiCOOL" option? I don't find the recoil of the 223 worth anything (it's a joke compared to other, more serious, calibers. This coming from a guy raised on 12ga shotguns). I'm not nocking a muzzle break. I'm just wondering ... is it really worth it (on a 223)??

Is a muzzle brake really effective on a 223 or is that more of a "tactiCOOL" option? I don't find the recoil of the 223 worth anything (it's a joke compared to other, more serious, calibers. This coming from a guy raised on 12ga shotguns). I'm not nocking a muzzle break. I'm just wondering ... is it really worth it (on a 223)??

A muzzle brake on a 223 is not a "must have", like it is on a 308. But it does make a substantial difference. I used to have straight barrel target ARs. I picked up a Colt M4-gery and realized there was definitely some muzzle rise in a lightweight (~5lb) ar. The Surefire muzzle brake made a big difference getting back on target fast.

• Like 1

no matter how soft the recoil is.. making it more soft means less time off target..

By far the absolute best compensator I have ever seen is the "BattleComp" compensator. I have seen this compensator in action and it is amazing compared to a handful of others. A simple google search will take you to their home page. Just my .02 but this is where I would spend my $$.

http://youtu.be/u08yQo-ykgE

Comparing the feel of my bare-muzzled .223 to the way it felt after installing Bulgy '74 components, the difference is huge. I knew it the second I shot the rifle after adding the brake. No, .223 is not a huge kicker, but it dows generate some muzzle rise out of the 16" barrel.

I know this is a pretty unscientific comparison, but compare video of these two shooting sessions. One video is myself with '74 brake, and another is a fellow Saiga .223 owner who left his muzzle bare. We are both shooting with a similar stance and appear to be about the same size physically. One has quite a bit more visible recoil/muzzle rise. Having shot mine both ways, I can say that it isn't the shooter making the difference in these two videos.

Bare muzzle:

.223 with AK-74 brake: