UGH! So, I bought an 8 round Surefire mag ....

based upon the recommendation of a VERY helpful forum member. I'm THRILLED with the quality and operation and the price was VERY cheap! He was spot on!!!

My problem is I'm an architect and I can't get that oh so seXXXy image of an Izzy 8 round mag out of my head. I want to buy one but I can't justify spending more than $100. I mean, it's an 8 round mag for cripes sakes! When/how is the best time to buy one? Is it even possible for that price? Functionally, I think the Surefire has to be damn close. It's smooth as glass and is VERY well built. The Izzy, well, it's an Izzy. Paying for the mystique and name. Yes, I'm sure the function is amazing as well.

I don't need a ton of magazines. I have two Izzy 5's, I want to get an Izzy 8 and maybe a Pro-mag 12 round drum for fun. :)

I plan on the Saiga to run as a Kushnapup for HD but I like switching back and forth depending upon when I go out to shoot. I also have a UTG quad rail, Tapco fore arm and Phoenix Kick-lite stock (I have a bad right shoulder). It literally takes 10 minutes to completely swap the gun from one set up to another. I have a Tapco fore grip but I think I'm going to buy an AFG2 for kicks to try it.

Edited by pjd393

When/how is the best time to buy one? Is it even possible for that price? Functionally, I think the Surefire has to be damn close. It's smooth as glass and is VERY well built. The Izzy, well, it's an Izzy. Paying for the mystique and name. Yes, I'm sure the function is amazing as well.

You get what you pay for.

The Izzy mag is sweet, no I dont own one, aint gona pay that price.

You buy when you find one, if you want to pay.

I have 15 10 rounders stick mags, 7 5 rounders, 3 20 round drums and 1 12 round drum.

Some say that aint enough, some say the is to many, I say to each His own.

I still want more 10 round mags, the drums are good for the range.

The 10 round mags are just easier to carry for me.

Edited by RED333

I want to buy one but I can't justify spending more than $100. I mean, it's an 8 round mag for cripes sakes! When/how is the best time to buy one? Is it even possible for that price?

there is no "When/how is the best time to buy one". you can do one of two things, 1)scour the internet board and auction sites daily and see if you can find one for under 100 bucks, and good luck on that or 2) get off the pot and get one. those are the only 2 choices you got.

I had a Russian 8 and sold it. I needed more drums at the time and made a few dollars on the 8. It looks like I have another 8 coming as soon as I can pay myself. The MD-20 drums have been excellent even though they are quite large. I have some SGM 12s and a 10. They have all been great, but I wouldn't load them full with 3" and raise hell with them for fear of breaking the rear tab. for me, the ability to load the Russian 8 full with 3" and not worry breaking it is the most attractive thing about them aside from the looks. Of course, Russian 5s are fine for that duty if you don;t feel the need for 8 rounds of 3" in one loading. I doubt that one will be found for $100 or less. It may happen, but you will have to be the first to see it, which is against the odds. Someday they may go for $250 and we will all wish we had nabbed a bunch of them when they were $140 ;)

I have said this before and I keep thinking I am right; It seems that with the Russians using the new models and magwell mags, the rock and lock mags may not be as widely used as they once were. This leads me to believe that production of rock and lock mags will be going down, if not all together, one day. Maybe I am wrong, but this is the reason I bought my Izzy8 recently. I hope I am wrong and production is increased and they flood the market.

based upon the recommendation of a VERY helpful forum member. I'm THRILLED with the quality and operation and the price was VERY cheap! He was spot on!!!

My problem is I'm an architect and I can't get that oh so seXXXy image of an Izzy 8 round mag out of my head. I want to buy one but I can't justify spending more than $100. I mean, it's an 8 round mag for cripes sakes! When/how is the best time to buy one? Is it even possible for that price? Functionally, I think the Surefire has to be damn close. It's smooth as glass and is VERY well built. The Izzy, well, it's an Izzy. Paying for the mystique and name. Yes, I'm sure the function is amazing as well.

To each his own and I'm well aware of the cult following of the Izzy 8 on the forum but I doubt I'll ever own one, despite the "mystique". Other than the factory Izzy 5 rounder that came with my S12 (500 bucks total) all I've run are SGM 8's and an MD20. The biggest functional difference is none, at least in my case. I use and abuse everything before I consider a weapon reliable for HD and have had zero problems with SGM and MD. I wouldn't go over an 8 with stick mags but that's just my personal preference. I also consider the MD20 too bulky for other than range use. I'll probably get the 12 round ProMag drum next as I hear it's just as reliable. I won't knock anyone else's preferences but expect to get a smidgen of flak about mine. Oh well.

To each his own and I'm well aware of the cult following of the Izzy 8 on the forum but I doubt I'll ever own one, despite the "mystique". Other than the factory Izzy 5 rounder that came with my S12 (500 bucks total) all I've run are SGM 8's and an MD20. The biggest functional difference is none, at least in my case. I use and abuse everything before I consider a weapon reliable for HD and have had zero problems with SGM and MD. I wouldn't go over an 8 with stick mags but that's just my personal preference. I also consider the MD20 too bulky for other than range use. I'll probably get the 12 round ProMag drum next as I hear it's just as reliable. I won't knock anyone else's preferences but expect to get a smidgen of flak about mine. Oh well.

Don't get me wrong, I own many SGM mags and they are fine for what I use them for. Have you loaded the SGM full with Remington Express 3"? The Russian 8 is certainly more durable and that is the functional difference. Other than that, they are functionally equal.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I own many SGM mags and they are fine for what I use them for. Have you loaded the SGM full with Remington Express 3"? The Russian 8 is certainly more durable and that is the functional difference. Other than that, they are functionally equal.

To be quite honest, no I haven't done that, although I do have some of the said Remington on hand to try out. I respect your opinion as least as much as I do any one else's on the forum and will take your word for it. However, I'm simply not going to use that stuff in a HD situation. If I can't get it done with 2 and 3/4 buckshot, it ain't gonna happen.

OK, so I'm a wuss.

• Like 1

Tac,

No big deal. Just saying that the tab on the SGM mags is the limiting factor. 3" shells are fine in it, but I don't recommend loading more than a few at a time. The weight of a full mag and the recoil of full power ammo could break the tab. For uses other than loading mags full with 3" buckshot, there is no functional difference other than overall durability. However, using SGMs in a magwell which requires no tab levels the playing field a bit. It just depends on what the user wants to fire and where they want to go with the weapon.

Be ready. That Rem Express 3" is all-out punishing. I am very hard to bruise and it gave me one that was about 1 1/2" in diameter. I fired about 800-900 rounds that weekend though (various loads from bulk to Express). The Rem stuck out as the clear winner in the punishment category. It made Win 3" 00 buck look civilized. I like watching other people fire it with my triangle folder ;)

Tac,

No big deal. Just saying that the tab on the SGM mags is the limiting factor. 3" shells are fine in it, but I don't recommend loading more than a few at a time. The weight of a full mag and the recoil of full power ammo could break the tab. For uses other than loading mags full with 3" buckshot, there is no functional difference other than overall durability. However, using SGMs in a magwell which requires no tab levels the playing field a bit. It just depends on what the user wants to fire and where they want to go with the weapon.

Be ready. That Rem Express 3" is all-out punishing. I am very hard to bruise and it gave me one that was about 1 1/2" in diameter. I fired about 800-900 rounds that weekend though (various loads from bulk to Express). The Rem stuck out as the clear winner in the punishment category. It made Win 3" 00 buck look civilized. I like watching other people fire it with my triangle folder wink.png

I fired some of this 3" stuff last weekend, just out of curiosity. I was shooting my triangle folder conversion, with a slip on rubber recoil pad from rusmilitary:

2012-06-06_12-17-13_340.jpg

Winchester.jpg

I was using the SGM 8 rounder and the factory 5 rounder. Holy cow - no problems cycling that stuff with either mag...ejected the empty shells into the stratosphere. I'm pretty sure this stuff recoils like the Remington Express. It was also very punishing, and not really enjoyable at all. At least I know it will cycle the stuff, but I'm with TacticoolTim...don't plan on shooting anymore of it anytime soon.

Tac,

Be ready. That Rem Express 3" is all-out punishing. I am very hard to bruise and it gave me one that was about 1 1/2" in diameter. I fired about 800-900 rounds that weekend though (various loads from bulk to Express). The Rem stuck out as the clear winner in the punishment category. It made Win 3" 00 buck look civilized. I like watching other people fire it with my triangle folder wink.png

I fired some of this 3" stuff last weekend, just out of curiosity. I was shooting my triangle folder conversion, with a slip on rubber recoil pad from rusmilitary:

2012-06-06_12-17-13_340.jpg

Winchester.jpg

I was using the SGM 8 rounder and the factory 5 rounder. Holy cow - no problems cycling that stuff with either mag...ejected the empty shells into the stratosphere. I'm pretty sure this stuff recoils like the Remington Express. It was also very punishing, and not really enjoyable at all. At least I know it will cycle the stuff, but I'm with TacticoolTim...don't plan on shooting anymore of it anytime soon.

These weapons are designed to cycle these loads. they should all run with like loads as long as there isn't something majorly wrong with the weapon.

Try a box of that REM Express.... with no pad on the folder sick.gif

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 1

I ran some 3" 00 Federal Vital-Shok through my Saiga the other weekend. First round I got clocked in the nose by the nob on my ATI folder/collapsible because I wasn't ready for it, I have since decided to change that out for just a flat folder. I can handle the ammo just fine, but it's not something to shoot all day, and the Hornady Critical Defense 2 3/4" has just as good penetration.

On that note, though, I did have some issues with 2 3/4" rounds feeding from the Izzy 5rd magazines, the last round would almost always push up into the top of the chamber, wedging the round between the bolt and the top of the chamber. I didn't have that problem with my Promag drum. Anyone else have that problem or have any suggestions?

Edited by Kylsix

Alright, I'll try to burn some of the Remington this weekend, but I'll probably be sorry. LOL!

I don't know about sorry, but you will certainly be awake after that first shot ;) The Rem is especially interesting at dawn or dusk with my 8". It makes for a huge cone-shaped fireball. Around 2 feet in diameter at the muzzle and about 3 or 4 feet long to the tip. A fitting word for the Express would be "overkill". The stuff is downright nonsensical. It must be what Tim "The Toolman" Taylor shoots.... ugh

• Like 1

The Rem is especially interesting at dawn or dusk with my 8". It makes for a huge cone-shaped fireball. Around 2 feet in diameter at the muzzle and about 3 or 4 feet long to the tip. A fitting word for the Express would be "overkill". The stuff is downright nonsensical. It must be what Tim "The Toolman" Taylor shoots.... ugh

I keep an Izzy-5 of it in 00 locked into my shotgun for HD. Good stuff. I chrono'ed the slug version at 1588 average last year.

Edited by Netpackrat

You say Rem Express eh? I guess I'll price a Lot of those...

I'm rather fond of these shells myself. And despite having been told years ago by several prominent forum members (now business members at that!) that I was gonna pound my gun apart, it still continues to function as intended. Ha.

But no, I've never run more than about 15-20 at a time. They do kick a bit.