AK Mags and Mag Catch Before Bullet Guide?

Hello, thanks for all the help thus far. I have done the trigger and stock conversions and waiting for the bullet guide to get here. I got a Tapco Mag in the mail before I got the bullet guide. I got the Tapco Mag because they had a Dark Earth color and I know there is a lot of arguments about these mags, but I will find out on my own. Anyways, from what I have read, I want to go ahead and file a little off of the mag catch (the one right in front of the trigger that you push to release the mag) instead of filing off each AK mag that you get? If this is the case, I'm guessing it's alright to get that ready before I put the bullet guide in; I don't see how the bullet guide is going to affect the seating of the Mag, right? Any comments, tips, links, to doing this would be appreciated.

Edited: I might mention that I have the Saiga IZ132 7.62, 09 year

Edited by AK Okie

you are right in that the bullet guide is not need right now for you to fit the mag to the gun. But a word of caution, try to find a metal surplus mag first. Borrow one, go buy on. I have several different surplus mags and all my metal mags have a thinner locking tab. If you fit the saiga to the tapco mags and you decide to use metal mags down the road, the metal mags maybe a little lose and you may have rounds jam on you. Not saying they would but it is possible. Not sure what the rest of the board does, but I have some tapco mags and took just a little off the locking tab and they have held up just fine and they have a lifetime warranty if the locking tab was to break.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I am not the OP but I used a dremel with a tungsten carbide bit with the mag catch still on the rifle. You have to watch to make sure you don't slip off the piece and mar your finish but it isn't difficult. Check the fit of your mag frequently till you get it where you want Like everyone has said it is best to use a steel surplus mag to fit the mag catch as the Tapco mags are a little thick in the mag catch area, but they will work in fine if you fit the catch to a steel surplus mag.

Not the OP either,but I drilled the mag cach pin slightly,punched it out removed the catch fit it with a file and a stone lightly,used a slve roll pin in the catch to test with until the mags snapped in.

Then I reassembled everything ,including the drilled mag catch pin and used a c clamp and a small round steel BB that is used with sling shots to reflare the mag catch pin.

If you make a mistake there are online vendors that sell the mag catches .