New Guy with my 12ga Russian/ Romy AKM Build

Hello everyone,

Ive been lurking around here off and on since last year. Ive been wanting to do a Saiga build for quite a while. Kept putting it off untill prices at local shops (Atlanta GA.) hit rediculous highs (over $700). I finally found one un-modded on a local classified for a good price and got started.

I really wanted it to look like a classic AKM, the gun it owes its hreatige to. I didnt try and make it historically correct, just have the look and feel.

First its just a basic conversion, Tapco FCG and grip. Polished the bolt/ carrier, rails and trigger components. USA made muzzle device.

then I got a Romy "Dong" forward hand guard. Hogged out the inside and made a lower hand guard retainer by welding a tab to the front.

I know I can just buy this from Dinzag, But sometimes I need to exercise the TIG welder.

I had some Scarlett RITT dye mixed with urethane left over from another project, and I just like the contrast of the blood red against the black rifle.

The wire stock is Polish, locks up tight and with the 1" rubber pad, is pretty easy to shoot. At $80 from a local gun show its not cheap, but its still reasonable if you like the look. Untill I get a US made gas Puck, as long as I use US made mags, Im 922r compliant.

Im working on making my own FSB and a Bayonet mount. Ive still got to plug the holes for the old trigger location. A little at a time, she will get finished up.

Its been a really enjoyable project and its awesome to shoot!!!

Thanks to everyone here for all the usefull info you have posted.

Here are a few pictures.

post-37072-0-57653400-1341694018_thumb.jpg

post-37072-0-14971400-1341694042_thumb.jpg

post-37072-0-00428900-1341693897_thumb.jpg

post-37072-0-42082800-1341693905.jpg

Edited by mark.j

Thanks, Maybe now Ill have more to contribute now That I have acctually built one of these things!

Its pretty adictive. Now Im looking for a Saiga in 7.62 to convert!! Ive got some Russian furniture looking for a home!!

-Mark

Thanks guys. Yeah, the dogs were allowed to take a break from their usual fence patrol (a job they take very seriously ;) to pose for the "first and last line of defense" pic.

evlblkwpnz, very true that everyone has a different idea of what they would consider the ulitimate Saiga12. I I know mine is a little different than most, but thats why I posted the pics. I do love that little SBS in your avatar!!!

I also wanted to maintain the AK heritage...I did go with the Dinzag Arms conversion, and the AK 100 style triangle folder:

2012-06-06_12-17-13_340.jpg

I also exercised the TIG welder and plugged the holes and welded the rear trunnion and reinforcing plate.

Everyone has their own style conversion, and that's cool.

Your conversion is awesome! Have you fired it yet?

Lived in Jonesboro and Stockbridge from "81 - "05. I still have family in Riverdale and Jonesboro, behind the Confederate Cemetary.

Fairly new member myself; welcome aboard!

• Like 1

Man, love those Dinzag rear sight block conversions!! The AK100 side folder was my first choice, But they are getting pretty hard to find right now, and those who have them are WAY proud of 'em!

Yep, Ive shot it!! Its probabbly the most fun gun to shoot that Ive got right now! Ive always been a handgun guy, got a few rifles, but this Saiga 12 is a real hoot!!

Right now, Im limited to 00 Buck at my local indoor range up in Gwinnett. The public outdoor I shoot at (Charlie Elliot) only allows a few rounds slow fired from shottys to "check pattern only".

A buddy of mine has 10 acres just down the road, had a chance to put 20 rounds of Winchester AA target load through it and it ran great. Hope to be able to go over there and shoot some more, cause at $.50 a shell for the Buck, its something I just treat myself too every now and then.....

Right now, Im limited to 00 Buck at my local indoor range up in Gwinnett.

The public outdoor I shoot at (Charlie Elliot) only allows a few rounds slow fired from shottys to "check pattern only".

A buddy of mine has 10 acres just down the road, had a chance to put 20 rounds of Winchester AA target load through it and it ran great. Hope to be able to go over there and shoot some more, cause at $.50 a shell for the Buck, its something I just treat myself too every now and then.....

What indoor range to you use in Gwinnett?

The DNR has just ruined their outdoor ranges with no-fun-allowed rules and anal-retentive range officers.

You are very lucky to have private land to shoot on.

GKW, I shoot up at Bullseye in Gwinnett. They have a small rifle range (4 or 5 positions). They are happy to let you shoot shotguns, have no restrictions on rate of fire, but due to the rubber backstop, they only allow 00 or slugs. Its dark, dirty and rundown, but its only $80 for a 6 month membership, all you can shoot, no other fees. My kinda place.... Also shoot bowling pin matches there every thurs. night, good fun with a good group of guys.

May not be able to shoot over at my buddies house anymore, I guess it freaked his wife out too much sad.png. That really sucks! We were shooting into a hillside with over 10 acres of heavily wooded land behind, totally safe for birdshot, but its not my call.

Edited by mark.j

nice rv! i like the saigas ok to, lolz!!!! i experimented wiyh those rommy hgs and almost sent myself to emer. room!!! grinder slipped n gouged my wrist

got pics of your rv build progression?

heres one i modded

ms12folded.jpg

IMG_20120401_095309.jpg

Edited by saltydecimator

RamLake, Ill send you a PM next time I go to bullseye with the Saiga. Ill be shooting bowling pins tomorrow night, probably wont get there early enough to play in the rifle range.

Charlie Elliott is a nice range, but no shotguns allowed except for clays.

Saltydecimator, That was one of the first RV-4 completions. I dont remember the S/N, but it was under 100, and completed before most others. I was the second owner. Got it from an old guy in northern California. Brought it back to GA where I gave it a restoration. Needed sheetmetal work, cracked gear/engine mounts, leaking tanks, you name it. fresh paint and polish, It came out great, most fun plane Ive ever owned. Had to sell it recently due to economy hitting hard. Will get another one, but Ill never own another polished airplane! 2 days of polishing and they look great for 2 more days.... then you spend a month chasing fingerprints!!

The underfolder is awesome. Thought about it, but it was going to be a lot of work so I chikened out!! you pulled it off really nicely!!!

RamLake, Ill send you a PM next time I go to bullseye with the Saiga. Ill be shooting bowling pins tomorrow night, probably wont get there early enough to play in the rifle range.

Charlie Elliott is a nice range, but no shotguns allowed except for clays.

Saltydecimator, That was one of the first RV-4 completions. I dont remember the S/N, but it was under 100, and completed before most others. I was the second owner. Got it from an old guy in northern California. Brought it back to GA where I gave it a restoration. Needed sheetmetal work, cracked gear/engine mounts, leaking tanks, you name it. fresh paint and polish, It came out great, most fun plane Ive ever owned. Had to sell it recently due to economy hitting hard. Will get another one, but Ill never own another polished airplane! 2 days of polishing and they look great for 2 more days.... then you spend a month chasing fingerprints!!

The underfolder is awesome. Thought about it, but it was going to be a lot of work so I chikened out!! you pulled it off really nicely!!!

I have always shot shotties at CE ?, last time 4 months ago, going back this saturday.

Edited by RamLake