Saiga purchasing advice

I have had handguns for years, but I am now ready to purchase a rifle. For $209, I figure I can't lose with the Saiga.

I saw the "how to" link, and it looks like something a novice should not attempt. http://harringt.home.mindspring.com/Pages/kalashnikovs.htm

To do the FULL conversion, how much would a gunsmith charge in labor and would he be willing to do it? I'm starting to think that maybe I should just buy an AK for $600 and save myself the hassle.

Right now it looks like the following:

Gun- $209

Parts- $100

30 round mags- $80

Labor- ?????

Any help would be tremendously appreciated.

Edited by asu174

30 round AK mags can be had for more like $10-$20.I think you could have a Saiga conversion done for less than the cost of an AK, generally speaking.The thing to keep in mind is that the Saigas are purebread Russian, made in the same factory as the original AK47s.Sure, you could get a Romanian made AK for @ $300, but the coolness factor just isn't there compared to the Russian AKs.Most dealers sell non Russian AKs for downright silly prices.My local dealer had a Romak for $429.00 and I couldn't believe it but somebody actually bought the damn thing!! :lolol:

There is some legal mumbo jumbo involved in putting a high cap mag on a stock Saiga.I might recommend getting one and shooting it as it is from the factory.My Saiga is in stock configuration, with the gay hunting stock, and I absolutely love it.I put a scope and a totally unnecessairy bipod on mine and I think it is a damn fine rifle for the $$ invested.

As far as finding a gunsmith that will do a conversion for you, you'd have to ask around your area.I know the gunsmith that does work for my local dealer wouldn't be too keen on working on one of those " evil black assault weapons".But there's alot of guys into that sort of thing that would do it, probobly for less than $200, but I really don't know.

There is some legal mumbo jumbo involved in putting a high cap mag on a stock Saiga.I might recommend getting one and shooting it as it is from the factory.My Saiga is in stock configuration, with the gay hunting stock, and I absolutely love it.I put a scope and a totally unnecessairy bipod on mine and I think it is a damn fine rifle for the $$ invested.

As far as finding a gunsmith that will do a conversion for you, you'd have to ask around your area.I know the gunsmith that does work for my local dealer wouldn't be too keen on working on one of those " evil black assault weapons".But there's alot of guys into that sort of thing that would do it, probobly for less than $200, but I really don't know.

hey i just finished my first conversion the other day thanks to sheiks website. i was planning on having a gun smith do it but he wanted like 500 not including parts. ak-103.com will move your trigger forward and convert it to ak mags for you for 235 and all you will have to do is put in your us parts if you dont feel confortable drilling and milling your self

I just finished my 1st conversion a few days ago. It's a no brainer. Just follow the steps on Sheiks' Conversion web site and/or get the Conversion CD from Messiah Jones. I enjoyed it so much i'm thinking about buying another Saiga to convert.

Can someone explain this to me? Pulled from the www.ak-103 website.....

1. Does the $395 include the rifle or is that just for parts and labor? The part that says "subtract $160 for customer suppled rifle leads me to believe that it is, indeed, included.

2. If the rifle is not included, which items will I need to have the pistol grip and 30 round mag added? I don't really need anything else, although I wouldn't mind a new butt.

Basic Saiga Conversion: $395.00

Relocate trigger, make provision for pistol grip, install bullet feed guide, modify magazine catch, rivet old axis pin holes. No furniture, fire control parts or refinishing included. Subtract $160 for customer supplied rifle.

Upgrades to basic Saiga conversion

PRICE SERVICE

A $135 Supply and install K-VAR furniture - pistol grip (including screw and block), and buttstock

B $100 Complete refinish of rifle. See above for details.

C $55 Supply and install GTEC fire control parts

D $150 Attach compensator (includes compensator and adapter)

E $155 Supply and install military 2-piece handguard reatiner (includes removal & re-install of gas block & front sight) includes gas tube

F $135 Upgrade to (D). Supply and install threaded military front sight assembly (Requires D) (E is recommended)

G $15 Color factory markings

H $55 Furniture upgrade to (A), upper and lower forends. Requires E.

I $35 Furniture upgrade to (A), upper and lower forends. Requires E.

J $25 Return shipping (required)

K $55 Change gas piston (US). Not required unless using foreign furniture

L $10 Use green or plum K-VAR furniture

M $100 Weld old axis pin and rivet holes (6)

N $25 Upgrade to 1000M rear sight

O $45 Cut and re-crown barrel to 103K - 7.62 caliber only

if you want an AK just buy an AK! If you want an AK in disguise :super: get the Saiga. i don't plan on doing any conversions to my Saiga i like it just the way it i. i will do something with the optics but other than that.

just buy one of these from AIM Surplus (www.aimsurplus.com)

sarone.gif

for $289 and go buy new black furniture from KVAR

S! Hi asu174,

It depends alot on want you want and are willing to pay for. If you are after a completed rifle with all the bells and whisles then I would buy AKUSA's finished Saiga. Runs about 800ish for a rifle with all the custom work.

I worked from the opposite direction. I decided I wanted an AK and then went to look at one at my local gunshop. My 1st look at a AK type up close scared me..yeesh. Kinda brutal looking beast compared to what I'm used to and priced to scare too. I remembered seeing a black, AK looking rifle at the local sporting good store and drove all the way back home to look. I wrote down the names on the side and came home to "search"..ended up here. :lolol: 189 from Durhams the next day. I still will probably buy a AKUSA rifle sooner or later but currently I'm enjoying adding aftermarket parts to my Saiga(with everyones help here). I can't do the muzzle break or AK split style forearms yet but I got distracted by my the SAR I bought and the kit I'm buying and the gun show coming in two weeks...AHHHHHHHH I'm ADDICTED! :blink:

Bet that helped alot, huh?

if you want an AK just buy an AK! If you want an AK in disguise :super: get the Saiga. i don't plan on doing any conversions to my Saiga i like it just the way it i. i will do something with the optics but other than that.

sarone.gif

I actually don't mind the wood. Are Romanian AK's decent quality?

sarone.gif

Yes, I like the sporter the way it is also. It is a unique looking sporting rifle. It has spurred me towards AK's since I bought it. I considered converting it but I just can't find a reason. I have decided to try to build one being that I am laid up from knee surgery. I have slowly been aquiring the parts to legally build a mainly U.S. AK. I am confident that one can be assembled with simple hand tools and I hope to prove it!