question about gas ports

New Saiga 12, shot it say 100 rounds, cycles fine with bird or buck with adjustment to gas plug so that part is all fine.

I am doing some work to it and was checking the gas system to see what the ports looked like and to check for all the normal stuff that guys are having to do.

My set up is a 3 port and each of the ports is angles back as they should be so that is good.

I took a rough measurement of the holes and I am wondering if this is normal.

The center hole is .073" (aprox)

Both outer holes are .058" (aprox)

Does this all seem normal?

Mike

Yep, seems normal that they are mismatched from the factory.

If it runs, it runs and you shouldnt really worry about it too much.

If (when) you do the conversion and it starts acting up, there are a few things you can do to remedy it.

Isnt that true.

A gun will have a FTE with one person and run great with another.

How solidly you keep the weapon in the shoulder dictates all.

Thats why some of us who have had our young ladies shoot the Saiga, find

them to run a bit iffy as typically a woman unless she is a trained shooter, moves back with the gun more,

Edited by Dyna962007
  • Like 1

I put a pad on my buttstock and it immediatly started failing to eject or FTE, thats when I ported mine, mine is a 4 port but the concept is the same, went ahead and polished the carrier and bolt with mothers polish after a little sanding on the rough edges, and it seems like it's never ending as far as mods go lol, enjoy.

Isnt that true.

them to run a bit iffy as typically a woman unless she is a trained shooter, moves back with the gun more,

That is exactly why I have my wife do the final testing of everything. When the 8" ran Winchester Universal with her, I knew I nailed it.

• Like 3

Isnt that true.

That is exactly why I have my wife do the final testing of everything. When the 8" ran Winchester Universal with her, I knew I nailed it.

Leave it to you to come up with the perfect quality control protocols, LOL

mike

• 4 weeks later...

I took my S-12 to the range this evening and decided to shoot 100 rounds through it. No major problems... ran 50 rounds of Win AA no FTEs and ran 50 rounds of the wally world Win Universal through it with only a few FTEs.

I notcied the action on my gun is getting much smoother that I have ran a bunch of rounds through it now.

So tonight I took the gun apart for a good cleaning and noticed that the back of the bolt carrier is missing the black finish now and the top cover is a little loose.. No major peening on the bolt carrier yet though..I have a MD arms adjustment plug on it on the second from last lowest setting when I cycle the AA target loads through it.... but I get major FTEs on the lowest setting even with the AA loads.

I'm afraid the cover is going to pop off if I run some slugs through it even on the lowest setting. How do you fix a possibly over-gassed gun?

I really don't think a buffer is a fix, only a band-aid solution that will probably make more problems.

Note: I also have a CSS booster puck on it and I never messed with the stock gas ports.

Edited by NashuaGuns

It seems to me that you play with the settings with the least amount of gas until the rounds stop feeding and cycling properly.

and there is no way to be over gassed if you do it that way. You want just enough gas to cyle everything reliably and no more.

Then do the same thing for your hotter rounds and keep track of the setting for future use and so long as you keep using that ammo, you are good to go. mike

• Like 1